• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

PDivvy is back

psychic duck

International
Had a quieter couple of years, but he's back to stir things up again.

http://en.espn.co.uk/scrum/rugby/story/272113.html

Heyneke Meyer is taking South African rugby "into the gutters", his predecessor as Springboks coach, Peter de Villiers, has suggested in his latest hard-hitting column.

De Villiers, writing wrote amid conjecture that Meyer is about to be offered a new four-year contract, said "the shape South African rugby is in - with all the technical appointments that have been made over the past four years and the accompanying transformation policy … do the people in charge of our rugby have enough knowledge about the game to keep us ahead?".

"By allegedly offering Meyer a new four-year term, it appears the SA Rugby Union does not want to be a world leader," de Villiers wrote for The Times in South Africa. "It signed a contract with a man who has taken our rugby into the gutters."

South Africa claimed their first Test victory of the year, after four consecutive defeats since beating England at Twickenham last November, when they beat Argentina in Buenos Aires last weekend, when Patrick Lambie, replacing Handre Pollard to make his first international appearance of the campaign, was pivotal to the victory.

De Villiers, like most other rugby pundits praised the performance of Lambie, saying that he "read the game situation well, kept the scoreboard ticking over and instilled confidence in his teammates". But the former coach believes that Meyer "missed a trick by not including Elton Jantjies on the bench" as the Lions pivot "was the best South African fly-half through Super Rugby and his talent is being laid to waste".

"His ability to control the gain line is worth its weight in gold for the team, and his capacity to read the situation makes him a valuable asset," de Villiers wrote of Jantjies. "Elton also boasts the ability to generate considerable confusion in the minds of opposition defences. With the time he has at his disposal, he creates space for his runners, but one of his greatest assets is his work rate … "I would play Jantjies at flyhalf and shift Lambie to inside centre - that would prove a potent combination - but I don't know what is in Meyer's mind."

De Villiers' criticism comes just one week after he had written for The Times in South Africa, in the wake of the Springboks' defeat by the Pumas in Durban, that Meyer had "underestimated the intelligence of black people with a dishonest selection", saying the coach had taken South African rugby "back to the late 80s".

De Villiers wrote that Meyer had asserted that "Jesse Kriel was not only the best centre in South Africa, but the world … to justify the continued exclusion of Lionel Mapoe or Juan de Jongh in the midfield". And de Villiers wrote that Kriel's selection on the wing in Durban, at the expense of "a player of colour", to accommodate the inclusion of Jean de Villiers took South Africa "back to the late eighties, when blacks supported the opposing teams because of Apartheid".

And there it is, right at the end... Apartheid. Can this idiot just **** off please? As long as everything regarding rugby is about skincolor rather than skill level, there will never be a real pride across the country when the Boks win. It sucks! A white player can score 10 tries in 3 games and people will still argue about how he should be replaced by a black player.

Ugh!

I wish you guys could see the amount of idiocy spawning all of a sudden regarding the World Cup and players of race.

Heyneke Meyer isn't taking SA rugby into the gutters. PDivvy sent us there, and HM had to dig us out! Anyways, PDivvy's now just sour grapes because nobody wants to give him a proper coaching job, and at his last 3 jobs his contract was ended earlier due to bad performance.

And it leaves a real sour taste in my mouth that guys like PDivvy and Khaya Malotana are using the race card, and joining the political band-wagon. But if you listen to what the players and management say that works with HM, they tell a different story and that they trust and believe HM and his selections.

That seems to be the case, Heineken. I read that Trevor Nyakane came forward and said he thinks COSATU (that... Erenreich fellow) was telling flat out lies about current black Bokke approaching them as well and that's why they refuse to release names and not for the sake of anonimity.

That seems to be the case, Heineken. I read that Trevor Nyakane came forward and said he thinks COSATU (that... Erenreich fellow) was telling flat out lies about current black Bokke approaching them as well and that's why they refuse to release names and not for the sake of anonimity.

Not just Trevor. Based on what I saw on Boots And All the past few weeks, it was Trevor, Teboho Mohoje, Lwazi Mvovo and Siya Kolisi who all stood up against Cosatu.

Mohoje even went as far as saying that the day when that article was released, was the day that they had a team meeting, and he was one of the guys that stood up and told the whole group that it was a lie and that he doesn't understand why a player would say such things. I must say, that interview on B&A with Mohoje made me proud and I have a lot of respect for him after that.

PDivvy has always played the race card. That's why he was appointed as head coach in the first place.

Peter de Villiers is just the most mouthy idiot of all time, and always has been. The best thing would to be just not give him any coverage. This is his thing. He talks all the crap under the sun about everyone else.

PdV is pushing for the inclusion of Mapoe and Jantjies. While I wouldn't particularly mind either, stick those players in a Bok jersey and see how they go, particularly in tight games and in NH conditions. We've all seen how players that looked the business for the Lions at altitude go when at coastal regions playing a mre conservative style. Here I'm talking about Jantjies' disaster 2013 stint with the Stormers as well as a guys like Jaco Taute. There just isn't as much space or time and size starts to matter more and more; just look at Aplon, Lleyds, Kolbe and De Jongh and how the Stormers have paid in tighter knock out games in the past with those players jut not being able to compete in close quarters.

PDivvy was a Guest Speaker at an event where they burnt a Springbok Jersey in Protest:

http://www.sport24.co.za/Rugby/Springboks/Div-attends-burning-of-Bok-jersey-event-20150825

All that he's doing is he's alienating himself more in the Rugby Fraternity. He is busy to go past Luke Watson as the most hated person in SA Rugby.

Burning a Springbok jersey is not going to win you any votes, and to do nothing about it when attending as a guest shows disrespect to the Jersey and what it means for every player.

Burning the jersey of the team you coached, just goes to show the class of the man (lack thereof).

He calls Meyer a racist for not including enough black players. I am sorry, first off looking at the sport and players in terms of race and using labels, that's the racism at play here and secondly, PdV had 4 years at the helm and Meyer's matchday teams has consistently included more players of color than Divvy. So by his own skewed logic and actual sanity both he is the racist and one who held back this 'critical racial transformation of the sport from the top down'.

Let me just say here I have no problem with players of color in the teams I support. WP is fielding teams of about half non-white players. Those players are deserving of those spots in the run no WP/Stormers teams. Fantastic. But this quota system being forced upon SA rugby and has sunk many of our other national sports teams is nothing but institutionalised racism.

i Know SA has its racial problems but surely the best team selected must be irrespective of race or colour, i know that this is naive, but quotas of this or that surely is not good for the performance of a National team as good as SA. Maybe i am completely off the mark and naive, but SA continue to select non whites, maybe a minority, but selection of the best team available and not by quotas is the way to go.

Burning the jersey of the team you coached, just goes to show the class of the man (lack thereof).

He calls Meyer a racist for not including enough black players. I am sorry, first off looking at the sport and players in terms of race and using labels, that's the racism at play here and secondly, PdV had 4 years at the helm and Meyer's matchday teams has consistently included more players of color than Divvy. So by his own skewed logic and actual sanity both he is the racist and one who held back this 'critical racial transformation of the sport from the top down'.

Let me just say here I have no problem with players of color in the teams I support. WP is fielding teams of about half non-white players. Those players are deserving of those spots in the run no WP/Stormers teams. Fantastic. But this quota system being forced upon SA rugby and has sunk many of our other national sports teams is nothing but institutionalised racism.

I did a quick check.

When PDivvy was coach, he gave 10 players of colour a call-up to the Bok Squad, who wasn't part of the team before, in other words uncapped players. HM has up to now called up 7 players during his tenure, of which only Scarra Ntubeni hasn't yet got a cap. Out of the 10 that PDV called up, HM has used 6 of them, and then HM has also used some of the players before PDivvy's tenure....

PDivvy should just go and jump off a cliff

I don't like to use the amounts of caps as a measuring stick. IMO the question is how many is seen as legitimate options for the 23 to take out the outliers that never really featured ala Earl Rose.

A quick exercise says its about equal. The problem for me is, what has Meyer got to do with it when the player pool isn't there to pick from the second tier when the players isn't there to pick from the tier below when the players aren't there from the schools.

Its getting there albeit slowly but surely though. And lets be honest here. This is a RWC year. Meyer will ny pick so many newbies. And its not just black players getting the snub its such class as Faf de Klerk and Jaco Kriel as well. This generation of players will then move on and there are many young options coming through ad I'm sure a number of them will get their chances; Gelant, Ntubeni, Kolisi, Carr, Senatla etc.

I don't like to use the amounts of caps as a measuring stick. IMO the question is how many is seen as legitimate options for the 23 to take out the outliers that never really featured ala Earl Rose.

A quick exercise says its about equal. The problem for me is, what has Meyer got to do with it when the player pool isn't there to pick from the second tier when the players isn't there to pick from the tier below when the players aren't there from the schools.

Its getting there albeit slowly but surely though. And lets be honest here. This is a RWC year. Meyer will ny pick so many newbies. And its not just black players getting the snub its such class as Faf de Klerk and Jaco Kriel as well. This generation of players will then move on and there are many young options coming through ad I'm sure a number of them will get their chances; Gelant, Ntubeni, Kolisi, Carr, Senatla etc.

Yeah I agree with you. It was purely a statistical viewpoint I was getting at.

Plus When PDV was coach, there was definitely a sign that he was picking quota players ahead of other more deserving players, which is not the case with HM. HM has been consistent in rewarding players for good performances and he has said on many occasions he doesn't look at colour when he picks his team.

The other thing is, what is PDV and his chronies trying to accomplish? if they are going to continue with their ANC tirade, then World Rugby will be able to put sanctions in place against us. and then we're right back to the Apartheid era where we could only play with ourselves...

If it's up to me, this is the team I'd select (31 players)...

5 Props: J. du Plessis, Mtawarira, Koch, Nyakane, van der Merwe

3 Hookers: B. du Plessis, Strauss, Brits

4 Locks: Etzebeth, du Toit*, de Jager, Matfield

6 Loosies: Brussow, Coetzee, Alberts*, Vermeulen, Burger, Louw

3 Scrum-halves: du Preez, Reinach, Pienaar*

3 Fly halves: Steyn, Lambie*, Jantjies

3 Centers: De Allende, Kriel*, de Villiers

3 Wingers: Habana, Pietersen*, Hendricks

1 Full back: Le Roux*

I don't give a flying **** about how many black players are on the team. I pick the best team in my opinion. Mtawarira, Nyakane, Jantjies, De Allende, Habana, Pietersen and Hendricks are there because I feel they should be because of their level of play.

Players with a * can play multiple positions.

The poor UWC players. Its an intitute that could produce quality players for SA but those poor players have to be content with 2nd grade coaching because of politically motivated coaching appointments on a constant basis.

The poor UWC players. Its an intitute that could produce quality players for SA but those poor players have to be content with 2nd grade coaching because of politically motivated coaching appointments on a constant basis.

yeah, it's a bit sickening what's going on in the cape at the moment. My cousin is studying at Maties, and he says that race and political interference is now a daily thing.

yeah, it's a bit sickening what's going on in the cape at the moment. My cousin is studying at Maties, and he says that race and political interference is now a daily thing.

Yes, you have students boycotting classes demanding that not a single word of Afrikaans has to be spoken.

I just don't get it. Stellenbosch is an Afrikaans town and has always been an Afrikaans majority uni. All people in SA bar the Afrikaans speaker seemingly has a right to education in their home language. Its even worse at Elsenburg agriculture college in this side of the country. The funny thing for me is at UCT which has always been very 'liberal' and has been against Stellenbosch's 'Afrikaner conservatism' they are now paying the price with students demanding the removal of 'colonial symbolism' which is boils down to the whole upper campus. Why don't these people just build their own structures, identity and 'symbols'. Talk about colonialism (IE, usurping). The irony!

In rugby this is not a new thing though. The whole of the Boland rugby is nothingbut a political play-thing. Even mre so than the WPRU. I'd have been supporting the boland if it weren't for its maladministration and racially motivated backroom politics (where its black vs colored ATM). Half the current Bok team comes from the Boland catchment area thanks to three of the 'big rugby schools' being here! If Boland could've managed to 'keep its own':

1 Steven Kitshoff
2 Schalk Brits
3 Frans Malherbe
4 Juandre Kruger
5 Andries Bekker
6 Schalk Burger
7 Francois Louw
8 Bernard le Roux
9 Francois Hougaard
10 Handre Pollard
11 Cornal Hendricks
12 Jean de Villiers
13 Juan de Jongh
14 JP Petersen
15 Willie le Roux

I could of course mention a whole lot more: Morne Steyn, WP Nel, Josh Strauss, SP Marais..

Last edited:
Yes, you have students boycotting classes demanding that not a single word of Afrikaans has to be spoken.

I just don't get it. Stellenbosch is an Afrikaans town and has always been an Afrikaans majority uni. All people in SA bar the Afrikaans speaker seemingly has a right to education in their home language. Its even worse at Elsenburg agriculture college in this side of the country. The funny thing for me is at UCT which has always been very 'liberal' and has been against Stellenbosch's 'Afrikaner conservatism' they are now paying the price with students demanding the removal of 'colonial symbolism' which is boils down to the whole upper campus. Why don't these people just build their own structures, identity and 'symbols'. Talk about colonialism (IE, usurping). The irony!

In rugby this is not a new thing though. The whole of the Boland rugby is nothingbut a political play-thing. Even mre so than the WPRU. I'd have been supporting the boland if it weren't for its maladministration and racially motivated backroom politics (where its black vs colored ATM). Half the current Bok team comes from the Boland catchment area thanks to three of the 'big rugby schools' being here! If Boland could've managed to 'keep its own':

1 Steven Kitshoff
2 Schalk Brits
3 Frans Malherbe
4 Juandre Kruger
5 Andries Bekker
6 Schalk Burger
7 Francois Louw
8 Bernard le Roux
9 Francois Hougaard
10 Handre Pollard
11 Cornal Hendricks
12 Jean de Villiers
13 Juan de Jongh
14 JP Petersen
15 Willie le Roux

I could of course mention a whole lot more: Morne Steyn, WP Nel, Josh Strauss, SP Marais..

My cousin is second year with B.Com Accounting, and what's worse for him was that his class burned down a few months ago. The disruptions are taking a toll on those who are there for the right reasons and who doesn't have a political agenda. His course is of course one of the few which are taught in Afrikaans, and not just at Stellenbosch, but at all the big Uni's.

He stays in our church's commune and is very close to the sport fields. And the things happening there is making him rather frustrated. Boland, which feeds WP is an area which produce a lot of great players. And if the political interference and PDV's nonsense continues, it could disadvantage those schools, Universities and even the Rugby Union.

But we all know that it's just another attempt by the ANC to overthrow the DA in the Western Cape...

Latest posts