• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

[RWC2023] England vs Japan (17/09/2023)

So what does Ford have to do this weekend to keep Psychoeyes out of the starting XV?
I'm hoping for answers related to the game against Japan, as opposed to suggestions about what he can do in a CCTV blindspot at the training centre.
I have a horrible idea he might start Smith. Fingers crossed he will go Ford then Smith on at 60.

It's the hope that kills you and you seem a decent sort, so I'm trying to kick it out of you before it's too late
I swear we get a game every so often where Ford gets to play alone and everyone finally wakes up to the fact he should of always been No. 1 10. Then Farrell comes back and everyone thinks ford needs the support for no bloody reason.

Everyone except the last three head coaches. And most journos, but most of them continually demonstrate how little they really know about the game.

when I think of players I want standing in front of players charging down a drop goal faz is at the top of the list. I don't know why you don't want him in the XV.

when I think of players I want standing in front of players charging down a drop goal faz is at the top of the list. I don't know why you don't want him in the XV.
He's just as likely to charge Ford down

Firstly the only team scoring drop goals are us, so we don't need to pick based on that.
Secondly, it's everything else he does that holds England back. Stopping the odd drop goal doesn't outweigh the try scoring opportunities he kicks away.

So what does Ford have to do this weekend to keep Psychoeyes out of the starting XV?
I'm hoping for answers related to the game against Japan, as opposed to suggestions about what he can do in a CCTV blindspot at the training centre.
Nothing. SB has nailed his colours to the mast by selecting Farrell, and then gifting him captain status. He now has no choice but to select him to start, or look incompetent. So we either see poor Ford dropped to make way, or Marchant (because a fit Manu will always start). Option 1 means poor service at 10, option 2 means no pace an impact at centre and the ball never making it anywhere near a wing unless it's hoofed into the air.

I think Englands best backs set up has to be:
9. Mitchell
10. Ford
11. May
12. Manu
13. Marchant
14. Daly
15. Steward
The only change i would make to that is if Arundel gets some game time and demonstrates he can produce some of his prem skills at this level, then I'd be tempted to replace May with him.
You then have Care, Smith and Lawrence as your bench team.
Why we ever brought Youngs, Farrell and Binny is beyond me. Dead weight that will be shoved into the lineup to spare the embarrassment of the coaches.

Again a banana skin, 1 win isn't a new dawn.
Hopefully game management and defense is aa good.
Must see alot more in attack.
Win by less than 6

Again a banana skin, 1 win isn't a new dawn.
Hopefully game management and defense is aa good.
Must see alot more in attack.
Win by less than 6
I know things have been a little troubled of late, but Japan currently sit 14th in the world. If we consider them a banana skin we might as well go home now. Assuming we can manage to keep 15 men on the field for at least 60 minutes, we should be looking at a comfortable win. This isn't the same Japan that beat SA a few years back. Of course we should always respect an opposition, but we shouldn't fear them.

Just on a quick note around laws and refing. To stop the complete inconsistent approach to how many infringements a team makes before getting a card (thinking of Wales against Fiji who were given a massive let off by the ref after numerous pens in the 22), why don't we simply say 3 pens in a row in the 22 equals a yellow? Easy to remember and then fair both ways. Plus forces teams to stay honest in the red zone and keeps the game flowing.

Latest posts