• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Otago 2012 ITM Cup Squad

Popoali'i could possibly play 10, but I don't think we will see him there as I don't think he has any ability to control the game - all he wants to do when he gets the ball is attack! Otago do use him a lot coming off his wing at first receiver (similar to how Wales used to use Shane Williams), and he was very effective in that role in this match. Indeed probably the only time Otago really looked threatening in the backline was when he did this.

Thanks darwin, a good read

I think playing Buxton at 10 would blunt out outside backs and only possibly Improve 10...

Next traing is full tackle backs v forwards bull rush...that will teach them defence REAL quick!

That might help a bit ;) Part of the problem seemed to the defensive system though - nobody seemed to know who was meant to be tackling who, meaning the Tasman players often strolled through without being touched (in one case it was a massive lock that went through untouched!). When Cripps came on at 10 for Tasman in the second half he must have broken the line 2-3 times himself (directly from scrums) without a hand being laid on him....

Last edited:
Just been to Otago's pre-season match versus Tasman. Based on that performance it could be a very long season for Otago :(

I'm not 100% sure what the final score was, as for some reason the scoreboard was turned off at halftime (perhaps in embarrassment?), but I think the final score was something along the lines of 42-22 to Tasman.

The performance of our Japanese internationals Tanaka and Horie was one of the few bright points in our performance. Tanaka started at 9 and was subbed off at half-time, but he gave a very impressive 40 minutes. His passing game is superb, with long flat passes out in front of the players meaning the Otago backline was able to hit the line at pace. He looked dangerous when he ran too, and despite his lack of size looked very solid on defense. He will certainly be the starting halfback this season, and if he can keep up that sort of form could well be backing up Aaron Smith at the Highlanders next season! Horie only came on at hooker for the last 30 minutes, but he was everywhere. He always seemed to shrug of the first tackler, and his handling was great too - he played a big part in Otago's run-away try in the second half. Loosies Paul Grant and TJ Ioane were the other two standouts for Otago. Grant looks like he is finally starting to fulfill his potential, and made a couple of great cover tackles, while Ioane was a beast (as always) with ball in hand - I lost count of the number of tackles he broke.

Unfortunately there were far more negatives than positives for Otago. The scrum was poor (though it wasn't the first choice front row), and the lineout a bit messy. The support play in the forwards was shocking at times - often a forward would take it, get tackled, and not one forward would be there to support the tackled player.....

Backline defense looks like a major concern too - Tasman must have broken through the midfield defense at least 5 or 6 times. Parker was a major culprit on several occasion, but Dickson missed quite a few tackles too. Not only was the defense poor, but they lacked any creativity in attack - Parker stands too deep and doesn't challenge the line, while Dickson does everything in slow motion. I do wonder whether they will start Pete Breen in the 10 jersey at the start of the season, as he may give them the spark they need. Breen certainly wasn't perfect when he came on - he took on the line well, but tried a couple of passes that weren't on, however he looked threatening with ball in hand, and he certainly was solid defensively. Out wide Popoali'i looked dangerous (as usual), but both Faddes and Ensor had very mixed games - both had some good moments with ball in hand (Ensor scored a great individual try), but decision making and defense is an area of concern for these two players.

Hello Darwin TRF! You confirm what I thought, that the Japanese will make a big season ITM Cup. Strongly to the championship! Tanaka is the highest level. In any case in Japan, scrumhalf is a position where we have very good players (Tanaka, Hiwasa, Fujii) without forgetting the young Yutaka Nagare (19 years, Teikyo University) I was excellent with the Japanese during the last U20 IRB World Rugby Trophy 2012 in Salt Lake City. As for Horie, it should leave a very big season, especially as he is ambitious to play in Super Rugby next year with the Highlanders. The absence of these two players will be bad for the championship of the Top League Panasonic Wild Knights (not to mention Sonny Bill Williams, who should play the 4nations with New Zealand). Meanwhile the famous Japanese frankness which will land in Super Rugby in 2016, we should see the Japanese Super Rugby play also. Already, Atsushi Hiwasa (scrumhalf Suntory Sungoliath) seems in touch with the franchise advanced to the Western Force.

Hello Darwin TRF! You confirm what I thought, that the Japanese will make a big season ITM Cup. Strongly to the championship! Tanaka is the highest level. In any case in Japan, scrumhalf is a position where we have very good players (Tanaka, Hiwasa, Fujii) without forgetting the young Yutaka Nagare (19 years, Teikyo University) I was excellent with the Japanese during the last U20 IRB World Rugby Trophy 2012 in Salt Lake City. As for Horie, it should leave a very big season, especially as he is ambitious to play in Super Rugby next year with the Highlanders. The absence of these two players will be bad for the championship of the Top League Panasonic Wild Knights (not to mention Sonny Bill Williams, who should play the 4nations with New Zealand). Meanwhile the famous Japanese frankness which will land in Super Rugby in 2016, we should see the Japanese Super Rugby play also. Already, Atsushi Hiwasa (scrumhalf Suntory Sungoliath) seems in touch with the franchise advanced to the Western Force.

He will have to do something pretty special, how old is he? Rutledge had another good season, certainly good enough to get another contract, so the fact he isin't says JJ is looking for youth and you would think a young otago or soutland rake

He will have to do something pretty special, how old is he? Rutledge had another good season, certainly good enough to get another contract, so the fact he isin't says JJ is looking for youth and you would think a young otago or soutland rake

Horie is 26. Certainly not old, but he would need an outstanding season to push for Super Rugby selection given the Highlanders already have two hookers signed (Mitchell and Hore), and have plenty of other options if they do decide on three hookers (the likes of Coltman and Rutledge). Horie's form could be bad news for Coltman, who may struggle to start for Otago. Probably the only areas that Coltman has it over Horie at the moment is in the scrum, as by all accounts Coltman is the best scrummaging hooker in the country. Horie to me looks like a Kevin Mealamu when he was younger - not a very big hooker, but low to the ground, and tacklers just seem to bounce of him!

It is great to have some Japanese players in the ITM Cup, especially quality ones like Horie and Tanaka. I've always been impressed with Japanese halfbacks, as they seem have worked out that their primary role is to deliver quick ball to the backline - I wish our New Zealand halfbacks would start doing the same!

Horie is 26. Certainly not old, but he would need an outstanding season to push for Super Rugby selection given the Highlanders already have two hookers signed (Mitchell and Hore), and have plenty of other options if they do decide on three hookers (the likes of Coltman and Rutledge). Horie's form could be bad news for Coltman, who may struggle to start for Otago. Probably the only areas that Coltman has it over Horie at the moment is in the scrum, as by all accounts Coltman is the best scrummaging hooker in the country. Horie to me looks like a Kevin Mealamu when he was younger - not a very big hooker, but low to the ground, and tacklers just seem to bounce of him!

QUOTE]

if you were to try and play both could we start with coltman to try and soften up their scrum and then bring Horie on to do more damage with ball in hand etc?

if you were to try and play both could we start with coltman to try and soften up their scrum and then bring Horie on to do more damage with ball in hand etc?

Yep, that is probably the way I would go too. If Horie is on the bench they should look to give him a good 30 mins though, as he could be just what Otago needs to create some good go-forward ball (along with Ioane).

and coltman should be able to go alot harder than normal if he knows the game plan, agreed....do you want to tell tony or should i?

and coltman should be able to go alot harder than normal if he knows the game plan, agreed....do you want to tell tony or should i?

I will mention it to him next time I walk past their training ;) You and I would make fantastic Otago coaches Jabby - the teams we have selected have never lost any matches!

you see liam edwards won the ODT club player of the year poll? i hope tony hasn't missed a trich here, would hate to see him head elseware looking for gametime and shine......

got myself a sharks jersey last week, speaking of Liam Edwards, stoked

you see liam edwards won the ODT club player of the year poll? i hope tony hasn't missed a trich here, would hate to see him head elseware looking for gametime and shine......

got myself a sharks jersey last week, speaking of Liam Edwards, stoked

Edwards must still be a wee way down the pecking order in the Otago coaches eyes, as I see they have officially added Tony Ensor to the squad now (and he did look good at times in the warm up match), but I still haven't heard them mention Edwards name....

Otago v Southland
Balclutha, tomorrow, 2.30pm
Otago: Tony Ensor, Matt Faddes, Jayden Spence, Michael Collins, Buxton Popoali'i, Hayden Parker, Fumiaki Tanaka, Paul Grant (captain), Gareth Evans, TJ Ioane, Rob Verbakel, Justin Ives, Tama Tuirirangi, Shota Horie, Scott Manson. Reserves: Liam Coltman, Aki Seiuli, Tom Franklin, Lee Allan, Brad Weber, Peter Breen, Glenn Dickson.

Southland: Mark Wells, Junior Ngaluafe, Nathan Hohaia or Matt Saunders, Cardiff Vaega, Tim Cornforth, Marty McKenzie, Nemia Kenatale, Hoani Macdonald, John Hardie, Tim Boys, Josh Bekhuis, Alex Ryan, Jamie Mackintosh (captain), Brayden Mitchell, Micheal Peterson. Reserves: Jason Rutledge, Nic Barrett, Ben Nally, Campbell Smith, Jimmy Cowan, Saunders or Matt Gandy, Kade Poki.

...there are some game changing names in the Southland team (poki, hardie, rutledge etc).....that is all

Looks pretty close to the full strength Otago side. It will be interesting to see how Evans goes at 7, as I wouldn't be surprised to see him get quite a few start there this season.

Looks pretty close to the full strength Otago side. It will be interesting to see how Evans goes at 7, as I wouldn't be surprised to see him get quite a few start there this season.

over TJ?

I haven't even heard of 75% of Otago's players...

This is of course due to the financial troubles earlier in the year we have been able to hold onto most of our players and had to go right back to club rugby, our third choice halfback is still in school...altought the OBHS first XV would prob do alright in the itm cup ;)

Who have they lost from last season?

Off the top of my head..... Eben Joubert (injured), Tony Brown, Kees Meeuws (both retired and now coaching), Halani Aulika, Jason MacDonald, Tom Donnelly, Daniel Ramsey, Regan Tamihere, Johnny Legg, Sean Romans, Tony Fenner (though he was injured all season - now with Auckland), Ben Atiga + a pile of other journeymen who I can't remember right now!

Latest posts