• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

[RWC2023] Ireland vs Scotland (07/10/2023)

This is what I've been saying. Ireland could blame having a bad day. Match fixing in sport is nothing new.

They would need a bad day, score 4 tries, AND still let Scotland beat them by 21 or more points. The level of coordination and precision from both teams required to pull that off would make it quite obvious if it were done purposely.
Possible, yes, but extremely unlikely.
And, most importantly, it is not clear to me, not at all, what Ireland would be getting out of it.

If South Africa go out I will streak onto the pitch at FT. It's not going to happen.

Fair, tame wasn't quite right. Equally, I do also think that we put a bit too much stock in past results. Scotland have been somewhere on the scale between garbage and horribly average for most or all of that time so it's unclear to me how relevant that history is. If we're talking history, then we can obviously talk about Irelands world cup record which I doubt I need to.

I mean to an extent this is arguing at the margins because we agree its not likely Scotland win; however, can Scotland beat Ireland by 8 points in a one off game in a world cup where players' careers will be defined by the outcome? Definitely!

N.B - anyone got the "get used to feeling arrogant clip!?" :D
Most history no, but this world cup cycle and the last two games are very relevant I think. It's close enough to be part of a trend.

Look, I could end up getting egg on my face here but I think this is one where Ireland need to respect but not use up too much emotion to win. Alex Ferguson's famous "lads it's Tottenham" speech comes to mind. Scotland are a very Spursy team, we'll handle them by the hour mark I suspect. And I reckon us sticking 50 on them is more likely than them beating us by 8 or more.

Why would Ireland choose to put France and then England in their way just to eliminate a team they've already beaten? Go away out of that. The NZ'ers have every chance of showing Ireland up but it's the easier route for us.

Anyway I'm very much looking forward to South Africa and France destroying each other in the most physical game of rugby ever played.

Whilst they won't throw the match, (table taken from other thread).

There's probably some interesting scenario if its been a high scoring game where Ireland have bunged four trys but still loosing by about 14 points (so 20-34 at a minimum) where they let a try in or a conversion.
However they are more likely to seek the second bonus point for a close game.

I can't envision 5-1 scenario's for margins 0-7, you're likely getting 5-2 there. Like it could happen but its not.

Scotland's only real route is 5-0 or 4-0. 4-0 being the only one I'd be willing to say isn't fanciful.

1696257044813.png

Why would Ireland choose to put France and then England in their way just to eliminate a team they've already beaten? Go away out of that. The NZ'ers have every chance of showing Ireland up but it's the easier route for us.

Anyway I'm very much looking forward to South Africa and France destroying each other in the most physical game of rugby ever played.
Oh no, not England!

(I agree otherwise)

I think the only chance Scotland has is if Ireland has a bad day at the set piece and can't really put any scoreboard pressure on. It would have to be a low scoring affair. I respect myself too much to watch super rugby so I don't know what Barry games look like.

If you care about getting to the final then intentionally losing makes little sense. If your only concern is about becoming World Champions then Ireland should get their try BP (guarantees a QF) then bench their starters, avoid injury and see what Scotland are capable of.

This tiebreaker rule is almost as bad as the early draw. World Rugby are very lucky it isn't something like, 8 point win for Scotland and Boks go home.

I have to say for all my waxing lyrical about Huw, Finn, Darcy and Kinghorn, they have been pretty wasteful in recent months. They create a lot of chances but squander what feels like about 50% of them. Even in good looking performances against France they left a lot of points on the table. At most they will have 4 half chances to score a try in this match and must take them all.

Horne will not be picked despite a glass half full guy like Scott Hastings describing Ben White as "slowing it down" against Tonga (and it wasn't meant as a compliment). In addition to speed at the ruck (reducing time for the opposing defence to get set) Horne's pace and sniping threat gives Finn a half second extra as the opposing defence can't just tee off on him.

So I would only pick any chance of a Scottish win IF Horne is picked to start AND Scotland take every half chance they create to score a try. I would rate the chances of either happening at less than 5%. So I am not remotely optimistic for Scotland unless Ireland come out complacent, which I have no reason to believe will happen.

Scotland is my favorite team in the competition (because USA 15s missed the cut). But I think Ireland will win. Sorry Scotland, you know I love you. You'll always be the land of my ancestors. 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿

I just can't see Scotland delivering an intense accurate 80 minute performance against what is probably the best Ireland team ever. Our line out is too wonky (watch how many steals the likes of Ryan gets on Saturday) and there have been simply too many knock ons and handling errors. Ireland need to **** the bed and Scotland need to produce a freakish 80 minutes for this to be an upset.

The last 6N game was quite interesting. It was a bruising affair and there wasn't much between the sides at half time but then Ireland then scored a two try blitz and kept Scotland at arm's length for the rest of the game - similar to Scotland's loss against SA a few weeks ago. It could quite easily be a carbon copy of that game.

Townsend usually attributes defeats to 'a lack of accuracy' which is his way of saying it wasn't his gameplan that was the problem but the execution. I really hope he's open minded enough to re-think tactics because the loss to SA was as much his fault given how SA blunted Scotland's attack so easily with their rush defence.

I mean I think that would lead us to the actual breaking of World Rugby. SA would break away and establish a new competition and governing body.

Like the great schism in world chess, or the papal schism of the catholic church in the 14th century - pick your reference point.

Would their clubs leave the URC too? I'm voting for that if so!

I just can't see Scotland delivering an intense accurate 80 minute performance against what is probably the best Ireland team ever. Our line out is too wonky (watch how many steals the likes of Ryan gets on Saturday) and there have been simply too many knock ons and handling errors. Ireland need to **** the bed and Scotland need to produce a freakish 80 minutes for this to be an upset.

The last 6N game was quite interesting. It was a bruising affair and there wasn't much between the sides at half time but then Ireland then scored a two try blitz and kept Scotland at arm's length for the rest of the game - similar to Scotland's loss against SA a few weeks ago. It could quite easily be a carbon copy of that game.

Townsend usually attributes defeats to 'a lack of accuracy' which is his way of saying it wasn't his gameplan that was the problem but the execution. I really hope he's open minded enough to re-think tactics because the loss to SA was as much his fault given how SA blunted Scotland's attack so easily with their rush defence.
Yeah, Townsend seemed to partially blame Finn as being sub par and contributing to the loss against the Boks and said he was confident Finn will do better next time. I don't think those two have buried the hatchet but from what I've read both favour Ben White, so they'll be going down on the sinking ship together. :p

I've yet to notice Townsend taking responsibility for a loss. A hugely capable coach but not someone I'd like to have a beer with I don't think.

Yeah the IRFU, the coaches and the player group would definitely all be down to throw a game just to do a favor to Scotland, our old ally who voted against us hosting this world cup.

Correct response from Nienaber to this question would be "you are a ******* idiot, next question"

On the game I'm pretty confident. Scotland will probably turn up and have their best game of the tournament against us, but I think we win come wind rain and shine by a score+

Yeah the IRFU, the coaches and the player group would definitely all be down to throw a game just to do a favor to Scotland, our old ally who voted against us hosting this world cup.

Correct response from Nienaber to this question would be "you are a ******* idiot, next question"

On the game I'm pretty confident. Scotland will probably turn up and have their best game of the tournament against us, but I think we win come wind rain and shine by a score+
Actually just saw that it's POM's 100th cap. They might cut a deal with Scotland to honour his career of always taking the easy way out.

I disagree, the last time Scotland beat Ireland in a full test match by that margin was 2001 (they did in 2007 v an Irish second string in a warm-up). Scotland haven't scored 8 points in the last two meetings between the sides. Ireland have only conceded 20 points once in our current win streak and failed to score 20 only three times in the same period.

Scotland have never beaten a team as good as we are right now. The bookies have Ireland winning the world cup as more likely than Scotland winning this game (not even going through).

It would be Scotland's biggest achievement since winning the 5 nations if they get out of this group.
Is Ireland gonna go full strength for this one?

Latest posts