• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

[RWC2023] South Africa vs Ireland (23/09/2023)

Seriously?
just when i thought i was out they pull me back in.

As an onlooker with an irish flag on my profile defending another irish poster who is defending the Irish team, he is not the one who appears to be taking this too personally.

fixed that for you.
Small recap: I made a statement, he claimed it was false. I presented the only evidence i could think of, admitting it was imperfect but still the best we had, he claimed my statement had already been disproven. When, where, by whom, how? God knows. I generally dont let things like that go but since i have no animosity towards him, quite the contrary, i thought i'd state my thoughts and let it go. He had skin in the game, i did not.
Not what i generally do when i take things personally.

And since we're at it, taking things too personally, being passionate, and enjoying an argument are not quite the same. I mean, show me the evidence that proves me wrong and you'll see how that perceived personalism vanishes in an instant. Allow me to have a look at it and see if any challenge is deserved, course.
I've got quite a few thousand posts on this board, been here longer than 99% of the posters, and not once have I been called anything remotely close to being anti-Irish or something along those lines. If anything, quite the contrary.
This is a first for me.

I am really quite surprised that some here find it an offense when someone says he believes that South Africa won most of the collisions.
And just to be crystal clear, winning most of the collisions doesnt mean South Africa won all and Ireland none. No.

More than happy to continue but i don't want to hijack the thread. PM.

Seriously?
just when i thought i was out they pull me back in.

fixed that for you.
Small recap: I made a statement, he claimed it was false. I presented the only evidence i could think of, admitting it was imperfect but still the best we had, he claimed my statement had already been disproven. When, where, by whom, how? God knows. I generally dont let things like that go but since i have no animosity towards him, quite the contrary, i thought i'd state my thoughts and let it go. He had skin in the game, i did not.
Not what i generally do when i take things personally.

And since we're at it, taking things too personally, being passionate, and enjoying an argument are not quite the same. I mean, show me the evidence that proves me wrong and you'll see how that perceived personalism vanishes in an instant. Allow me to have a look at it and see if any challenge is deserved, course.
I've got quite a few thousand posts on this board, been here longer than 99% of the posters, and not once have I been called anything remotely close to being anti-Irish or something along those lines. If anything, quite the contrary.
This is a first for me.

I am really quite surprised that some here find it an offense when someone says he believes that South Africa won most of the collisions.
And just to be crystal clear, winning most of the collisions doesnt mean South Africa won all and Ireland none. No.

More than happy to continue but i don't want to hijack the thread. PM.
Yeah, you're definitely not taking it too personally.

Ohh, i see... So now replying because i disagree with the argument for which no evidence whatsoever was presented is taking things too personally. Gotcha.
And you jumping in to defend another poster and team, all of which share the same flag, is nothing but a coincidence. Nothing personal there.

Clear.

So lets review the final whistle on this pool match that probably didn't mathematically ensure Ireland reach the QF, arguably doesn't make their route to the final easier and arguably doesn't really make Ireland favourites in any rematch with the Boks:

- walk around the pitch celebration
- Lowe live streaming on the pitch
- post-match singalong with the fans
- Aki's kids running onto the pitch

Hence 'premature celebration'. It was all reminscent of Scotland winning the first match at the 6N and acting like there weren't another four matches to go.

All Ireland learnt here was that they can probably compete for the ***le. A champions response would be to head off the pitch in the standard way, await a dressing down for being out performed for large parts of the second half and mentally shift to preparing for the next match.
To be fair Lowe not sure on live streaming but he always acting the fool after games sonmay be regular occurence.
Walk around pitch is a tradition Ireland and provinces do the whole time regardless of result to thank fans and keeps connection. In Munster I can speak for it personally as it is a big thing and part of culture. It occurs after every game regardless of result.
Postmatch sing song is also usual for all games. Did you see Tonga game?? Atmosphere I'd say was just as mad.
And lastly Sextons son was going around too, it normal in games and actually is Farrell culture of being family orientated as opposed to Schmidt regime.
Ireland create party atmosphere every tournament they go in any sport. This is no different.

Also South Africa stayed out doing lap of pitch too and had a laugh with some Irish counterparts

Seen this doing the rounds on social media,
In the spirit of the benefit of the doubt I think it's accidental (though it does kinda look like a press down after the initial step) but a lot of people are very angry - citing incoming?

In the spirit of the benefit of the doubt I think it's accidental (though it does kinda look like a press down after the initial step) but a lot of people are very angry - citing incoming?

I think it's one of those where you're going to see what you want to see. If you think it's deliberate, it's easy to see him taking a look down, standing on his hand and then lingering there. On the other hand, the opposite argument where he accidentally steps in the wrong place and then relatively quickly (if not immediately) moves it, in the middle on a high intensity rugby game stuff like that is going to happen.

No idea which version is true and I suspect Nche is probably the only one who really knows. Not really sure if it's eligible for citing and will be interested to see if it gets cited, but I won't personally be overly motivated if it isn't picked up.

That's not very sound. Can you name one other national team in the World Cup that can consistently field people from two countries/nation-states?

And besides rugby and cricket, could you kindly list those 'many other sports' where Ireland feld a united-island team. Let's make it semi-serious and avoid sports like curling or korfball. Big, wannabe global sports.
Footie? No.
Olympic Games? No.
Doesn't get more global than those two. Hockey maybe? Still.

We can argue whether they representing Ireland as a whole makes sense or not, but they are basically given an option that every other single country doesn't have access to.
Plenty of people from Northern Ireland do represent the Republic in football and at the Olympics through even through they could represent Northern Ireland (In Football) or GB (At the Olympics)

Yeah all of those things happened after the other two games too. Kids on, lap of honor. Hansen took off his shorts and threw them into the crowd after Romania like. SA also did a lap of the pitch.

Clocks where his hand is and then looks away just before he stamps on it to make it look accidental IMO - aka a "no look stamp".

Plenty of people from Northern Ireland do represent the Republic in football and at the Olympics through even through they could represent Northern Ireland (In Football) or GB (At the Olympics)
Only if they hold ROI's passports/nationality. Still, my point was not who they chose to represent. My point is that it is one of the very few instances where two sovereign nations can join forces and compete in international competitions against other sovereign nations who themselves arent allowed to combine players from others (few hiccups here and there but the laws are relatively clear).
Argentina and Uruguay can't call themselves River Plate combo and tell FIFA they'll be fielding a united team.

Hockey, boxing, basketball, netball, plus many more sports have an all Ireland structure at international level. In fact they probably significantly outnumber the segregated sports.

Yeah but not much you can use in terms of citing.

It's one of those sad realities in rugby that happen at all levels. You need to watch where you put your hands

Yeah true on the citing. Impossible to prove intent but the clip doing the rounds won't do the player's rep any good.

Hockey, boxing, basketball, netball, plus many more sports have an all Ireland structure at international level. In fact they probably significantly outnumber the segregated sports.
Golf too, everyone from the island is entitled to Irish nationality / passport, it's really not an issue. No different to GB being split depending on the sport.

As for the anthem, I like the way it is and would be happy to change in the event of a UI (which to me makes so much sense for literally everyone). GSTQ in Belfast was never going to happen, if NI had their own anthem it would have been played.

Looks deliberate in my opinion but also enough plausible deniability that you couldn't cite him for it.

On intent is there anything natural about where he's place his foot? It looks awkward so is probably deliberate.

Will it get cited? I doubt it, citings for more obvious stuff has been waived off.

Latest posts