• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

[RWC2019][Pool B] Round 1 - New Zealand vs. South Africa (21/09/2019)

If we are red carding people for stuff like this - rugby will be a 12 v 12 game soon enough. If I was sad enough to go through every ruck of the game I'm sure I could find half a dozen incidents of people grabbing necks etc.

This, but the "haters of anyone wearing black jersey" on this site will always paint them as the demons - their opposition (whoever they might be) are always the angels. Someone commented earlier that there weren't any Kiwi postersin this thread - its not hard to understand why. This used to be a great forum, but it has slowly degenerated into an echo-chamber for NH haters, who seem hell-bent on picking their villain. How that Richie has retired, they have latched on to Read. Its become another Planet Rugby

Well I'm done with it. This will be my last post here until at least after the World Cup. I have joined another forum, one where you get reasoned debate, not a bunch of haters venting their spleen because the enemy won (again) as they look for any excuse to claim they should not have.

Good luck!

This, but the "haters of anyone wearing black jersey" on this site will always paint them as the demons - their opposition (whoever they might be) are always the angels. Someone commented earlier that there weren't any Kiwi postersin this thread - its not hard to understand why. This used to be a great forum, but it has slowly degenerated into an echo-chamber for NH haters, who seem hell-bent on picking their villain. How that Richie has retired, they have latched on to Read. Its become another Planet Rugby

Well I'm done with it. This will be my last post here until at least after the World Cup. I have joined another forum, one where you get reasoned debate, not a bunch of haters venting their spleen because the enemy won (again) as they look for any excuse to claim they should not have.

Good luck!

Ah good old reasoned debate where people don't disagree with you. The hallmark of a good debate.

Clotheslining people off the ball?
There is no justification for this - less so than Reece Hodge's missed red card (at least he was trying to tackle the ball carrier and ballsed it). Read grabbed the neck of a defender, it's not like the Springbok player ran into Read, who stood his ground or anything like that.

That's his point. There are no mitigating factors (player dipping into the tackle etc.).
It's about as blatant an off the ball high shot as you're ever likely to see in the game, regardless of if he was a foot offside (you can't start whacking everyone who strays offside).

Yikes I know you hate any and all things All Blacks, this is coming across a tad bit over the top. Definitely a penalty, I would've been annoyed if it was a yellow card, and would have been fuming if it was given a red. If that was a SA player I'd be saying the exact same thing. It was cynical and illegal, and grabbing the neck was definitely sloppy but there was no risk of a big injury/concussion which seems to be what they want to be red carding.

Hodge was shoulder to head with a massive impact, this was hand/forearm grab to the neck with not much force in the impact. Quite a big difference.

I'm not trying to come across as a defender of all thing ABs, I wouldn't defend SBW against the Lions or Barrett against Oz. But this incident just wasn't a red card at all.

Honestly the only ones who seem to care about refs decisions on tackling appear to be those from England, Ireland & France.

Almost all Kiwis, South Africans and Aussies just want to get on with the game and win or lose.

Kiwis simply think 'You smashed me...I'll smash you later bro'

Clearly a different mentality to playing the game between the two hemispheres.

I love how everyone who criticises the all blacks is just a blind hater.

I don't hate the all blacks, never have.

Don't like seeing off the ball high shots, especially by players who go on to insult the referee after the game.

For me it's a yellow, but by the framework laid out by world rugby it's a red.
They can't claim to be interested in the safety of players while letting things like this slide.

In what parallel universe is that not a red card?

If we are red carding people for stuff like this - rugby will be a 12 v 12 game soon enough. If I was sad enough to go through every ruck of the game I'm sure I could find half a dozen incidents of people grabbing necks etc.
I can't help but remembering 2015 WC when an Argentine player was suspended for the entire world cup because he put a hand on Retallicks face during a maul and that was deemed to, and I quote "making contact with the eye or eye area".

But i guess grabbing a guy without the ball from the face and pulling him down to prevent him from getting to your scrum-half is perfectly fine.
It's unbelievable the flexibility some people have to bend over backwards to defend the indefensible.

Good luck!
A Munsterman would be proud of the chip on your shoulder there.

People are allowed disagree with you about a referee decision without being engaged in some evil campaign against the team.

There isn't a campaign against Read the exact same way there isn't one against Reece Hodge, people just want to see dangerous play punished. Most, if not all of the complaining I see on the internet about Read is from AB fans who think he's a poor captain, no one has ever painted him as some kind of perpetual cheater. It takes an Olympic level of mental gymnastics to see people call out a high shot after the game, which happens in loads of games involving loads of teams from several different fanbases all the time, and decide it's part of a hate campaign against the player involved. There isn't one against Kieran Read, the same way there isn't one against Ken Owens, Devin Toner or any of the many other players that people called on to be cited during the buildup to the tournament.

And sorry to burst your bubble, but basically no one in the NH actually thinks of you as the enemy (at least in the way you're using the word). Again, people can disagree with ref decisions without it being because they hate you. As it happens, I think the ref got a lot wrong for both sides, that NZ would probably have won anyway if every call had been made correctly, and that people disagreeing with you doesn't mean that the debate isn't reasonable.

You've latched onto the ramblings of a few trolls/idiots, taken them far too seriously and decided they're the motive of comments from people who are neither of the above. You shouldn't take NH clowns seriously, the same way most of us don't take the many many arrogant, stuck-up, childish and superior NZ fans all over the internet seriously. I've been to NZ and know that most real people aren't like that, you should stop thinking that a few trolls represent the opinion of an entire hemisphere.

But, in the end, your loss. If irrationately thinking the rest of the world hates you makes you happy, then you do you and go for it.

Last edited:
It's a 100+ year conspiracy for the refs to blatantly cheat to make the All Blacks win... because that makes financial sense to world rugby...

To have the greatest rugby nation of all time exist on two small islands down in the pacific where it is harder to make bank on them.

.....i can see that being given as Red

the whole, if he wasn't offside it wouldn't have happened thing is BS too, that's not how the rules work and we all know it, a card would take precedence over and offside.

From where i sit, there does seem to be a bias against the AB's...but it think its feed by kiwis coming on and defending every single thing the AB's do, no matter how bad.

If we kiwis...specially when we've won...maybe just cool off and let people vent....god forbid even acknowledge some times AB's do stupid stuff...then we'd move on a lot faster and not get into these stupid arguments...

believe it not no one on this forum can get someone sited just by posting they should be sited

and some people need to just accept normal people/players aren't planning to go out and hurt the other team...that's would be psychotic...just like others need to accept WR doesn't have a great plan for the AB's to win everything...that would kill the sport

Wow this has escalated!

Under the current directives a definite Red but when has current directives ever mattered to the refs.

... and no one hates New Zealand or their rugby team, their awesome and pretty much always have been... it's just that black shirt acts as some kind of invisibility cloak as far as refs are concerned and it rankles, as NZ don't need the help!

... and no one hates New Zealand or their rugby team, their awesome and pretty much always have been... it's just that black shirt acts as some kind of invisibility cloak as far as refs are concerned and it rankles, as NZ don't need the help!
we get calls go against us too. **** happens

A little knowledge (i.e Googling somthing you know little about) is a dangerous thing (see mitigating factors)

Mitigating circumstances? He dragged him down by his head off the ball to stop him making a tackle.

Deliberate.
High.
Off the ball.
With force.

I know rugby is getting softer but come on...i missed this in the game but theres nothing to stop this being a red?...

Don't think Owens would get two finals on the bounce... Barnes is the best ref anyway, I'd take him every-time if offered.
I have a feeling it's going to be Gardner even though he's gone badly off the boil this year.

https://twitter.com/Arnie_DRE/status/1175478431175385090?s=20

Yeah, that's a red for me.

And even if you could find a way to twist the laws to make it a yellow or less why give him the benefit of the doubt? I have some sympathy for tacklers getting it wrong in a split second collision and getting carded for contact with the head but he's playing the man off the ball and grabbing him by the neck/ head. What an idiot.

As for the state of the forum I also find it bit uninviting as a kiwi sometimes. You can guarantee every All Blacks thread will contain complaining about the haka and about referee bias for NZ. Then lots of shitty comments about how New Zealanders always complain about refs, we are disrespectful towards kickers and very precious about other people disrespecting the haka. Oh yeah, and we are cheats. Also in this thread someone said we would be in to gloat later after we win so I guess that's a thing too.

It doesn't really bother me because whatever it's the internet but since someone brought it up I thought I'd share my 2 cents.

As for the state of the forum I also find it bit uninviting as a kiwi sometimes. You can guarantee every All Blacks thread will contain complaining about the haka and about referee bias for NZ. Then lots of shitty comments about how New Zealanders always complain about refs, we are disrespectful towards kickers and very precious about other people disrespecting the haka. Oh yeah, and we are cheats. Also in this thread someone said we would be in to gloat later after we win so I guess that's a thing too.
That's fair but as I said above it's not worth taking seriously and probably doesn't really represent the general view (at least when people are talking rationally, we're all guilty of a few bad angry takes).

That's fair but as I said above it's not worth taking seriously and probably doesn't really represent the general view (at least when people are talking rationally, we're all guilty of a few bad angry takes).

I agree, anyone getting upset about comments on the internet only have themselves to blame.

It's just a bit of shame here because there are lots of great posters with good insight and banter but often the NZ threads are full of cliche garbage.

I don't contribute at all though so I'm not really in a position to be complaining!

Latest posts