• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

"Ten simple and effective law changes that should be made to rugby refereeing"

https://edition.cnn.com/2022/04/27/sport/sportable-rugby-ball-technology-forward-pass-spc-intl/index.html

"If you get into the maths of what a forward pass is, it's actually about relative velocities. If the ball moves towards the opposition try line faster than you do as the passer, that's a forward pass."

Probably the simplest explanation I've come across - but also highlights how impossible it is to judge without ball tracker tech.

In my view what's exacerbated the debate - and frustration - amongst fans is the fact TMOs are micro analyzing marginal passes using flawed tools i.e. less than ideal camera angles.

Until more accurate tools like ball tracking are available, IMO we simplify things by axing TMO review and reverting back to the 3 officials on the pitch making the call.

If they get the odd one wrong, so be it. Its an imperfect game played by imperfect humans. Works for the other code fine and while they still get the odd howler, the noise dies down pretty quickly.

I don't think marginally forward passes are a blight on the game, in fact if we want more running rugby we should probably relax policing this area... I think if it's not clear and obviously forward requiring multiple camera angles that are often contradictory in their nature, then it's not forward.

I wouldn't change penalties around scrums but what I would do is absolutely add a rugby league style time off and on for the match clock. Many sides want to waste time when it's advantageous for them to do so, such as defending a lead or managing a card period or wish to disrupt an opponent or whatever, if you reduce the benefits of doing this sides should hopefully do it less. This also results in more ball in play time requiring higher fitness levels and altered conditioning for it. In general I'd stop the clock as consistently and often as possible to promote actual ball in play time.

I don't think marginally forward passes are a blight on the game, in fact if we want more running rugby we should probably relax policing this area... I think if it's not clear and obviously forward requiring multiple camera angles that are often contradictory in their nature, then it's not forward.

I wouldn't change penalties around scrums but what I would do is absolutely add a rugby league style time off and on for the match clock. Many sides want to waste time when it's advantageous for them to do so, such as defending a lead or managing a card period or wish to disrupt an opponent or whatever, if you reduce the benefits of doing this sides should hopefully do it less. This also results in more ball in play time requiring higher fitness levels and altered conditioning for it. In general I'd stop the clock as consistently and often as possible to promote actual ball in play time.
Not sure on stopping the clock at every opportunity. Only on the basis of how long would a game last. I'm sure someone has worked out average about of stoppages vs time the stoppages took. You could then roughly work out the estimated game time.

Pity us poor England fans watching Borthball for 120mins in a cold wet Twickenham.

Sort of an issue with having the clock at the elite level controlled by multiple parties. In the high amateur game you can always do a slick grab of the wrist after the second reset as you wait for the scrum to get back together.

On scrums, I definitely would love to see less penalties. I've said it so often that if there is a stable scrum for say 3/5 seconds then maximum that can be awarded is a free kick. For teams that collapse immediately then yes penalties.

One issue seems to be players who bore in. That area is refereed very inconsistently.