• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

[RWC2023] Scotland vs Tonga (24/09/2023)

World Rugby infiltrated by the red cards ruin games brigade. Only going to make that lawsuit payout bigger on a few years

I only just looked at the stats and what Scotland would need to do to get out the group at this point , assuming a BP here today. Difficult difficult lemon difficult.
Well, assuming Boks get a BP win against Tonga I make it Scotland are eliminated even if they beat Ireland 200-0. The Boks losing BP last night effectively concluded Scotland's campaign I think.

Tries and points difference only come into it when there is a 3 way tie I believe.
Source: WalesOnline. :p

World Rugby infiltrated by the red cards ruin games brigade. Only going to make that lawsuit payout bigger on a few years
Probably not popular here but many reds are deserved and down to the defensive player, in this instance it does seem like the attacker has to shoulder some share of responsibility he actively dropped his head height and charged into that.

Yeah but...
Scotland didnt get BP against RSA. Say they get BP today, for all remaining games and get that 200-0 vs Ire. They both (ire and sco) would have 3 wins and 1 loss, and BP for all games except one (Sco would miss the def BP vs RSA and Ire would miss out on the def BP vs Sco).
How would that leave Ire ahead?

So in a game you need a winning BP you start Harris and Steyn. Then when you have the BP and need to defend a lead, you bring on the much more attacking Huw and D'Arcy really early? Minor quibble.

Kinghorn not having a great day by his standards.

I see Scotland doesn't quite understand what 'points difference' means. Not surprise though given how the SNP have run Scottish education into the ground. Someone please tell Scotland they need to score as many points as possible whilst conceding as few as possible if they are going to boost their chances of progression.

Yeah but...
Scotland didnt get BP against RSA. Say they get BP today, for all remaining games and get that 200-0 vs Ire. They both (ire and sco) would have 3 wins and 1 loss, and BP for all games except one (Sco would miss the def BP vs RSA and Ire would miss out on the def BP vs Sco).
How would that leave Ire ahead?
Oh, quite right. Very happy to be corrected since it means the group isn't over (assuming Scotland win this OR Tonga get a win and BP today).

I see Scotland doesn't quite understand what 'points difference' means. Not surprise though given how the SNP have run Scottish education into the ground. Someone please tell Scotland they need to score as many points as possible whilst conceding as few as possible if they are going to boost their chances of progression.
I would be interested to hear of your experience of Scottish education pre SNP and during SNP. :p

VDM looked in touch when he gathered, surprised it wasn't checked

I don't think there's a scenario where points difference will matter.
i think if Scotland get a winning BP against Romania and Ireland, Ireland get a losing BP and South Africa get a winning BP against Tonga. Then it will come down to points difference with all three tied on 15 points. But as I have just proven I can barely read a table, so I could be talking nonsense.

Maybe Townsend has brought on Horne, Huw and D'Arcy on early in the second half to try and maximise the score in the second half as Tonga potentially fatigues. There may well be method in the madness.

i think if Scotland get a winning BP against Romania and Ireland, Ireland get a losing BP and South Africa get a winning BP against Tonga. Then it will come down to points difference with all three tied on 15 points. But as I have just proven I can barely read a table, so I could be talking nonsense.

Maybe Townsend has brought on Horne, Huw and D'Arcy on early in the second half to try and maximise the score in the second half as Tonga potentially fatigues. There may well be method in the madness.
I was under the impression it comes down to head to head? Which is good for Scotland as they would need to beat Ireland anyway. And get 4 points more than Ireland from the game

I was under the impression it comes down to head to head? Which is good for Scotland as they would need to beat Ireland anyway. And get 4 points more than Ireland from the game
Although if all three are tied would it be points difference in those games Serie A style?

Broadly think it's irrelevant anyway, no chance we beat Ireland.

Scotland played one game and they pretty much know they are eliminated after that Ireland victory against South Africa. Unless some type of miracle happens.