• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Rugby World Cup 2011 Official Game

Are you really so naive that you don't understand that there are damn good reasons why a Rugby game hasn't been made in four years? They aren't huge money making exercises. The world cup offers a chance for Rugby in general to have a raised profile throughout the world, during this time there's hope that these companies may actually be able to turn a profit on these games. They aren't milking a cash cow.

Answer me this, do you want both companies to not make any money? If so, you wish for the death rugby games. Making money is a large part of the business world, and also is what pays the bills for all the artists and talent who make the games. I want all involved to make a profit. :D

Anyhow, should they make a profit, do HB and Sidhe not have the right to release another game next year?

Do we want them all to stop?

Do we want to wait another four years?

How about this question, are you regularly making these same comments about the Fifa Series, Call Of Duty, NHL, Assassins Creed, Tiger Woods and others who produce games more often than once every four years?

If you can't afford £40 every year or two, that's a shame but perhaps blame some other companies for making so many games so regularly. With rugby games it makes little sense.

No not naive - and don't be so patronising.

I am just very aware that 20 teams and a world cup mode will potentially suffer. Look at all the crappy Fifa - Road to the World Cup games. Once you've won the world cup it's a little academic after that. I hope they make a shed load of money out of the basic platform, because that is what will encourage a more regular serving. I don't need to complain about Fifa, Madden et al, because I don't have to wait 4 years for a game with only 20 teams in it, because the 'special ***le' (Road to world cup, Euro champs or whatever) is only an interim to the more mainstream games, as oppose to this, which is the mainstream game.

No not naive - and don't be so patronising.

I am just very aware that 20 teams and a world cup mode will potentially suffer. Look at all the crappy Fifa - Road to the World Cup games. Once you've won the world cup it's a little academic after that. I hope they make a shed load of money out of the basic platform, because that is what will encourage a more regular serving. I don't need to complain about Fifa, Madden et al, because I don't have to wait 4 years for a game with only 20 teams in it, because the 'special ***le' (Road to world cup, Euro champs or whatever) is only an interim to the more mainstream games, as oppose to this, which is the mainstream game.

On the contrary, don't tell me not to be patronising, I don't do as I'm told by you, thanks. :D

The post above also demonstrates why your thinking is naive. Making games for PS3 costs many times over what it cost for the PS2 and Xbox. Then along with that licensing is something that always seems to become more expensive and complicated as the years go by.

Rugby 2006 was heavily and widely pirated on PC and Xbox and that made rugby significantly less viable. Then the World Cup came along and Rugby '08 was another attempt to be viable as a franchise. It was also pirated massively on PC and somewhat on PS2. Consequently, when combined with the costs associated with licensing and making games on the newer platforms, Rugby has become a riskier prospect for producers and developers.

Also, rugby does not have the world-wide potential audience of the biggest sports game in the world like Fifa or the huge sales of Madden or Basketball games. Even EA (mega budget guys) had to cancel their NBA Live franchise when it was getting it's behind kicked by a rival.

Then you have the fact that the world has just been through and is still recovering from an economic recession, where money lending has been the root cause.

Combine those problems with the fact that when they finally get going on a new Rugby, another company is also in the game at the same time making their own Rugby project and you have a recipe for difficulty on an absolutely unparalleled level.

To naively blame HB for not having every game mode and license is just incredibly short sighted.

Sometimes in life we can't always get everything we want like a spoiled child, sometimes we have to make do with the best we can realistically get.

If these two games don't sell, then kiss Rugby gaming goodbye for another long time. With new platforms likely to be starting to come around 4-5 years from now, it may be a very, very long time.

If you want to blame anyone, blame all the rugby gamers who ever downloaded their copy and didn't buy the original.

Mind you, we really should just stamp our feet, shouldn't we?

You do realise that its also a fair and valid point that load of people are sick and tired of reading the same thing?

You do realise you can ignore posts ?? Hmm seems some of you's have been sitting on the forum to long maybe you need a nanny nap.

In actual fact you SHOULD complain about the Fifa, Madden, etc etc type series. Every year they bring out another new ***le which is only slightly different from the previous year....but they still expect you to pay FULL PRICE for what basically is a tweaked upgrade. So you spend top dollar for a game that is a little bit better than the previous year...and you know in 12 months your high priced game will be replaced by another version with the same high price tag. This can make you question whether it is worth spending top price for a CD that will only last 12 months.

Now we have HB studios bringing out a game that is a 4 year update from the previous version on an updated platform. The previous rugby game was EA rugby 2008 which came out in 2007 on the crappy ps2. WE HAVE HAD NO NEW RUGBY GAME FOR FOUR YEARS AND NO NEW RUGBY GAME ON THE XBOX 360 OR THE PS3. What is coming out is rare....we could have quite easily gone another 4 years with no rugby game and just been resigned to playing soccer, gridiron and basketball updates every year. Rugby in the gaming market is rare....if a game comes out we need to fight for it like hungry dogs fighting over the last bone. WHATEVER they give us this year is RARE....we need to take it for what it is...a rare game that quite easily may have never happened. Gee....I would quite happily play and PAY for a NEW rugby game on the NEW consoles if it had only two teams with no licenses...cos rugby pundits have had ZERO games for the last 4 years. Anything more is a bonus. 20 teams....great! Online...amazing! There has never been rugby gaming online.

If they bring out a game next year....THEN it would be fair enough to expect more than 20 teams and online play. However after having nothing for four years and nothing on the new gaming consoles and nothing online ever...whatever they give us is all a bonus from before...cos before...we had nothing.

You do realise you can ignore posts ?? Hmm seems some of you's have been sitting on the forum to long maybe you need a nanny nap.

It's "some of you", not "you's". Yeah sure you can ignore stupidity, unfortunately not addressing it is what many parents do nowadays and that just makes it worse. :D

In actual fact you SHOULD complain about the Fifa, Madden, etc etc type series. Every year they bring out another new ***le which is only slightly different from the previous year....but they still expect you to pay FULL PRICE for what basically is a tweaked upgrade. So you spend top dollar for a game that is a little bit better than the previous year...and you know in 12 months your high priced game will be replaced by another version with the same high price tag. This can make you question whether it is worth spending top price for a CD that will only last 12 months.

Now we have HB studios bringing out a game that is a 4 year update from the previous version on an updated platform. The previous rugby game was EA rugby 2008 which came out in 2007 on the crappy ps2. WE HAVE HAD NO NEW RUGBY GAME FOR FOUR YEARS AND NO NEW RUGBY GAME ON THE XBOX 360 OR THE PS3. What is coming out is rare....we could have quite easily gone another 4 years with no rugby game and just been resigned to playing soccer, gridiron and basketball updates every year. Rugby in the gaming market is rare....if a game comes out we need to fight for it like hungry dogs fighting over the last bone. WHATEVER they give us this year is RARE....we need to take it for what it is...a rare game that quite easily may have never happened. Gee....I would quite happily play and PAY for a NEW rugby game on the NEW consoles if it had only two teams with no licenses...cos rugby pundits have had ZERO games for the last 4 years. Anything more is a bonus. 20 teams....great! Online...amazing! There has never been rugby gaming online.

If they bring out a game next year....THEN it would be fair enough to expect more than 20 teams and online play. However after having nothing for four years and nothing on the new gaming consoles and nothing online ever...whatever they give us is all a bonus from before...cos before...we had nothing.

Let's see if speaking sense to the "i want more" crowd can actually help at all. I hope so, but am a little sceptical.

At the end of the day wanting more is fine for a follow-up.

What people could ask about is "will these 20 teams all be licensed" (understandable concern). "Will there be an editor to put in names and players you want" (also understandable). Being politely concerned and questioning is fine, but there's more to be concerned about than world cup teams only. We still don't even know if it is only World Cup teams, there's more to the game yet to be announced.

Let's see if speaking sense to the "i want more" crowd can actually help at all. I hope so, but am a little sceptical.

At the end of the day wanting more is fine for a follow-up.

What people could ask about is "will these 20 teams all be licensed" (understandable concern). "Will there be an editor to put in names and players you want" (also understandable). Being politely concerned and questioning is fine, but there's more to be concerned about than world cup teams only. We still don't even know if it is only World Cup teams, there's more to the game yet to be announced.

The first and main question for any game should be "Does it play good?"

If that question is in the affirmative....then anything else is just nit picking.

You just have to think of Killzone 2 when it came out.....and the terrible aim system it had. All the flash graphics in the world could not save the crap aim system. COD became successful FIRSTLY because it played well....aim system was fantastic. Everything else about COD was just bonus after bonus...but we would have been frustrated if the aim was crap and it had the same blurring crap that Killzone had when you swung the gun around.

Last edited:
The first and main question for any game should be "Does it play good?"

If that question is in the affirmative....then anything else is just nit picking.

You just have to think of Killzone 2 when it came out.....and the terrible aim system it had. All the flash graphics in the world could not save the crap aim system. COD became successful FIRSTLY because it played well....aim system was fantastic. Everything else about COD was just bonus after bonus...but we would have been frustrated if the aim was crap and it had the same blurring crap that Killzone had when you swung the gun around.

Totally agree with that, game-play must come first.

My only other concern after that is names or ability to edit them. I think great game-play is always number one, but you could still have awesome gameplay and have players run on a blue field, have a brown uniform New Zealand or pass a soccer ball and the game-play would still be awesome.

As much as those things would detract from the experience of great game-play, it'd be just as hard to feel good crossing the chalk with James Wainwright, Rua Tamariki, and kicking goals with Donald Smallbridge. If those things can't be edited, I'd still love the game-play and still buy it, but to be completely honest that's where I'd feel a little disappointed.

Totally agree with that, game-play must come first.

My only other concern after that is names or ability to edit them. I think great game-play is always number one, but you could still have awesome gameplay and have players run on a blue field, have a brown uniform New Zealand or pass a soccer ball and the game-play would still be awesome.

As much as those things would detract from the experience of great game-play, it'd be just as hard to feel good crossing the chalk with James Wainwright, Rua Tamariki, and kicking goals with Donald Smallbridge. If those things can't be edited, I'd still love the game-play and still buy it, but to be completely honest that's where I'd feel a little disappointed.

Editing would be great indeed....I am sure I could put Herbert Tanuvasa in the ABs somewhere lol!

This reminds me years ago on Superstar Soccer when i would change the players of Germany to my mates names....except we are brownies and the Germans were white lol!

It's "some of you", not "you's". Yeah sure you can ignore stupidity, unfortunately not addressing it is what many parents do nowadays and that just makes it worse. :D

Heh, True :) my apologies I hadn't read any of the previous pages (42 to be exact) so yeah it was just an honnest opinion. I want this game to be sucessful and direction its heading or I think is heading, it just may flop at the hands of its competitor.

Heh, True :) my apologies I hadn't read any of the previous pages (42 to be exact) so yeah it was just an honnest opinion. I want this game to be sucessful and direction its heading or I think is heading, it just may flop at the hands of its competitor.

Well, that's a fair enough opinion to have. When worded that way it makes more sense. We're not here trying to only ensure good things are said about the product, just that the views expressed are honest, fair, constructive and also varied. The repetitious comments about only 20 teams were just starting to appear a little overdone.

Still keen to hear your views and thoughts on the game and some of the things you hope could still be announced. :)

These people who are angry about a World Cup game only having 20 teams are the ones who will go online and only use the same one team....the top team

Or of course, could just accept that it's a fair and valid point; and that not everyone has the time, patience or inclination to read 43 pages of thread before making their own post?

You could easily just browse the 43 pages looking for TRF & HB replies, doesn't take that long at all. Ironically if everyone done that there would probably only be about 10 pages to skim through, but now we've just ended up in a 5 page circle

well pre ordered my copy today :D :D was advised to cause of high demand - guess that can only be a good sign?? :D :D :D

Need to get my Xbox Fixed after the leaving cert....Cannot wait for this game..from the grass we saw it looks like the Graphics are going to be fairly puuuurty..

To:

Or of course, could just accept that it's a fair and valid point; and that not everyone has the time, patience or inclination to read 43 pages of thread before making their own post?

and:

This:

You could easily just browse the 43 pages looking for TRF & HB replies, doesn't take that long at all. Ironically if everyone done that there would probably only be about 10 pages to skim through, but now we've just ended up in a 5 page circle

Because TRF is the sole, dedicated forum for Rugby World Cup 2011 it has attracted a lot of new members keen to talk about the game - which is obviously fine, and what was wanted and expected. However, it literally only takes 5 mins to look at what has already been asked or said on previous pages. As Hatch87 pointed out, if everyone does this, then we are consequently left with a much shorter concise thread where new issues are discussed rather than new members repeating the same ones over and over.

I'm by no means having a stab, just emphasising that we all need to help each other out to continue the viability of the threads, otherwise they will just descend into a mess.

One thing I'd like to be found out, if at all possible, is if the game will be supplied to various stores, or just Game?

Latest posts