• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

[RWC2019][Quarter-Final 2] New Zealand vs. Ireland (19/10/2019)

Delighted Crotty isn't playing. Looks like they're going for physicality.

The total number in the starting 15 is similar to the all blacks, 888 for Ireland bs 869. This surprises me as the Irish seem more experienced. I think it helps that some of their players with fewer caps are leaders in the team already; the likes of henshaw and ringrose, Ryan and furlong.

I'd also venture a bet that if you looked at total test playing minutes the Irish starting 15 would be miles ahead of the all blacks, given the likes of Beauden Barrett, laulala, moody, Taylor, savea, cane, alb, and mounga have all played a lot off the bench.

I haven't counted but it's obvious enough that the all blacks have more caps in the reserves.

New to the forum.
Have been following the Rugby World Cup since 2011, glorious cup win for the All Blacks in NZ.
My best guess is that it is going to be a close game.
I truly think that the much deeper All Blacks team will give the AB's an edge over the Irish Squad.
They will have some options to bring on experience and energy in the second half of the game.
T.J Perenara, Jordie, SBW could all turn out to be game winners late in the game.

The total number in the starting 15 is similar to the all blacks, 888 for Ireland bs 869. This surprises me as the Irish seem more experienced. I think it helps that some of their players with fewer caps are leaders in the team already; the likes of henshaw and ringrose, Ryan and furlong.

I'd also venture a bet that if you looked at total test playing minutes the Irish starting 15 would be miles ahead of the all blacks, given the likes of Beauden Barrett, laulala, moody, Taylor, savea, cane, alb, and mounga have all played a lot off the bench.

I haven't counted but it's obvious enough that the all blacks have more caps in the reserves.

Part of it's probably just that NZ play more games a year than Ireland. Pretty sure NZ and Australia play more games than any other international team.

Part of it's probably just that NZ play more games a year than Ireland. Pretty sure NZ and Australia play more games than any other international team.
Yeah 6 RC games and an extra Bledisloe, where as the equivalent for 6N teams play 5 in our Championship. Then the summer tours and November Internationals are much the same.

Yeah 6 RC games and an extra Bledisloe, where as the equivalent for 6N teams play 5 in our Championship. Then the summer tours and November Internationals are much the same.
Add in realistically. 1 of November tour games is effectively a 2nd 15 game.

Add in realistically. 1 of November tour games is effectively a 2nd 15 game.
Same for most teams though right, I know Wales always play at least one NI where they basically change the whole team. I'd imagine that goes for pretty much everyone.

Delighted Crotty isn't playing. Looks like they're going for physicality.

Not sure Goodhue is any more physical than Crotty is, but yeah most NZers would have preferred Crotty as well. Laumape is the guy we would have if we were going physical.

Same for most teams though right, I know Wales always play at least one NI where they basically change the whole team. I'd imagine that goes for pretty much everyone.
Yes that is true I suppose. Effectively play a Tier 2 nation.

My great great grandmother was a full blood Irish, and therefore i will be in full voice supporting Ireland on Saturday.

My great great grandmother was a full blood Irish, and therefore i will be in full voice supporting Ireland on Saturday.

Everyone will be supporting Ireland!! My wife is French so I suppose I could go so far as to support you guys on Sunday! :)

So, @big ginger 8 , let's say 5 years at 2 extra games times 15 players gives 150 tests. Yeah that makes a difference.

perhaps another valid point is experience in big, tight games, of which the all blacks have had less with Australia and South Africa under par in recent years, except South Africa was good last year and this. Ireland have had big mist win 6n games, plus leinsters experiences domestically.
That doesn't make you eligible, where's your contribution to the community?? :p
Everyone will be supporting Ireland!! My wife is French so I suppose I could go so far as to support you guys on Sunday! :)
As above :p

Last edited:
I don't get this point here? This match is also not in NZ, one of the wins was in neutral ground and this is also towards the end of NZs season. That thrashing was also in 2012 so not super relevant to either team - it was still when they used 22 man squads! There's obviously loads of reasons NZ fans should think they can/will win but I'm not sure the above is super relevant.

Irish team as expected really, glad no Kleyn on the bench. Hopefully the bench is used properly because it's one thing I think Schmidt hasn't always been great at. I think NZ's dual playmaker system was at least partially implemented with our type of defence in mind, given the success Andy Farrell defences have had against them. It's easier to get around a blitz with your second playmaker not being in the centres. So will be interesting how we try and counteract that. It's a very mobile NZ team and despite our players leaning out and playing a bit looser in the group I expect us to focus on tight play this weekend.

Yes World Cups are technically neutral but they are difficult to compare because both teams have similar situations in that they are both fairly settled have have been living and training in the same place. So its not like Chicargo.
Yes that thrashing was in 2012 its been a long time since Ireland have had to play the All Blacks in NZ and in that time NZ has Beaten Ireland in Ireland twice? All I'm doing is trying to put the recent record into context.
Also as stated the games have been when he AB's are not at their best, the annual cycle typically goes. The first test is a lottery and the AB's are vulnerable to a good team, then they gather momentum into TRC and usually peak for the season at the later stage of TRC I would say their best game is usually the game after TRC ends which is often against Australia who usually peak a bit earlier and a bit longer as they have more time together and a fresher because less of their players are involved in the super rugby finals. Then the AB's start to drop off a bit and its really noticeable in the last 2 games of the season where players start to look fatigued and coaches look to try and rotate some fresher guys in. 3 of the last 4 games have been this drop off window.
The loss in Chicago is an anomaly, AB's were just not very well prepared in a strange one off game against a very good irish side bit IMO the record was set pretty straight the next week then the AB's beat Ireland pretty comfortably in Ireland.
All treams evolve over a season, I have no idea where what Ireland evolution over a season looks like but the AB's is very predictable in non WC years.

Does that help explain my point?

It sure does, just as bad as NH teams are in their June southbound tours, the same applies to SH teams going North at the end of the year, arguably they perform better in general
This is not rocket science, June is the end for HN teams and December the end for SH teams
World rugby needs one global calendar but guess who is against the latest proposal... money rules everything

I've got an surname that I've only ever seen on the rugby field in an Ireland shirt.

The meltdown if you win would be incredible!

Good luck chaps!!

Latest posts