• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

RBS 6 Nations - England vs Ireland - 17/03/2012 - 17:00

So hey, how does it work exactly in the 6 nations again ?
If we beat Wales and England loses to Ireland: what happens in the final ranks of the tournament, who's 1st, 2nd...etc ?

It depends on points difference the likely outcome would be:

Just quick question. Why do England people say drop Andy Farrell? He's done a good job at Saracens and seems to be doing a fine job with England and players seem to like him and react to him.

this will be earl's biggest test, i imagine that there will be the quick rush up defence like in the france game to stop tuilagi from running round people, doubling up on him and someone to cover a chip over the top

Tuilagi should be worried about Earls running wild all over him maybe :)

:lol:

Can't see England changing much. I hope Sharples gets another chance but Strettle coming back in wouldn't suprise me.

I would like to see Doran-Jones, Wood and Flood on the bench instead of Stevens, Dowson and Hodgson.

Prediction: England to win by 5

Eugh, the last time that we had everyone calling a close game and being all respectful Wales mullered us in the World Cup

Ireland are ****, England by a zillion.

:lol:

Can't see England changing much. I hope Sharples gets another chance but Strettle coming back in wouldn't suprise me.

I would like to see Doran-Jones, Wood and Flood on the bench instead of Stevens, Dowson and Hodgson.

Prediction: England to win by 5
You want to play Flood against Ireland?
It's bad enough Youngs is going to be anywhere near the squad for this game, we shouldn't put Flood in there too.
There's something about the Irish that ruins those two for a good year or more, and it's not the green shirts as they both went to s**t vs Leinster too!

I really think this is the match to drop D'Arcy because if Tuilagi does get the better of Earls that means we have two weak tacklers in the centres. If we have Sexton or McFadden at 12 it means we only have one weak tacklers in the centres and we would have the option of bringing on O'Malley/McFadden to sure up the defence.

It's bad enough Youngs is going to be anywhere near the squad for this game, we shouldn't put Flood in there too.
There's something about the Irish that ruins those two for a good year or more, and it's not the green shirts as they both went to s**t vs Leinster too!

Well we have more than exceeded expections this 6N in my opinion so its a good time to give some players a chance. Hodgson is not going to be around for the next RWC. Flood will be. Although Ford may push him down the pecking order. I hope Flood is busting a gut to get in the side and prove himself again.

I can see where you're coming from, but I'd leave him at Leicester to continue regaining form. If he has another shocker vs the Irish it'll just set him back again.

I can see where you're coming from, but I'd leave him at Leicester to continue regaining form. If he has another shocker vs the Irish it'll just set him back again.

I'm not sure he will even play. They gave Flood the weekend off and Ford played well. I think they will stick with Ford in the final too.

Well we have more than exceeded expections this 6N in my opinion so its a good time to give some players a chance. Hodgson is not going to be around for the next RWC. Flood will be. Although Ford may push him down the pecking order. I hope Flood is busting a gut to get in the side and prove himself again.

Doesn't most of the squad fit within the bracket of players getting a chance? Bit of consistency would do them well now that they're playing half-decent rugby.

Why not put Flood in the squad? Farrell was kept at 10 for the full 80 mins in a big, close match in Paris, with a 9 making his 4th cap and a centre pairing still both in single figures. Can we therefore assume that Hodgson's initial selection as an old, experienced hand is now almost entirely futile.

Now we're not picking on experience, let's forget about Hodgson. Flood's younger, and a better player. He played OK against Sarries and fluffed the DG; he did well when he came on against Wales and he played well last week against Gloucester. Don't tar him with the same brush as Youngs.

What GG said about Flood. Plus if Barritt or Tuilagi goes down and Flood is on the bench, you can stick Flood at 12 if you don't want to disrupt the 9-10 axis (which I generally prefer not doing). That is not an option with Hodgson.

I'm quite worried about this to be honest. I don't think I saw the level of improvement I wanted from England attacking when going through the phases and I think we need to improve a little more to crack Ireland by methods other than monster runners at their centres at times when not babysat by the back-row. We looked deadly on the counter, but we don't turnover much ball and Ireland's kicks are almost always accompanied by Irish chasers. It's not like the up and under is really on against them either - if it is, we need Croft shadowing the chaser; chaser floors the man, Croft rucks over. Or someone else similarly fast and large (Lawes would have been ideal, Tuilagi's a good call).

On the plus side, our defence looks fairly strong ourselves, there is definitley change to be had out of running Tuilagi/Morgan at D'Arcy/Earls - and change to be had out of the fact that Earls will be flying up to stop Tuilagi at root as often as possible, I'd like to build a strike move out of an inside ball from Tuilagi to Foden out wide, that could really take them to the cleaners. Their line out can be targeted as well, which could suit Farrell well. So... bring it on.

Just quick question. Why do England people say drop Andy Farrell? He's done a good job at Saracens and seems to be doing a fine job with England and players seem to like him and react to him.

One he's contracted to Sarries. I don't want to share, and I doubt Sarries do either. Two, I don't want people to start making nepotism arguments in the press. And three and possibly most crucially, Farrell or Wayne Smith isn't really a difficult choice for me.

Is Paul O'Connell still out injured?

That could be a telling factor, as Ireland's maul, with him, is cracking (as is their maul defence) and he's a cornerstone of their choke-tackling (which is ridiculously-annoyingly-effective).

Yeah O'Connell is out still. As is Murray, not that I'm worried about him much.

Interesting that the win over France took us up 2 places in the World rankings, back upto 4th. Above Wales and France. A win over Ireland would be a big help towards being in 1st seeds for RWC2015

I know how to definitely win the first time England get the ball out to 13 have Ferris there waiting. Tuilagi won't be able to finish the game.

England's kicking will really have to be good if they do kick as Bowe and Kearney are on fire.

I'm not going to do a match up which will **** people off for a few pages and get this thread really moving (needs to beat the England Wales one)

England vs Ireland
1. Corbisiero vs Healy = Healy
2. Hartley vs Best
3. Coles vs Ross = Cole has been poor for ages but was real good against France Ross has been consistently good - draw
4. Botha vs O'Callaghan = Botha
5. Parling vs Ryan = Ryan (may annoy some)
6. Croft vs Ferris = Ferris
7. Robshaw vs O'Brien = both 6s I'll say O'Brien
8. Morgan vs Heaslip = I'm sure Heaslip will play well but Morgan
9. Dickson vs Reddan = Dickson
10. Farrell vs Sexton = Sexton (yes he is)
11. Sharples vs Trimble = draw
12. Barritt vs D'arcy = Barritt
13. Tuilagi vs Earls = Tuilagi
14. Strettle vs Bowe = Bowe
15. Foden vs Kearney = at the moment Foden

16. Webber vs Cronin = Cronin
17. Stevens vs Court = draw
18. Palmer vs McCarthy Palmer shades it
19. Wood vs O'Mahony = can't make a judgement since I haven't seen Wood since being injured
20. Youngs vs O'Leary = no one wants them here the crappest draw ever
21. Flood vs O'Gara = O'Gara
22. Brown vs McFadden = McFadden

based on what coaches seem likely to pick.

Latest posts