• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

S this the worst 6N ever.......

It's **** stirring of the highest order and not at all any form of banter. A truly pathetic attempt to turn Laidlaw's post WC QF interview into a generalisation that Scots like blame the ref. Interestingly he never specifically mentioned the referee or Joubert in that interview.

Right and the Italians are going to come on here and tell me they didn't actually have a nap I suppose? It's called a joke and yes, the last 3 games Scotland have lost a sizeable chunk of the fans have blamed largely on the referee. I can change it to "pull well but then trip over" if your feelings are too hurt.

I have a feeling it will pick up. France, England, Scotland and Italy all look to be playing more exciting rugby. The weather is getting better too. I dunno why, but I feel like Round 3 is gonna be a really good one.

Wales are in do-or-die mode, France are en route to a slam with an energetic bold team. Ireland NEED to at least put in a decent performance against England if we're to leave with any modicum of respect. Scotland and Italy is always a close contest, but I feel that both teams have improved a lot individually, and that this fixture might also be a bit more skillful and exciting whilst being as close as always (after Italy's last 2 matches I actually really look forward to seeing them play!)

Or maybe it's just hopeful optimism. I don't know. I miss the World Cup :(

That is such a bizarre way to describe France's tournament so far. I'd have gone with lucky to avoid 2 losses and looking to beat Scotland with some more turgid rugby.

I'm not talking about the crouch, bind, set bit (although some refs do that really slowly which doesn't help, they should all have a similar gap between bind and set). What I mean is the scrum collapses, people walk around a bit, have a chat, drink and THEN get back into position for the next scrum. It should be front rows are up and immediately getting locked together again for the next scrum. Should not take more than 20 seconds or so. Just generally the speed forwards get up from scrums is terrible, a 9 could take a quick tap and forwards will still be on the floor after the first breakdown.

I see what you mean. Doesn't just apply to scrums does it, there's all sorts of fannying around in your average international match. I really think they should introduce free kicks for time-wasting, if players aren't jogging to the set piece.

Weirdly, the only time-wasting which people seem to get upset about en masse is the TMO - the only break in play which could be said to be filling a useful purpose.

I also feel the level has been rather poor. Granted. it's a time of transition and the disappointing WC has shown how big the difference between the hemispheres really is and as such makes you notice the lack of quality more, but still. I really don't see why you need to play it that early in the year as well and I'm very much in favour of bonus points, a relegation system and in general fewer matches in the northern hemisphere. It would help if England and France (especially France) managed to sort out their problems.

That is such a bizarre way to describe France's tournament so far. I'd have gone with lucky to avoid 2 losses and looking to beat Scotland with some more turgid rugby.

Well like I said previously, it wasn't meant to be taken to seriously. Any good play I personally saw from France was no more than 20 minutes in the Ireland match, and even then... It's a reflection on the often poor quality of the 6N, clutching at straws, etc. Lucky is the only word to truthfully describe their position in the table thus far. They do seem more "up for it" though, much more, than PSA team. Signs of improvements are there. Even though I have no problems with France I really don't want them to win based on those 2 wins alone... or am I just being bitter? Unless it comes down to a highly unlikely situation where England and France lose two matches and Wales one, Ireland winning the rest of theirs... a big mess. Then it won't matter who won what how.

Well no actually, in an ideal situation every match would be very closely contested and every participant team all within margins of winning the slam/contest. I'm still enjoying the 6N despite everything, it's fun at the end of the day even if the match wasn't superb quality and it's not like every match is woeful. Err... Wales v Scotland had it's moments. First half of Italy vs England was exciting because Italy threw down the gauntlet. Ehh... any others!?

Well, there's always the RC to look forward to.

I think the idea that France are playing more entertaining/instinctive rugby comes from them offloading all the time and trying to attack in the wide channels. They are, but that doesn't automatically mean better rugby if they don't do it well. At the end of the day, their one really good passage of play came from monstering the oppo's scrum

It might seem a very simplistic response, but make the 2017 6 Nations 6 points for a try and 3 for a conversion, keeping a penalty at 3. You get an extra 2 points reward Everytime the try line is crossed. There are lucid arguments against it but in terms of risk and reward and it would certainly favour teams who adopt a more attack minded policy.

It would not hurt the 6 nations to trial it, after all, we have seen some of the most ridiculous 'try outs' where the powers that be have tried to influence scrummaging. Adam Jones single-handedly destroyed England in Cardiff in the 30-3 victory, was immense for the Lions and a 3 times Grand Slam winner who woke up one morning to find himself redundant.

In a Lions year it wouldn't hurt to try a bit of attacking rugby.

It might seem a very simplistic response, but make the 2017 6 Nations 6 points for a try and 3 for a conversion, keeping a penalty at 3. You get an extra 2 points reward Everytime the try line is crossed. There are lucid arguments against it but in terms of risk and reward and it would certainly favour teams who adopt a more attack minded policy.

It would not hurt the 6 nations to trial it, after all, we have seen some of the most ridiculous 'try outs' where the powers that be have tried to influence scrummaging. Adam Jones single-handedly destroyed England in Cardiff in the 30-3 victory, was immense for the Lions and a 3 times Grand Slam winner who woke up one morning to find himself redundant.

In a Lions year it wouldn't hurt to try a bit of attacking rugby.

Not taking away anything from AJ but there is no way in hell Walsh refereed the scrum in the game fairly. He had a go at the English front row before anyone had even set up for the first scrum! Talk about starting off with a bias. I also remember AJ losing his bind and falling to the floor right in front of Walsh whilst the English loosehead stil had his bind and he penalised England. Jenkins drove in at a stupid angle loads of times and never got penalised. Also in that era Wales had by far the largest number of collapsed scrums of any nation. When teams played Wales, the scrums collapsed a lot more frequently. This all suggests the Welsh had perfected the art of collapsing scrums and getting away with it, they didn't drive the opposition back a huge amount.

Scotland - Let everyone know how much better you are going to pull, pull ok then blame the ref.

Not taking away anything from AJ but there is no way in hell Walsh refereed the scrum in the game fairly. He had a go at the English front row before anyone had even set up for the first scrum! Talk about starting off with a bias. I also remember AJ losing his bind and falling to the floor right in front of Walsh whilst the English loosehead stil had his bind and he penalised England. Jenkins drove in at a stupid angle loads of times and never got penalised. Also in that era Wales had by far the largest number of collapsed scrums of any nation. When teams played Wales, the scrums collapsed a lot more frequently. This all suggests the Welsh had perfected the art of collapsing scrums and getting away with it, they didn't drive the opposition back a huge amount.

;)

Lets not forget Walsh having a go at Youngs at not setting up at the mark to the extent as soon as he was making it in the ground Youngs was already crouched with his head over it. Then Walsh had a go at Youngs for taking the ****. Not saying we were saints or we deserved a win (because we weren't and we didn't) but Walsh clearly went into that game with a certain mindset and it didn't matter a single bit what England actually did.

There's a reason why Crouch, Touch, Pause, Engage, Collapse was radically changed and Walsh's clear ineptitude in that match showed refs were just guessing and going by mere reputation alone. Something had to be done times to lost to scrums resets was getting ridiculous and it all really came to ahead that Six Nations.

Whilst there are still issues scrum wise it still feels like they are a lot better than they are currently.

EDIT: Sorry scrums hit a nerve anyone who think scrums were fine back then has to be kidding themselves. In addition that game is one of the worst I've ever seen from biased refereeing from England perspective that I can remember (and that includes the second half of 2003 RWC Final). Still don't think we would of won that match but the scoreline was helped by Walsh.

Luckily I think Walsh had a damn good look at himself after that and he seamed a perfectly competent referee after that which he wasn't before. I always wonder what was said behind closed doors after that much in terms of referee committee's.

Last edited:
2013 was pretty dire.

Eh was pretty good I though. First round was lauded as "the best opening 6 Nations round ever" and the last was pretty damn entertaining too(Italy beating Ireland, massive Wales vs England ***le decider, and an entertaining final France vs Scotland game.)

Rounds inbetween had a fair few hit and miss games, but I enjoyed anyway.

This 6 Nations hasn't been great. Wales vs Scotland probably has been the pick of the lot and even that was error strewn. Hoping it picks up in the last round, but will have to wait and see.

I do enjoy every second. Probably, because I do not get to see too much good Rugby over here.

I don't blame Walsh for us losing, we weren't good enough. I blame Walsh for repeatedly giving penalties against England for infringements he was letting Wales get away with. Not a case of 1 decision that wasn't favourable, a whole heap of them. This is a guy who was also banned from refereeing because of how he acted to a member of the England coaching staff and let it be very publically known he disliked England. Our win % also dropped from 65%+ average to 40% for games he refereed. Quite different circumstances, this is a guy who genuinely had an axe to grind and let it out against England twice, the first time getting him banned and the second time turning a loss into a rout.

I don't blame Walsh for us losing, we weren't good enough. I blame Walsh for repeatedly giving penalties against England for infringements he was letting Wales get away with. Not a case of 1 decision that wasn't favourable, a whole heap of them. This is a guy who was also banned from refereeing because of how he acted to a member of the England coaching staff and let it be very publically known he disliked England. Our win % also dropped from 65%+ average to 40% for games he refereed. Quite different circumstances, this is a guy who genuinely had an axe to grind and let it out against England twice, the first time getting him banned and the second time turning a loss into a rout.

"Scotland - Let everyone know how much better you are going to pull, pull ok then blame the ref."

Are you American by any chance? I only ask because, while you appear to like talking ballcocks and making out it's a joke (clearly you have a different definition of 'joke' from me), you appear to have absolutely no sense of irony.

"Scotland - Let everyone know how much better you are going to pull, pull ok then blame the ref."

Are you American by any chance? I only ask because, while you appear to like talking ballcocks and making out it's a joke (clearly you have a different definition of 'joke' from me), you appear to have absolutely no sense of irony.

No I'm English and you appear to be unable to distinguish between complaining about a specific referee who spent an entire game being biased and has a long history of hating one side with complaining about 3 games all being lost by the referee one after the other based on single decisions in each game.

YoungScud can't see a joke whenever Scoland is involved and immediately runs his mouth it's pretty predictable.

If it helps I genuinely lol'd at the post.

No I'm English and you appear to be unable to distinguish between complaining about a specific referee who spent an entire game being biased and has a long history of hating one side with complaining about 3 games all being lost by the referee one after the other based on single decisions in each game.

Which three games?

- - - Updated - - -

YoungScud can't see a joke whenever Scoland is involved and immediately runs his mouth it's pretty predictable.

If it helps I genuinely lol'd at the post.

Yes. I imagine you did.

So the question was is this the worst 6n ever. Well no it isn't, it's just a bit of come down after the world cup.