• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Player Transfers/roster update index thread

Being a NH'er i don't really know what provincial SH rugby is all about.

From what i can tell, The Super 14 teams are franchises, and to play for them earns you a cap, like representing your province/county.

The Air NZ Cup is playing at the moment, and each of the 5 teams (Waikato, Canterbury, Wellington, Otago and Auckland) have a kind of provincial feeder team.

From what i can grasp, the most promising players from each team can only play for the franchise their province is nearest to.

So if this is correct, after the Air NZ Cup has finished, the franchises will draw players from the provincal teams, and will effectively replace leaving players like Mauger, Hayman, Oliver, Gear etc.

Is this correct, or am i completely wrong?

Not too sure about the cap thingy, but it basically works like this:
The S14 franchises draw their players from the following provinces which make up the teams in the NPC

Wellington Hurricanes:
Taranaki, Manawatu Turbos and Wellington Lions.

Auckland Blues:
Auckland, North Harbour, Northland, Counties Manukau

Otago Highlanders:
Southland, Otago

Canterbury Crusaders:
Tasman Makos, Canterbury

Waikato Chiefs:
Bay of Plenty Steamers, Waikato

The other province in the NPC is the Hawkes Bay Magpies, but I'm not sure which franchise they are eligible for.

Anyway so each of the Super franchises get first pick from their own provinces and then unwanted players are chucked into the draft and drafted to other super teams, like; Tipoki, Waquaseduadua and others were in this years Super14.

Cheers Ozzy.. so essentially if i know who plays for the provincial teams, i should be able to guess a few of the players moving onto Super 14.

Sort of but you'd need to know who the top player from those provinces are as well. They'll mainly be the guys who were in the jnr academies for the various super sides this year who'll get to step up to the next level with all the established players heading overseas.
By the by, did you update your NH rosters for NEC Harlequins, I noticed in your 06 roster you have Leeds and I when I pick Harlequins nothing comes up in the editor. What's happening there. Did one of them got demoted??
Did you update all the French, Irish, Welsh and Scottish teams in your roster update, or did you just do the English teams?
The rugby 08 rosters are truly terrible there are far more actual players in 06, for 08 they all have to be created!! :( It makes updating these rosters a real pain, but I am persevering and have now done all the English clubs except Bristol and Harlequins.

I never figured out if you could put players into a blank team field. The Harlequins replace Leeds directly.

Leeds were promoted back to Premiership for 2007-08, and Northampton were relegated. But, Northampton have many more fans than Leeds and should be in the GP as they are one of the most recognised teams, so i have left them there. Otherwise i would have saved over Northampton and left Leeds.

It is likely that Leeds will get relegated next season and Northampton will come back up, so how my roster is now, is how it may be for 2008-09.

The squads i have for Quins and Bristol are below. There are a few players who i have had to leave in the cold, as 30 is not enough to accomodate all the squad.

HARLEQUINS

(---) = denotes country of international selection
* = denotes if player plays for international team

Players are English unless stated

Props
C.Jones
A.Croall
C.Brooker
M.Lambert
J.Brooks

Hookers
T.Fuga (SAM)
G.Botha (RSA)*

Locks
N.Spanghero (FRA)
O.Kohn
J.Evans
J.Percival (NZL)

Flankers/Backrow
N.Easter*
P.Volley
C.Hala'ufia (TON)*
W.Skinner
T.Guest
M.Ross
P.Davies

Scrum-Half
S.So'oialo (SAM)*
A.Gomarsall*
D.Care

Fly-Half
C.Malone (AUS)
A.Jarvis

Wingers
D.Strettle*
U.Monye
T.Williams
J.Turner-Hall

Centres
D.Barry (RSA)*
S.Abbott

Fullback
M.Brown
C.Amesbury

BRISTOL

Props
A.Clarke
D.Hilton
W.Thompson
R.Hogan (IRE)
P.Bracken (IRE)

Hookers
M.Regan*
S.Linklater (NZL)
D.Blaney (IRE)

Locks
M.Sambucetti (ARG)
G.Llewellyn (WAL?)
S.Hohneck (NZL)

Flankers/Backrow
A.To'oala (SAM)*
D.Ward-Smith* (uncapped but likely to be capped very soon)
R.Winters
J.El-Abd
N.Budgett (WAL)
A.Blowers (NZL)

Scrum-Half
S.Perry*
H.Thomas
G.Beveridge (SCO)* not sure whether will be selected for RWC

Fly-Half
D.Hill (NZL)

Wingers
J.Taumalolo (TON)* left out of RWC squad
D.Lemi (SAM)*
N.Brew (NZL)
A.Elliott

Centres
W.Pozzebon (ITA)* Not sure if in Italy RWC
K.Maggs (IRE)
R.Higgit

Fullbacks
L.Arscott
C.Morgan (WAL)

Thanks for that info Fa'atau, it's a big help. While converting your roster there is one minor thing I noted and that is the balance of the squads. Some squads have no 2nd scrum half, while several others have an excess number of props.
So if you were deciding which players to leave out in the cold well here's the format I generally try to follow.

1-15 need not be explained they pick themselves

16 Hooker
17 Prop
18 SecondRower
19 BackRower
20 Scrumhalf
21 Flyhalf with utility value
22 Wing also with utility value

Now the extras:

23 Hooker
24 Prop
25 Second Rower
26 BackRower who may be able to play lock
27 another backrower also with utility value
28 scrumhalf
29 utility back
30 utility back

I understand you Ozzy, it is only a few teams where this has happened, like Gloucester and Bristol mainly, but for some teams.. like Wasps for example, they really only have two scrum halves, who are Eion Reddan for Ireland and Mark McMillan. I can add players later if they are signed, but in some cases, teams are short, and that is from the official real-life roster.

All you can do is add extra positions to players.

I would generally have 3 of every back to cover all positions, 4 props, 3 hookers, 4 locks, 5 flankers, 3 9's, 3 10's, 3 wingers, 3 centres and 2 fullbacks.

That makes 30, and some of the players.. for example with Harlequins, they have 2 top scrumhalves, and danny care as 3rd choice, i tend to have him as a scrum-half but play him as winger and centre to help with cover. This is a computer game, some imagination has to be used even though it may not be correct.

The players i left off for bristol are a mix of flankers and backs, one is FH and the other a winger i think.. but if i put them in, i have to drop the new signings. These new rosters have not had a run out yet, so come the new season, exactly who might cover who when they are short.. RWC time is a great example with Wasps, they will be putting players in who aren't getting 1st team minutes, but have to because the 1st teamers are away at RWC etc.

For the moment, with clubs anyway it's the players update i was trying to get. The rest will kind of sort itself later.

I suspected you were following the official lineups when I noticed the imbalance of props.
I myself get a little creative to cover the gaps in some teams backup. The only problem for me when dealing with NH players is that I know absolutely jack about them and even if you look them up they only list their official positions, you'd have to actually follow the games on telly to have any idea where players have played. Similar to this year's super 14 where they played Sivivatu at fullback, but on all the websites he's listed only as a winger. Meh.
I' m looking forward to giving your roster a test run when you release it. As far as translating your NH teams over to rugby 08, I have managed to complete the English and Irish clubs, I did 1 of the scottish clubs(Borders I think) plus have most of the international sides up to date and have managed to keep the entire roster of existing players intact. Yup there are actually that many duplicates in 08. That's pretty much the only good thing with 08s rosters :p
I'm also looking forward to decking the Manu out in their proper kit, when you manage to release it and giving them proper faces and skin colour when Woosah releases his updated roster editor.

sorry bout the wait buddy

yeh kelly brown, back row for Scotland and yeh does wear a scrum cap too.

The kit is finished pretty much, but i just need to put 2-22 on the kitbacks.

My kit is not perfect, but it looks ok in the game, and if anyone can improve it, then i'm sure there are better photoshoppers tha me out there like csrtt and edinburgh gunner for example.

My Tonga kit looks ok, but it is not corrected.. the arm graphics get enlarged (i so hate that) and it is murder trying to match a graphic on the arm to the arm on the kitback, But again it's ok as a beta and a huge improvement on EA's attempt.. again they just need that tweak that i haven't had time to figure out yet.

btw, the roster update is now 95% complete. Just waiting for the next few RWC squads (i have left out players who are injured, like dave strettle) and will probably make a specifically RWC roster and then revert them back after to include guys like Strettle, Spies etc.

If you have the dat.gob file from rugby 08, please email me so i can extract the kits and put them up for download into rugby 06. I can't do the Canterbury ones, it's out of my league.

Cheers murphy.

Just need some help for Scotlands RWC squad.

I have no idea who John Barclay (new cap), S.Macleod and G.Kerr are.. any ideas.. i know they are forwards that is all.

In the backs, i need to know who Rob Dewey (think he is a cntre for ulster?) and Nikki Walker are. Can you help?

Cheers murphy.

Just need some help for Scotlands RWC squad.

I have no idea who John Barclay (new cap), S.Macleod and G.Kerr are.. any ideas.. i know they are forwards that is all.

In the backs, i need to know who Rob Dewey (think he is a cntre for ulster?) and Nikki Walker are. Can you help?
[/b]

S.Macloed = Scarlets Second row
N.Walker= Strong ospreys winger
R.dewy is ulster centre
G.kerr is a prop who played for borders don't mark me 100% on that :lol2tn:

also M.Holah to ospreys if u were doing clubs

Scotland is now done. Just waiting on a couple of teams now for RWC.. can't think who at this particular moment though. All that have been announced, including Romania today is done.

Hi Guys whenever will be released I will post for you the 30 mans squad for the two Italians team of Rugby 08. Anyway is the new update for rugby 08 ready?
If yes where I can download it.. Anyway thank u for your hard job

Glasgow Squad:

Prop - Justin Va'a
Prop - Michael Collins
Prop - Kevin Tkachuk
Prop - Ed Kalman
Prop - Moray Low
Prop - Ben Prescott
Prop - Gavin Kerr
Hooker - Ross Ford
Hooker - Fergus Thomson
Hooker - Dougie Hall
Hooker - Eric Milligan
Lock - Opeta Palepoi
Lock - Dan Turner
Lock - Andy Newman
Lock - Alastair Kellock
Lock - James Eddie
Flanker - John Beattie
Flanker - Kelly Brown
Flanker - Richie Vernon
Flanker - Donnie Macfadyen
Flanker - Steve Swindall
Flanker - John Barclay
Scrum-half - Chris O'Young
Scrum-half - Sam Pinder
Stand-off - Dan Parks
Stand-off - Mike Adamson
Stand-off - Colin Gregor
Wing - Thom Evans
Wing - Lome Fa'atau
Wing - Max Evans
Centre - Andrew Henderson
Centre - Hefin O'Hare
Centre - Daryl Gibson
Centre - Scott Barrow
Centre - Graeme Morrison
Full-back - Colin Shaw
Full back - Sean Marsden

Cheers mate!

I wonder what Lome and Opeta will make of battered mars bars? lol

I bet they have never seen food like that before.

the 08 roster is more than one year old as Beauxis is not in the game ... are ppl from EA watching rugby ?????

we need to wait a woosaah's editor update as its not possible to modify the height or the faces of the players.
i'd like to add a star to Chabal and Ibanez in the french team but its impossible for the moment as i can't replace players who have one (i'd like to replace umaga and spencer's).
also hernandez deserves one ...

Cheers mate!

I wonder what Lome and Opeta will make of battered mars bars? lol

I bet they have never seen food like that before. [/b]

battered mars bars are all right - its the deep fried ones you need to watch out for! ;)

really looking forward to seeing this team play together though - Glasgow could be on the verge of good times if they can keep our new signings away from edinburgh!

Beauxis is not in the game QUOTE

He's in my roster patch though.. reckon i could get a job as an EA research monkey?

Patch should be released around the start of RWC. Got a few things on at the mo.