• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Rugby World Cup 2011 Official Game

In this "contest", I'm happy to say Sidhe is the underdog. HB Studios has the better track record on paper, having released actual rugby union ***les and they have worked on a lot more sports ***les than us. That doesn't mean we aren't working hard to give them a good run for their money though.

Congrats to Alastair and HB Studios on the announcement. Look forward to hearing and seeing more on the game.

Thanks Mario. We're equally looking forward to seeing what you and your team have been working on. Knowing what it takes from the teams to make these games a reality we really wish you guys all the best for the final push.

I'd remind the members of this community that you've got two games coming out this year that are a reflection of their respective teams' passion for Rugby and for the work that we do. Our game is truly an independent game whose development and licensing efforts are being entirely underwritten by HB - it has in many ways been a labour of love for us - and we're tremendously excited to be collaborating with the team of passionate rugby fans at 505 as we bring our game to market. The Sidhe project is equally ambitious and I'm sure they are just as excited to share the results of their work with you all.

It's shaping up to be an exciting year.

Last edited:
I think HB will focus a lot more on the WC this time round. The reason the game exists is because it will be released in a WC year.

They'll probably get around their licensing trouble that way too, in a similar way Swordfish did with Brian Lara/Ricky Ponting Cricket 2005. BLIC 2005 didn't have the rights to any of the individual teams but had the right to use real names in ICC tournaments. While Sidhe has licensed the All Blacks, HB may license the WC through the IRB and have real player names in the WC mode.

I posted this back in December in another thread and I still stand by it. I can almost guarantee NZL and AUS will be licensed in this game. ;)

Yeah there should be every teams that attempted to qualify, but missed out during the qualifying stages... Just like the Fifa World Cup game.

Perhaps this could even be a gameplay option if you select one of the minnow teams you have the option to go through qualifying to get there, most of the qualifying took place in a playable amount of matches and would add a realisitc goal to playing as someone like Uruguay at a harder difficulty level.

It would also expand the freindly test match options, Canada played Spain and Portugal last November and it would be pretty cool to play in the game as well, I'm not saying to add Finland or anybody, but it would be nice to add another 8-10 minnows, Portugal and Uruguay epescially only narrowly missed out on the RWC. I would hope the licences for those teams wouldn't be an excessive investment and might expand the games reach into those markets.

And as a Canadian company with HB I can only assume that the Rugby demi-god Ed Fairhurst will be included in the Canadian Squad, obviously with 100 skill ratings in all categories, in fact it may even have to be a special challenge match that once you win the World Cup you have to play a Fairhurst and Friends squad.

Last edited:
I'm excited! It really is something to finally be able to announce this game. I know we haven't been all that forthcoming with information over the past few months but we hope to be able to share more info with you guys sooner then later. We are going to try to get you guys some screen shots as soon as we possibly can to show what the game looks like.

I look forward to seeing some screenshots and seeing how everything has "evolved" since the last incarnation of rugby 08. Ill be getting this, it is coming out 3 days before my bday :)

Thanks Mario. We're equally looking forward to seeing what you and your team have been working on. Knowing what it takes from the teams to make these games a reality we really wish you guys all the best for the final push.

I'd remind the members of this community that you've got two games coming out this year that are a reflection of their respective teams' passion for Rugby and for the work that we do. Our game is truly an independent game whose development and licensing efforts are being entirely underwritten by HB - it has in many ways been a labour of love for us - and we're tremendously excited to be collaborating with the team of passionate rugby fans at 505 as we bring our game to market. The Sidhe project is equally ambitious and I'm sure they are just as excited to share the results of their work with you all.

It's shaping up to be an exciting year.

That's great to hear Alistair, it seems to me that many of the fans are commenting on licensing more than anything else, but I'm sure that's really indicative of the fact that they have a lot of faith in your teams ability to deliver first rate gameplay and graphics, especially with the capabilities of the newer platforms the game will be on.

With respect to licensing I know that can be the hardest thing to have everything in place to announce, but many of the fans seem to be hoping that an editing feature or player creator may exist within the game, regardless of which licenses are available within the game. With this being the first big announcement, it's obvious more is to follow on a range of aspects and that's great.

I'm sure in the meantime though many of the fans feel a mixture of an excitement due to the obvious talent that the HB team has consistently shown over the years and a trepidation that there may be less control over playing the game with the feeling of authenticity that they are hoping for.

One thing's absolutely for sure, everyone no doubt wants both teams to do extremely well with their rugby games this year. A dual success can only help the chance of more rugby gaming in the future.

To the rugby gaming fans, whatever licenses or features are available, I'm buying both. It's an investment in the future of rugby gaming and we all need to put our money where our mouths are. :D

And as a Canadian company with HB I can only assume that the Rugby demi-god Ed Fairhurst will be included in the Canadian Squad, obviously with 100 skill ratings in all categories, in fact it may even have to be a special challenge match that once you win the World Cup you have to play a Fairhurst and Friends squad.

This made me laugh for about 5 minutes straight, well done sir.

I'm excited! It really is something to finally be able to announce this game. I know we haven't been all that forthcoming with information over the past few months but we hope to be able to share more info with you guys sooner then later. We are going to try to get you guys some screen shots as soon as we possibly can to show what the game looks like.

Looking forward to it!

So on august 26th i'll be able to go to eb games, buy rugby world cup 2011, go home and play as team canada in the world cup?! this game is being released in canada right?!

So on august 26th i'll be able to go to eb games, buy rugby world cup 2011, go home and play as team canada in the world cup?! this game is being released in canada right?!

If that fails, just drive to Nova Scotia, knock on HB's door and demand a copy!!! :D

Official game of the WC and it won't even have all licenses? :/ that leaves a lot to be desired, especially if there is only INT teams in the game.

Not having the All Blacks license in any form for a NZ based tournament is pretty sad.

Considering that we haven't had a rugby game in a very long time, the news presented to us today is a big step forward. I can only imagine how licensing for sports teams can be a major pain in the ass to attain. The way I see it is that if the game is really good and rates highly it will receive the attention it deserves and that means more opportunities for perfection in the future.

A big step forward is an understatement! This news is absolutely incredible! I'm so glad and can't wait for August!

looks like I'm getting both RWC 2011 and Rugby challenge.

Well HB made the Fifa world cup game, and that presentation was awesome, the graphics were awesome and there were alot less licenses to get. Although the rugby gameplay would be a little rusty, I'm still hoping for some kind of physics system and cut scenes that aren't random. Graphics are, or should be, a given considering HB's past with EA Sports games.

Isn't it strange if the official world cup game didn't have all the team licenses?
Probably be like that codemasters cricket game where the world cup feature had the real names and the "play now" had fake names.

Isn't it strange if the official world cup game didn't have all the team licenses?
Probably be like that codemasters cricket game where the world cup feature had the real names and the "play now" had fake names.

I think having this and/or the possibility of editing teams clarified should be a priority. Once fans know one way or the other they can move on from the issue. Anyone who may be expecting them to "just stop talking about it and move on" is more than a little unrealistic.

We have one party saying loudly and clearly that the World Cup does not and can not feature the Australian and New Zealand national teams and silence from the other party. I think you can't label it any more fairly than a very legitimate concern from the fans.

Official game of the WC and it won't even have all licenses? :/ that leaves a lot to be desired, especially if there is only INT teams in the game.

Not having the All Blacks license in any form for a NZ based tournament is pretty sad.

Gosh umosay I haven't seen your name for years lol! Though that is probably cos I have not been around for a bit.

I'm not really worried if it is just 20 teams. I don't think I've ever played as anyone other than England or New Zealand lol. As long as it plays great, doing the WC over and over will be fine with me. Hoping for 6 and Tri nations as well

I will probably buy both games. Simply for the same reason I buy music CDs....because I support the people making them and want to make an investment towards them where they will continue working hard to bring out better products in the future.

I think both companies need to be commended.

Whatever HB brings out....it will be a welcome new addition regardless of how it plays because rugby just doesn't have that many ***les as other sports. Every new addition that HB brings out is pretty much an improvement (not counting rugby 08 because that was going back to ps2 graphics/framerate).

My only complaint from the previous EA version was random rucks. If they have fixed that up then I am easily pleased.

Latest posts