Otago v Northland

Kiwiwomble

International
TRF Legend
Country Flag
New Zealand
Club or Nation
Otago
A question about northlands try, did their bloke have any rights to play the ball? He was laying on the ground round the side if the ruck and just stuck his paw out, surely he was either offside of off his feet

Copy & Paste

Anyways, in the Northland vs. Otago game on now, the try by the Northland no 6 has got to be the easiest try in rugby history.
Literally, all he did was apply pressure to the ball over the line, after it was stolen by an Otago player and placed on his line, whether or not he (the defending player) applied pressure or not I could not tell.

I have a few questions that I was hoping somone might be able to answer:

1. Why wasn't the Northland player penalised for playing the ball off of his feet?

2. When two players from the opposing teams apply pressure on the ball at the same time, what is the verdict? Try or 5-metre scrum/ 22 drop-out?

even if you re off your feet in a ruck?, still didn't think you could play the ball

even if you re off your feet in a ruck?, still didn't think you could play the ball

The ball was out so it wasnt a ruck. But Yeah if its in the ingoal then what he did was perfectley legal. He isnt allowed to pick the ball up and force it, but he can just force it down, its leagal.