• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Sidhe's Rugby Challenge

We have Northern Hemisphere licences. More soon

Very nice Milla. I understand this probably falls into the 'more soon' category, but by northern hemisphere are you also refferring to International? Thanks.

Screenshots look great, and that article sounds really promising! I just have a few questions, sorry if it has been asked before BUT:

Will the game support modding?
If you say you have licenses for the Super 15, does that include South African teams? I also heard someone mention the tri-nations, does that include SA?

I know you support online play, but will you support LAN as well?

Thanks in advance! Looks amazing, can't wait.

Thanks for the feedback Milla.

But what I actually wanted to know was , can you for instance change Sony Bill Williams speed? .... You guys done a pretty good job making the players look incredible life like ....

As always

Sniff Sniff :( have this
bride_wim_hanky1_lg.jpg

Will there be a "Movember" mode where in November certain players suddenly spout terrible top lip warmers?

I'm sorry but I can't buy a game that doesn't allow me to change Ranger and TPN hairstyles!!!!

I want to switch from "afro70s" to "jamaican90" during the S15 season!

There's only one player you can recognize from 40m away! :D

PB200030.JPG

No, being serious: by these previews, I prefer this game... I can't wait to try it!!

Screenshots look great, and that article sounds really promising! I just have a few questions, sorry if it has been asked before BUT:

Will the game support modding?
If you say you have licenses for the Super 15, does that include South African teams? I also heard someone mention the tri-nations, does that include SA?

I know you support online play, but will you support LAN as well?

Thanks in advance! Looks amazing, can't wait.

What good would the Tri Nations and Super 15 be without the SA teams???

It almost seems that Rugby Challenge is going to take the upper hand on this. Just look at the screenshots. And Detail
Last week NZGamer.com popped down to Sidhe Interactive to check out All Blacks Rugby Challenge. It's obviously an appropriate ***le for New Zealand sport this year, but it’s also an attempt to make an engaging Rugby ***le â€" something that's proved problematic for developers over the years. Thankfully, as with the game’s namesakes, things are looking positive heading into final prep.

After a couple of impressive stills of ITM Cup stadiums for Canterbury and Taranaki (photographers were sent round all the grounds, and unfinished stadiums â€" such as Eden Park â€" were completed off their plans) we got our first look at the menu.

The intro sequence features Mils Muliaina, Dan Carter and Ritchie McCaw in the heat of action setting up a try. However, this sequence can change as the game will detect which country you're based in and select your national team by default. This is similar to the EA Sports Favourite team option that featured in FIFA, NBA and Madden, but the presentation is far better than we've seen in any sports game from Sidhe.

The developers have really aimed for a more emotional and engaging experience; there are lens flares, slow mo captures and snap zooms galore. If you've seen the night-time Piri Weepu haka shot, you'll see what I'm talking about. The camera angles are more dramatic.

Sidhe has also managed to break new ground by individuating crowd members. The change from a classic "cardboard" crowd has made big waves in the international digital world. There are even security guards, journalists, teammates and other sideline essentials. It's a wonderful small touch that looks very impressive.

3948816278.jpg

Apart from one and two-player options, you'll also be able to play a single season and attempt a legacy in Franchise Mode. The ITM, Qantas and Super 15 franchises will be available, and there is also word of multiple European teams being involved. For those curious, the squads are current as of two weeks ago. As you’d expect, a big focus has been placed on online play to ensure any lag is minimised, so here’s hoping you and three mates can go compete without any jitters.

A handy tutorial helps get you up to scratch and, with an eye to the RWC bringing in new fans, a lot of work has been put into making this both easy and accessible. Various skills, such as running between cones, practicing kicks, and many other NZ primary school classics will have you doing behind-the-back passes and side-stepping opponents in no time.

All Blacks Rugby Challenge also features Rugby Money, a rewards system most gamers will be familiar with (think GT or Burnout). These rewards come from completing various activities, whether running through the tutorials or playing online, and can be spent in the Rugby Store. This is not an online function, but rather an in-game unlockable system similar to Sidhe's Rugby League games.

5552774691.jpg

After being walked through a game featuring the All Blacks (game rating 95, the highest in-game) vs. the Wallabies (game rating 91, deal with it), we got our own chance for glory.

The pre-game Load Screen allow players to practice their passing skills in both one and two-player modes in a generic New York-esque background, although apparently it was originally Wellington's Newtown Park.

Of course, the All Blacks do the Haka. Only Ka Mate will feature, and in this case is led by Hosea Gear. Apparently the game will always pick the most relevant player to lead the Haka. Opposition teams respectfully stand and take it, which sadly means no Manu Samoa or other countries’ traditional challenges.

2961193536.jpg

Controls are simple and should be familiar to most sports game fans. An interesting thing to note is that bound characters in a ruck cannot be unbound, to allow for a faster game. When kicking, the wind is shown dimensionally on the field using VVVV symbols rather than a HUD system. Side-stepping and fending require the use of the right analog stick, and passing after a tackle will result in an offload, depending on your stats.

When a player starts to pulse, they gain momentum and will have heightened attributes (break tackles etc). Those attributes include Mental Agility, which affects both a player’s awareness (especially with offloads) and also relates to their Discipline stat. Incidentally, Ma'a Nonu gets 58 MA. If you have a problem with that, there's an incredibly detailed player editor and character creation menu, which will allow for all those personalised rugby memories you've been craving.

Commentary comes from Grant Nisbett and Justin Marshall, with Nisbett doing the heavy lifting and Marshall firing in asides. Fans of Jonah Lomu Rugby will be glad to hear Sidhe are fans of the game, so you may hear a couple of classics ("Dig's like a demented mole!") popping up. And that's not the only involvement the big man has lent to the game.

7424343622.jpg

Sidhe Interactive has been liaising with the NZRFU for their Weta Digital motion capture with Jonah Lomu and various All Blacks, although we haven’t yet been told which ones.

All in all, this is an impressive display, and something rugby fans should be excited about. Can it finally give us a rugby game to be proud of? We’ll find out in the coming months.

All Blacks Rugby Challenge will be released on Xbox 360, PS3, PC, and PS Vita.

Looks great!
Even if the No.8 has put his arm through the locks hip in the 5th one :p

I literary cant wait can i get an early copy of the game now lol

Latest posts