• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Saracens and Harlequins reputation

AlanN

Academy Player
Country Flag
England
Club or Nation
England
Is the criticism of these teams justified? I have read that Harlequins fans are all posh and rich and Saracens are a bit rough. As a new fan who doesn't have a team as such, I would be interested in your opinions.

I don't know what you mean by rough. But we're a nice bunch of people come pay us a visit and you'll see for yourself :) As for the Harlequins its completely true... Just kidding it's not at all, it's just a stereotype there are some city folk there who like talking about how many yachts they own (genuine convo I overheard at The Stoop) but I'm sure if you go to any club you'll find someone similar they're just normal rugby fans. Anywhere you go the majority of fans will be nice and pleasant and if you're very very unlucky you'll meet someone who isn't so nice but no matter where you go that will be the case.

I don't know what you mean by rough. But we're a nice bunch of people come pay us a visit and you'll see for yourself :) As for the Harlequins its completely true... Just kidding it's not at all, it's just a stereotype there are some city folk there who like talking about how many yachts they own (genuine convo I overheard at The Stoop) but I'm sure if you go to any club you'll find someone similar they're just normal rugby fans. Anywhere you go the majority of fans will be nice and pleasant and if you're very very unlucky you'll meet someone who isn't so nice but no matter where you go that will be the case.

Thanks for that. They were described in a newspaper article as the Millwall of Rugby. Both teams I mentioned are my nearest premiership clubs and I was trying to get a feel of what they are like. I will be watching as many games as possible.

Just stereotypes

Like Glous are all ****kickers, Bath are all Posh toffs and Leicester fans are all amazing.

(Last one is true though)

I have read that Harlequins fans are all posh and rich and Saracens are a bit rough. As a new fan who doesn't have a team as such, I would be interested in your opinions.

The Fulham & Millwall of rugby?! I went to a Saracens game on a trip to London a few years back - I had a great time, but maybe I am a bit rough?

I think we are described as the Millwall of rugby because no one likes us. Just look at the most hated Aviva team thread in the prem section of this site, we are by far the winner (unfortunately) but it's predominantly down to the way the club presents it's self and goes about it's business rather than the fans (apart from one rude individual). I recommend you come to the next home game on the 14th against Toulouse should be a cracker and I guarantee you'll enjoy yourself.

I think it's area of London, SW London has fairly nice bits Twickenham, Richmond, Surbiton et. al are pretty affluent places to live. Whereas Wembley, Edgware, Harrow, Watford are not.

Bath because it's bloody expensive place to live gets the rich toffs for pretty much the same reason, just a shame pretty much all of Somerset supports them (if your into rugby) however so it's not really true.