• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

[RWC2019][Quarter-Final 2] New Zealand vs. Ireland (19/10/2019)

I don't know but it definitely won't be Gardner, I'd say he's on touch judge duty for the rest of the tournament. I'd be happy with any of Berry, Gauzere or Barnes who are a level above anyone else in Japan.

Peyper and Gardner are best avoided for Ireland.

We'll take Barnes!
You can have Berry and Wales can have Gauzere.
Japan can have Peyper, sure he'll still manage to screw it up for S.A somehow.

Ireland will have to lower the error count quite considerably to win. They've troubled the NZ'ers in the past because Ireland's game removed the platform for them to play. That game has deserted them of late and handling errors, poor kicks and lack of accuracy in the clear out has given poorer teams the initiative. NZ will win handily if we continue the trend.

Can we turn the corner and do it though? I think we can. I was impressed with the Samoa performance. The second half reminded me of Ireland of old. Forcing mistakes and all out attrition on the opposition. Given the respect we have for our possible QF opponents (SA or NZ) i think we've known for some time this is our final and i expect a massive ramp up in intensity on the day.

Hoping for a good game not ruined by an official or a ******* safety interpretation thats gone too far!

We'll take Barnes!
You can have Berry and Wales can have Gauzere.
Japan can have Peyper, sure he'll still manage to screw it up for S.A somehow.

Yes, give us Peyper. Would be nice if we had a ref on our side for once... He can even stand next to Kolisi and sing the National Anthem with the guys.

If you want to win something you have to beat the best. That is what we have to do. But in the quarters. Our lads all play to their best. BRING IT ON.

As much as I like Ireland, my love for the All Blacks is just too strong and too old to let the shamrock get in the way :).

Although I think that non playing Italy in the WE was a setback for New Zealand in terms of not being able to have an on field build up to the QF, I truly believe that Hansen has kept his cards close to the chest with regard to this game in particular and we will probably see the true ABs take on countering the rush defense style of play.

I genuinely believe that New Zealand should move the ball around the park at a high pace, whilst trying not to be led towards an endlessly and tiresome battle at the breakdown, thus slowing the game down and be subject to the risk of facing penalties. Larksea' team was pretty spot on, although I would opt for playing Weber off the bench, seems to be a more game changer than TJ Perenara.

Having said that, I hope for an All Blacks performance rivaling the level shown by the 2015 vintage in the QF against France.

Of all the QFs, this is the one I just can't decide on. There's the argument that Ireland haven't hit their straps yet, but also that NZ have had an armchair ride and might be a little undercooked. They play such different styles, too. It's going to be electric though and I can't wait to watch it.

If you want to win something you have to beat the best. That is what we have to do. But in the quarters. Our lads all play to their best. BRING IT ON.

History would beg to differ.

If Ireland are ever gonna break their QF hoodoo this would be the game to do it in. How many times have Ireland been favourites in QF's? Pretty much all of the ones that I can remember (there may well be some that I have forgotten).
To be honest, only the last two (although we underperformed by not even getting there in 1999 and 2007).

Definitely weren't favourites in 2003, 1995, 1991 (where we nearly beat Australia) or 1987.

To be honest, only the last two (although we underperformed by not even getting there in 1999 and 2007).

Definitely weren't favourites in 2003, 1995, 1991 (where we nearly beat Australia) or 1987.
Fair enough, couldn't remember anything of Ireland's tribulations pre 2007 tbh.

Last edited:
I don't think this will be close for some reason? Ireland have not been good for a while and I can see New Zealand wanting to right the wrongs against them. New Zealand by at least 12. Complete kiss of death

I'm actually feeling relatively confident given the circumstances. Has some parallels with the England game in 2017, and similar games where we pulled off an upset again a better team despite having relatively little hype going in.

I do think that the All Blacks aren't perfect, and that they do have vulnerabilities. I think we can definitely go after their scrum, and Retallick's fitness is a real question that could be a major factor. Would also say I'm not absolutely sold on the new backline either but at serious risk of looking like an idiot as well so we'll see.

The Italy game being cancelled is a boost for us as well, they won't have played together for weeks while we our first string had a good win together last week. I'd usually subscribe to the 'rest is better' school of thought but in this instance the Samoa game was exactly what we needed.

The obvious caveat to all of this is that the All Blacks have for the most part better players and are coming in in better form, but I'm feeling optimistic regardless.

Team is easy enough to predict, only question is 6 (and let's face it that's a more of a question for me than Joe). I'll continue to hold out hope that we won't see Best but I've accepted that we will. Seen a fair few calls for Larmour to start but likewise that's unlikely, Earls and Kearney are both playing well and Stockdale is Stockdale. Larmous and Conway will justifiably be able to consider themselves hard done by but that's life. Rest of the team picks itself.

So Healy, Best (internal sigh), Furlong, Henderson, Ryan, O'Mahony, Van Der Flier, Stander, Murray, Sexton, Stockdale, Henshaw, Ringrose, Earls, Kearney with Scannell/Cronin (I want Cronin, could be either though), Porter, Beirne (please no Kleyn), Ruddock (would swap with POM), McGrath, Carbery, Larmour.

Anyway, our defence has been pretty great so far all things considered, and we have halfbacks who will win us tight games if they get a half-decent platform. If we can keep it tight and not gift them an opportunities (which they'll inevitably take), I'd back us to win this is it's low scoring.

Ireland by 4.

If I had only seen the ABs play this year and hadn't seen Ireland I would be picking the NH side for a fairly standard victory here as I consider this the least impressive AB side of around 10 years and I actively dislike what they are doing with their backs (although losing DMac and Dagg is going to test most backlines).

But the Irish decline is very real, the question is if a 90% Ireland is good enough. Henshaw and Ringrose are both good centres but have yet to convince me as a combination, so Aki's absence is quite big to me (not that he is a world beater). I dont know why, but Sexton looked like he had rediscovered his mojo in the last game and that is the only thing keeping my mind open on this.

If the ABs go giving SBW and Goodhue a lot of gametime then I might put the Guinness on ice, but with ALB and Crotty they should be solid (but unspectacular for the neutral).

Kia ora everyone, what a game we have coming up.

I'd like to offer my 10 cents and opinion on this epic match-up!

Firstly, I'm not going to lie, I'd rather get the Scots than the Irish, it's going to be a physical game and it will undoubtedly take a massive toll on the players.

Do I fear Ireland? Yes and no.

I fear the Irish forwards and lack of ball we will get from them. We were suffocated vs them last year. Their forwards gave us nothing. I also fear some Irish backline players, but think they are criminally underused at times, which leads me to not fear them in possession as much as I should. They tried to play an expansive game vs Japan and it worked in the first half, but then it was clear they have ran out off ideas. I just don't think they are capable of piling the points on us. (2016 being an exception).

Do I think Ireland will beat us?

The short answer is no. But it's a one off game, so of course they can. But I will focus on the 'no' first.

I believe they won't beat us, because unlike Ireland, we have been evolving offensively since our last meeting. We have introduced new attacking formations to combat Irelands great rush defence. It was actually the loss to Ireland that inspired these bold changes from Hansen after their comprehensive victory last year in Ireland, where we looked utterly clueless for large stretches of that game - in comes the "dual playmaker" and the new layout of our pods, but...

The problem is, we have not played enough with the first team and possibly have not played enough for this system to be fully integrated yet. We have seen glimpses of it working, such as our last game vs Australia and 10 minutes during the first half of the South African game. However, I feel Hansen will be feeling nervous after not having one more hit out against the Italians with this system in place.

Anyhow, I believe the new system will be too much for the Irish defence and they will also struggle too much on attack to win this game. The game is likely going to come down to some outstanding individual performances too. Richie will need his kicking boots and we will need a high tackling percentage all around the park, because I'm sure we will play with less ball.

I wish Ireland & the fans the best of luck and really hope it's a great game with as little controversy as possible and played in good spirits! Slainte!
Prediction: All Blacks 22-15 Ireland.

Last edited:
I'm actually feeling relatively confident given the circumstances. Has some parallels with the England game in 2017, and similar games where we pulled off an upset again a better team despite having relatively little hype going in.

I do think that the All Blacks aren't perfect, and that they do have vulnerabilities. I think we can definitely go after their scrum, and Retallick's fitness is a real question that could be a major factor. Would also say I'm not absolutely sold on the new backline either but at serious risk of looking like an idiot as well so we'll see.

The Italy game being cancelled is a boost for us as well, they won't have played together for weeks while we our first string had a good win together last week. I'd usually subscribe to the 'rest is better' school of thought but in this instance the Samoa game was exactly what we needed.

The obvious caveat to all of this is that the All Blacks have for the most part better players and are coming in in better form, but I'm feeling optimistic regardless.

Team is easy enough to predict, only question is 6 (and let's face it that's a more of a question for me than Joe). I'll continue to hold out hope that we won't see Best but I've accepted that we will. Seen a fair few calls for Larmour to start but likewise that's unlikely, Earls and Kearney are both playing well and Stockdale is Stockdale. Larmous and Conway will justifiably be able to consider themselves hard done by but that's life. Rest of the team picks itself.

So Healy, Best (internal sigh), Furlong, Henderson, Ryan, O'Mahony, Van Der Flier, Stander, Murray, Sexton, Stockdale, Henshaw, Ringrose, Earls, Kearney with Scannell/Cronin (I want Cronin, could be either though), Porter, Beirne (please no Kleyn), Ruddock (would swap with POM), McGrath, Carbery, Larmour.

Anyway, our defence has been pretty great so far all things considered, and we have halfbacks who will win us tight games if they get a half-decent platform. If we can keep it tight and not gift them an opportunities (which they'll inevitably take), I'd back us to win this is it's low scoring.

Ireland by 4.
Loving the positivity in regards to this match from the Irish. I'd argue that although it's been a bit of a disappointing season for you guys, you alongside South Africa have the best chance of putting the All Blacks out.

Latest posts