• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Samoa tournament strategy

Siva Tau

Academy Player
Country Flag
Samoa
Club or Nation
Samoa
How will Tafua & Co approach selections ? There aint no second chance to get it right. In light of the success against the Wallabies I would be inclined for the 2nd xv to play Namibia and save the 1st xv for game 2 against Wales and also SA and Fiji. The result against Wales will dictate if any variation to starting lineups for remaining games.

I think Fiji & Wales are our danger games. My Team for Namibia would be :

L Mulipola
T Paulo
C Johnston
F Levi - C
D Leo
O Treviranus
M Salavea
G Stowers/T Tuifua - half game each
J Polu
T Lavea
S Tagicakibau
E Fuimaono-Sapolu
J Leota
D Lemi
J So'oialo

Res:
M Schwalger
A Perenise
J Tekori
M Fa'asavalu
K Fotualii
P Williams
S Mapasua

I really hope you guys do well in this WC. Not because I'm a Bok fan and that I would like you to beat Wales etc. but because for the sole reason that a strong Samoa in world rugby is a joy to watch! Love the physicality!!! :D

I have to say Samoa is also one of my favorite 2nd (Bokke being 1st of course) teams and a joy to watch when on song. Evn if we're at the receiving end LOL; Derrick Hougaard getting folded by Lima springs to mind!

I don't know about resting your players in the 1st match though.. sure you should still beat Namibia but why take the chance and why not use that game to build confidence/momentum and give your combinations that 1 more game (and the one with the least pressure as well) to gel and then go balls out for the other 3 and really push for a play-off place. I mean, it's only 4 games in the pool stages and you guys are the underdogs to go through (when looking at rankings I mean with SA and Wales higher).

I think the recent game against the Wallabies showed a similar strategy to be successful. We dont have the depth so being smart where we can may help us. That said we cant afford to disrespect anytime.

Strategy for Samoa:1st Half.Smash everyone not holding a whistle..Score some points.Halftime.2nd Half.Smash everyone not holding a whistle.Score some points.Smash everyone not holding a whistle.

I can't wait until the world cup starts for Samoa (gutted they don't have a match on the first weekend)

I want them to succeed almost as much as England :p

So many great players in the squad

Samoan strategy, smash em bro. That'll get them to atleast 2nd in their pool as long as they don't drop the Fiji game.

Samoa has just told Wales their strategy.:p Now we know what to do...

To be perfectly honest, I'm more concerned with Wales statergy. Do they rest key players against SA or do they go full strength and risk a injuries against the massive boks?

To be perfectly honest, I'm more concerned with Wales statergy. Do they rest key players against SA or do they go full strength and risk a injuries against the massive boks?

I think we'll go full strength for both as we have a good chance of beating South Africa.

Agree with Me 1, we capable of beating SA and naming a weakened side against them would destroy any self belief the squad has. Almost like they'd be conceding defeat before a ball even gets kicked.
For me the result against Samoa will definitely depend on how we do vs SA: If we beat them, confidence will be sky high and we're a damn good team when the players have some self-confidence after a string of good results, so imo we'll beat Samoa in that case. If we get slaughtered by the Boks, we're gonna struggle against Samoa and probably lose. If we lose to SA, but but in a very good performance, then the Wales vs Samoa game will be hard to call, Samoans have plenty of confidence, Wales will have some, but nowhere near what they would have after beating one of the Tri Nations.

It'll be a tight scoreline either way, could be one of the games of the World Cup, just hope we don't do a '99 and hand Samoa 3 tries on a plate :rolleyes:

For Samoa they will want to do the job against Namibia first before worrying about the Welsh. Samoa have been together for almost 6 weeks now and this is the best world cup preparation they've ever had. With injuries to a couple of key players up front for the Welsh, this should even it up a bit for Samoa. The difference I see in this Samoan squad from previous world cups is that they will hold there own in the scrums and in the set pieces. The pick and go has been a strong weapon for Samoa over the last two seasons. On top of that we can expect more big hits and plenty of flair if the game were to open up.

Key Players for Samoa; Mahonri Schwalger has grown in to the captains role and will lead by example. Kahn Fotuali'i will be to Samoa's chances of progressing through to the next round. Underrated and many kiwis agree that he should of been an All Black. Lucky for Samoa!!

Strategy;

vs Namibia - Close to full strength line up to build some momentum leading in to the Welsh games. Getting rid of some rust and hopefully put Namibia to the sword.

vs Wales - Full strength line up. Pick and go getting over the advantage line. Will try and punch it up through the middle committing players to the ruck creating space out wide for the backs. Big hits on defense to try and rattle the Welsh.

vs Fiji - Forward orientated game. Will try and dominate the rucks and malls playing it close in the forwards. If the opportunity is there they will spread it out wide. Will avoid getting to expansive as that will suit the Fijians style of play.

vs South Africa -This no doubt could be the most physical game of the tournament. Bodies will be on the line and Samoa will have everything to play for. If there is one team in this tournament that can bully the South Africans then Samoa could well be that team. Discipline will be a key factor for Samoa and if they get enough ball out wide then they could cause an upset.

My tournament strategy plan for Samoa

Vs Namibia - They should rest some of the key forwards but have a full strength backline to build on their combinations and cohesion.

Vs Wales & Fiji - FULL STRENGTH! We have to hit them with everything we've got. Winning these two games are crucial if we are to proceed to the next round.

Vs South Africa - I'm hoping they will have qualified by then so maybe rest a few key players (forwards and backs) to save for the elimination rounds. If we haven't, which I hope isn't the case, then we play full strength with nothing to lose.

If we make it out of the pool stages, then we play at full strength with whoever is still healthy and ready to play.

Last edited:
After defeating SA by 5pts I think the Welsh will beat the Samoans by at least 10 pts and Fiji by more and will smash the Nambians therefore topping the pool. If Gethin and the rest can get match fit theres no reason why we cant reach the semi's.
In the warm up games we beat 2nd and 3rd place teams from the last world cup, and our last 3 games against SA we have just lost, but the total of the deficit over the three games is only 12 points. tHe squad is now much fitter and mentally stronger and know they can compete for 80mins

After defeating SA by 5pts I think the Welsh will beat the Samoans by at least 10 pts and Fiji by more and will smash the Nambians therefore topping the pool. If Gethin and the rest can get match fit theres no reason why we cant reach the semi's.
In the warm up games we beat 2nd and 3rd place teams from the last world cup, and our last 3 games against SA we have just lost, but the total of the deficit over the three games is only 12 points. tHe squad is now much fitter and mentally stronger and know they can compete for 80mins

Yeah we beat the 2nd and 3rd placed team for the 07 world cup, but they're currently ranked 5th and 9th in the world, so no reason to get overconfident. They were very good team performances and we were far more clinical than we have been in recent years, but we're gonna need to do the same and more to beat the Boks. Never underestimate them, they know how to grind out wins better than any team around.
Also never underestimate the Pacific Islanders either! Personally I don't think the results in '91, '99 and '07 have any bearing on the matches vs Samoa and Fiji, this is a far better Welsh team than in any of those competitions, however more recent results worry me. In '09 we let the Samoans run us close 16 - 13 simply because we werent clinical enough and missed a shed load of chances to score tries, and again last November we were very poor vs Fiji and we drew 16 - 16. We had weakened teams in both and they led to likes of Biggar, Deiniol Jones and Ian Gough being dropped for Wales (quite rightly!) but still it's a bit worrying!
Like I said in my last post, a hell of a lot depends on that South African game!

Wales will beat SA, lose to Fiji
Fiji will beat Wales, lose to SA
SA will beat Fiji , lose to Wales
SA, Samoa, Fiji and Wales to beat Namibia

SA, Wales, Fiji: 3 wins each , pool to be decided on bonus point, SA out as 37 penalties from Morne Steyn in three games does not make any offensive BP.
Samoa : 1 win
Namibia : no win

Latest posts