• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

[RWC2019][Quarter-Final 2] New Zealand vs. Ireland (19/10/2019)

Loving the positivity in regards to this match from the Irish. I'd argue that although it's been a bit of a disappointing season for you guys, you alongside South Africa have the best chance of putting the All Blacks out.

England have a good chance too if we get through Ireland!

Henshaw and Ringrose are both good centres but have yet to convince me as a combination, so Aki's absence is quite big to me (not that he is a world beater).
Really? Play together at club level have always looked great together? I'd have said they have far more chemistry with each other than either have with Aki (especially Ringrose).
He's never started and lost a world cup game. That also could be said for literally every All Black but I think this holds more water to predict an Irish win.
I mean in this case there is a genuine correlation. The three defeats at the last world cup could all have been different if he'd played. Mad that he's 34 and this will be his first time starting a world cup knockout game.

Henshaw and Ringrose are both good centres but have yet to convince me as a combination, so Aki's absence is quite big to me (not that he is a world beater).
Really? Play together at club level have and always looked great together there? I'd have said they have far more chemistry with each other than either have with Aki (especially Ringrose, Henshaw at least has the Connacht connection)
He's never started and lost a world cup game. That also could be said for literally every All Black but I think this holds more water to predict an Irish win.
I mean in this case there is a genuine correlation. The three defeats at the last world cup could all have been different if he'd played. Mad that he's 34 and this will be his first time starting a world cup knockout game.

didn't you guys only lose once at the last World Cup?

I like our chances. I think we are in great form with minimal injuries and good competition in the squad.
Competition to the point where selection is going to be interesting. Retallick is back but both Scott Barrett and Tuipulotu have been playing really well meaning even the bench slots are going to be tough to select.
The lost game against Italy is a setback. the players will have an internal game but it wont be the same. Having to go from a couple of soft games through a week off into a QF against one of the best teams is a big ask. IMO getting the preparation right from such a poor buildup is going to maybe be the biggest challenge. I see our form against Aussie, Tonga and SA compared to how Ireland are tracking and I don't think Ireland have a chance. But getting back to that level after such a long break since that first pool game against SA is a challenge.

Selection?
1, moody
2, coles
3, laulala
4, Whitelock
5, Retalick
6, Savea
7, Cane
8, Read
9, Smith
10, Richie
11, Bridge
12, SBW
13, ALB
14, Sevu
15, barrett

Taylor, Angus, Ofa, Scott, Todd, Perenara, Jordie, Bender

many spots of contention, could easily see Crotty starting and SBW on the bench. Crotty on the bench for Jordie. Tuipuloto or Frizell on the bench for Todd.
I think Goodhue is down the pecking order since his injury and overall SBW & ALB have been the best midfielders.

Hi Larksea, I agree with that team aside from the SBW selection and Jordie selection.

Crotty will be definitely be starting with ALB and SBW will be on the bench in place of Jordie.

There's just no way you don't have bench cover for SBW or Crotty given their injury history and just Jordie isn't up to playing that role in such a big game yet.

Haven't seen it mentioned here but Aki's ban is 3 games.

I share in the weird Irish optimism for this game, I like the mental state of this Irish team for this game,

Unlucky for Bundee, he played well in last years test. Very harsh, that's him out for the RWC.

If Ireland have Sexton and Murray purring then it's definitely on. Those two have had a dip in form, Murray especially, but if they click then they are probably still the best halfback combination in the world.
Don't know how sexton was ever player of the year he dos t do a lot apart from kick and why does he wear shoulder pads?

Unlucky for Bundee, he played well in last years test. Very harsh, that's him out for the RWC.
Yeah but these new rules are making a mockery of the game if the person being tackled decides to go low be it on his head I say, as a rugby player myself once you have chosen a tackle line as such you don't have the time to change heights if the person being tackled decides to duck he needs to stand up and take the hit,

Really? Play together at club level have and always looked great together there? I'd have said they have far more chemistry with each other than either have with Aki (especially Ringrose, Henshaw at least has the Connacht connection)

Well, I'll admit Ringrose has completely made the grade at international level but I just cant recall seeing the pair in green both impressing together (and I don't see them in blue, so forgive my ignorance). I would pick them as a pairing over any centre pairing the ABs can offer (possibly including ALB/Crotty). I think I'm just on a downer about centre play generally. When Fickou / Vakatawa or La'Faele / Nakamura are my favourite combos in the tournament so far something is deeply wrong.

[useless fact]You've never beaten the ABs with this pairing at centre. [/useless fact]. Hopefully they can prove me wrong and hit the giddy heights achieved by Aki and Payne. :p

I enjoyed listening to Alan Quinlan on YouTube. How is he considered among Irish fans?

Well, I'll admit Ringrose has completely made the grade at international level but I just cant recall seeing the pair in green both impressing together (and I don't see them in blue, so forgive my ignorance). I would pick them as a pairing over any centre pairing the ABs can offer (possibly including ALB/Crotty). I think I'm just on a downer about centre play generally. When Fickou / Vakatawa or La'Faele / Nakamura are my favourite combos in the tournament so far something is deeply wrong.

[useless fact]You've never beaten the ABs with this pairing at centre. [/useless fact]. Hopefully they can prove me wrong and hit the giddy heights achieved by Aki and Payne. :p
I know it happened but I can't remember when they last played in green to be honest, both so injury prone. I'd go into this game saying that they're better anything NZ can throw out with the fairly huge caveat that they're on form, the last time they both were was when hammering Toulouse in the semi final, the two of them were among our worst players v Sarries unfortunately.

I enjoyed listening to Alan Quinlan on YouTube. How is he considered among Irish fans?
He's good when prepared on off the ball, usually very fair. On TV when he has to think on the spot he has a few clangers.

I don't think so. If we win this and Sexton doesn't break we're definitely contenders again.

Nah Ireland would be so over the moon getting over their QF mental hurdle and knocking out the ABs that it'll be very difficult to back it up in the next game physically and emotionally. And England will then take advantage.:p

Latest posts