• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

[RWC2019][Pool B] Round 1 - New Zealand vs. South Africa (21/09/2019)

Now you see, I thought WE were at a disadvantage with French referees, given our record under them recently especially Garces, because he is very slack on policing midfield offsides, and lets be clear, the "rush" defence we are seeing being used by teams such as Ireland and South Africa is really an "offside" defence - they start from in front of the hind most foot, and they rush early nearly every time. Last night was no exception

It is something that the referees really need to crack down on because it stifles enterprising back-play.

if they meet again in the final. Who would you prefer to ref the final? Barnes or Owens, assuming Garces or Poite Or Gardner aren't considered?

if they meet again in the final. Who would you prefer to ref the final? Barnes or Owens, assuming Garces or Poite Or Gardner aren't considered?

Don't think Owens would get two finals on the bounce... Barnes is the best ref anyway, I'd take him every-time if offered.

Don't think Owens would get two finals on the bounce... Barnes is the best ref anyway, I'd take him every-time if offered.

well you say that , but Andre Watson reffed both the 1999 and 2003 RWC final. I don't think WR will forget that Owens has reffed the most entertaining big matches like the last RWC final and the 2013 encounter between SA v NZ at Ellis Park. Of course, this assumes Wales don't themselves reach the final.

There is of course the sentimental reason to give Barnes the final, if England don't get there. Being his last match as a ref.

Stadium went dead quiet during the Tongan 'haka'... respect ✊

No irish at the england game...

Quite apart from the Read incident, which I agree he should have been cited and banned for that. How the hell is where the Coles/Taylor throwing in in the middle and straight? Or has there been another new rule to allow hookers throwing in standing on their team's side and not between the two lines of forwards.

The ref got the scrum all kinds of wrong, the Bok scrum was superior and his interpretation of what was happening was a major dent in us getting momentum. Our forward pack is better than the ABs.
agree about the scrums. spider cam is awesome for seeing who isnt scrumming straight and it showed it was moody all day.
the lack of owenFranks is obvious now but i feel it will only be obvious vs the boks scrum. ABs got beaten up at almost every scrum. i saw one scrum where ABs front row had collasped and were still being pushed backwards whilst they were on the ground. its been ages since ive seen the ABs scrum get so dominated.

Last edited:

Either, and Gardner (why would he not be considered if Australia are not the opponent)?

Last edited:
He should be banned for that. Set out to be malicious there.
Quite apart from the Read incident, which I agree he should have been cited and banned for that. How the hell is where the Coles/Taylor throwing in in the middle and straight? Or has there been another new rule to allow hookers throwing in standing on their team's side and not between the two lines of forwards.

What the hell are you guys smoking?

Yellow card sure, but cited? Really. You think that meets the red card threshold?

Oh, and by the way, Nel was already across the mark-of-touch while the ball was still not caught

OFFSIDE AT A LINEOUT
29. All lineout players are onside if they remain on their side of the mark of touch until the
ball has been thrown in and touched a player or the ground.
30. Players jumping for the ball who cross the mark of touch and do not catch the ball must
immediately return to their own side.
31. Until the ball is thrown in, and has touched the player or the ground, the offside line for
lineout players is the mark of touch. After that, their offside line is a line through the ball.

...he was offside at the lineout. If he hadn't infringed, he wouldn't have been where he was, and it would likely not have happened

Last edited:
high-tackle-v2-en.png

Arm --> Yes --> High --> Red card.

This is the framework that they brought in for this world cup.

high-tackle-v2-en.png

A little knowledge (i.e Googling somthing you know little about) is a dangerous thing (see mitigating factors)

high-tackle-v2-en.png

If we are red carding people for stuff like this - rugby will be a 12 v 12 game soon enough. If I was sad enough to go through every ruck of the game I'm sure I could find half a dozen incidents of people grabbing necks etc.

If we are red carding people for stuff like this
Clotheslining people off the ball?
There is no justification for this - less so than Reece Hodge's missed red card (at least he was trying to tackle the ball carrier and ballsed it). Read grabbed the neck of a defender, it's not like the Springbok player ran into Read, who stood his ground or anything like that.

Do you even understand what "mitigating" means?

https://lmgtfy.com/?q=mitigating
That's his point. There are no mitigating factors (player dipping into the tackle etc.).
It's about as blatant an off the ball high shot as you're ever likely to see in the game, regardless of if he was a foot offside (you can't start whacking everyone who strays offside).

If we are red carding people for stuff like this - rugby will be a 12 v 12 game soon enough. If I was sad enough to go through every ruck of the game I'm sure I could find half a dozen incidents of people grabbing necks etc.

I'll agree there is an issue with wrapping around the neck after initial tackles that is inconsistent, but that's just cynical from Read and foul play.