• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Since when have you been watching Rugby?

<div class='quotemain'> Earliest RWC i can remember is the '95 one.
I was interested in football before that.
[/b]

I have never heard of a welsh football fan. Or at least known of one. Thats blasphemy
[/b][/quote]
I have a mate whos mum is Kiwi and dad is welsh and he can't stand rugby...work that one out...

Earliest rugby memories are of going to watch my Dad play on a Saturday afternoon, and taking passing interest in the highlights they showed on TV on a Sunday afternoon. Scarily enough, when I was too young to know better I liked Wasps because of their shirts. Scary. Always remember watching the likes of Orrell, Richmond and West Hartlepool playing top flight rugby, but didn't really know much about the sport. So we're talking early 1990s.

My first love was football because it was what all my friends liked, but I went and watched my first professional match (Northampton vs Leicester) at about the same time I was getting disillusioned with football. No 10 year old kid likes to lose every week, and I had to captain a bunch of f*** ups! I got so ****** off that my Dad suggested I go down to his old club and give rugby a go, and the rest as they say is history.

I don't remember exactly but I think it was in the mid-70's when I was between -25 ans -27.

watching Lomu, van der westhuyzen, rob andrew, guscott, will carling, rory underwood, ieuan evans, gregor townsend, gareth edwards- can't even remeber some of them that well, just remember hearing their names!

if anyone has any specific memories involving any of them i'd be pleased to know!

thanks

I started watching in 99, when Scotland won the 5 nations. I have watched many international games since but its only really been this year that i have really got into rugby, having been to see South Africa, Ireland, Scotland etc..

I remember celebrating the 1995 WC win when I was 5 and didn't really know what I was celebrating lol. I only really started watching rugby in 1997 when I won some cash for predicting the closes score of a Natal Sharks match in 1997 with my bro and dad. Only in 1998 though, I started watching the Boks when we won the Tri nation and came to admire the great Henry Honiball and Andre Joubert of the Sharks

2002 when england beat all the southern hemisphere sides in the test matches
[/b]
ah theres nothing like hopping on the bandwagon is there?

shame its impossible to do that with irish rugby

cos we're ****

Since 95. I wait every year the crunch of 6 Nations' France-Angleterre as a climax of the year.

Strated watching Rugby League around 1988 when Granada used to show a live match on Saturday afternoons. I couldn't believe the intensity of the game compared to football. The first game I attended was a Wigan v Stains semi final at Old Trafford and that was it... hooked for life.
I tried watching the shamateur code but back then but it was such a poor spectacle that I found it unwatchable. With the advent of 'open' professionalism and the return of players like Jifffy, Gibbs, Quinell, Tait, Inga, etc, etc I took more of an interest in Rugby Union and it was the lions tour to South Africa that converted me into a fan.
I now watch and love both codes of rugby and really enjoy the differences between them. League is still my first love though.

only since the 2003-2004 Top 14 season when I seen Biarritz play. [/b]

Biarritz made you get into the sport :blink:

maybe you should see a psychiatrist ;)

I started watching in 1999 when Scotland won the 5 nations, until the last couple of years i only really watched the 6 nations and the world cup. But now im a fully fledged rugby fan.

I've been watching rugby since I was five years old, mostly due to the fact that I started playing rugby at the age of four / five

<div class='quotemain'>
only since the 2003-2004 Top 14 season when I seen Biarritz play. [/b]

Biarritz made you get into the sport :blink:

maybe you should see a psychiatrist ;)
[/b][/quote]

:lol:

being the only union fan in my family, it took me untill 2000 to find the joys of rugby. i can remember my 1st match i watched. wellington vs taranaki. inspiriational stuff from ***o and f***ing awesome game. and i was like, its taken me this long to switch codes?!?!! then being 10 i didnt really support a team and supported wellington for a while, but then came to my senses around 2003 when i watched auckland npc carve up. with quite possibly the best try ive seen. the one where they were down by 1 or 2 pts and they were right on the line and they passed the ball to atinga i think it was and the whole team goes DROP KICK!!! DROP KICK!!! and he fakes a drop kick, side steps and dives at the line, scores a try and knocks himself out on the posts in the process.

but was into league since i can remember. my dad is a league fan, 1st game i went to was warriors vs roosters which we won :cheers:

Sorry just noticed that i have basically repeated myself in both posts :lol:

I was playing rugby at school in 1995. watched a little of the world cup but missed most of the big matches. Then got tickets to see Wales play the All Blacks at Wembly. Went to support Wales. Came out supporting New Zealand after one too many chorus of "if you're English and you know it slit your wrists".

The next year i watched highlights of the HEC on telly, and persuaded my folks to get tickets to the HEC final in cardiff. Loved the atmosphere amongst the tigers fans. We got mullered but i had a great time and 2 years later we got a family season ticket and been following Tigers since.

I remember following Wilson Whineray's All Black side which toured the UK in 1963-64. The first international I can recall seeing was the 1967 game at Twickenham between England and the All Blacks and I started playing the following year, aged 12.

Sadly, although I had (still have) a deep passion for the game, I never had much talent.

Being born into a rugby loving south african home I was put infront of the televised rugby games since birth.

I have vague early memories of currie cup matches when I was about 4 or 5.

My first real solid memory was when I was about six years old my uncle took my cousin and me to Newlands to watch a WP vs. EP game where WP obliterated the poor men from the east by 60 to 3 or something.

Latest posts