• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Proposed changes to the Rugby Championship (I really hope this is a hoax)

mdaclarke

Bench Player
Country Flag
Wales
Club or Nation
Wales
because its an insane format.

I personally like the RC as it is with 6 games each team playing each over home and away.
I can even understand (whilst I don't agree with it) going to 3 games each team playing each over once.

But to play one team once (either home or away) and the other team twice (both home and away) is insane. You end up with a lopsided competition.

https://www.sarugbymag.co.za/rugby-championship-revamp-springboks/

EDIT:
Surely even SANZAAR aren't this stupid.

Only thing I can think of is that a behind the scenes deal has been done with CVC to create a world league with each team playing each other once.

Last edited:
Surely even SANZAAR aren't this stupid.
This would be beyond stupid.

"Hey, the thing where we made Super Rugby teams not play all teams an equal number of times in a season, that didn't work out so well in terms of fan interest... But hey, let's do that to the Rugby Championship!"

SANZAAR have never been too bright with regards to changing things for the better. And the SANZAAR name is so stupid. That should be changed.

https://www.sarugbymag.co.za/rugby-championship-revamp-springboks/

"For example, in 2021 the Springboks could start the Rugby Championship with home-and-away fixtures against Argentina, before playing New Zealand away twice and then hosting the Wallabies.

This would then reverse in 2022, with the Springboks instead hosting the All Blacks and then travelling to Australia to play twice against the Wallabies.

The changes come in order to give fixtures a greater sense of occasion for fans, who will now only be able to see the All Blacks or Wallabies in South Africa once every two years.

There is also the motivation of giving travelling teams the sense of a historical tour. The possibility is unlikely, but the All Blacks and Wallabies may travel to South Africa with extended squads to play mid-week games.

With each team now only playing four games per season, the Rugby Championship may also become more competitive, with each win or loss becoming more vital to the overall standings."

The article states that there would be 4 games but it implies there would be 6 games as follows:-

Year 1. South Africa would play Argentina Home and Away, Australia Home twice, New Zealand Away twice
Year 2. South Africa would play Argentina Home and Away, Australia Away twice, New Zealand Home twice

if the proposal is as above with 6 games played then it may not be quite so insane

I think the tournament really suffered when the Boks had a slump. Now they are strong again I think interest will pick up.

madness

if the travel is such a burden then just go back playing the other teams once either home or away and do the opposite the next year...the players moan about too many games anyway and if theyre up for more games then they can play can bloody well play a whole super rugby season or god forbid some mitre10 cup!

I actually like the idea of returning to the format of having tours.

Now I get that many won't agree with me, as it brings in the contention of putting an asterisk behind victories, in that saying the AB's won the RC when they hosted the Springboks, or vice versa.

I like the idea, but I do think it's flawed, and I think they need to iron out a few things before doing such a change.

I actually like the idea of returning to the format of having tours.

Now I get that many won't agree with me, as it brings in the contention of putting an asterisk behind victories, in that saying the AB's won the RC when they hosted the Springboks, or vice versa.

I like the idea, but I do think it's flawed, and I think they need to iron out a few things before doing such a change.

Do you know if they are proposing a 4 game tournament (Boks playing Argentina Home and Away, and New Zealand and Australia once)
or a 6 games tournament (Boks playing Argentina Home and Away, then New Zealand twice at home and Australia twice away)

The articles aren't 100% clear to me.

Do you know if they are proposing a 4 game tournament (Boks playing Argentina Home and Away, and New Zealand and Australia once)
or a 6 games tournament (Boks playing Argentina Home and Away, then New Zealand twice at home and Australia twice away)

The articles aren't 100% clear to me.

6 Games.

Australia 2 at home or away
New Zealand 2 at home or away
Argentina 2, 1 at home, 1 away.

The idea is to limit the travelling, not the matches

6 Games.

Australia 2 at home or away
New Zealand 2 at home or away
Argentina 2, 1 at home, 1 away.

The idea is to limit the travelling, not the matches

Sounds like an interesting idea. I did wonder when they were talking about larger squads, why would you take a larger squad just for one game!

Have only just seen this proposal and I don't like it. The competition will end up skewed in favour of certain teams in certain years. I think the home and away format is better. The order of fixtures in the rugby championship should be changed each year.

Have only just seen this proposal and I don't like it. The competition will end up skewed in favour of certain teams in certain years. I think the home and away format is better. The order of fixtures in the rugby championship should be changed each year.

Well due to geography, the tournament will always have a bit of a skewed-ness attached to it. Jetlag, travelling, weather and some other factors will always favour the home team more than the opposition, that's why winning away from home in this tournament is such a big deal, and it usually determines the winner of the tournament.

I don't think the new plan they have will change the tournament that much.

Well due to geography, the tournament will always have a bit of a skewed-ness attached to it. Jetlag, travelling, weather and some other factors will always favour the home team more than the opposition, that's why winning away from home in this tournament is such a big deal, and it usually determines the winner of the tournament.

I agree. :cool:

Latest posts