16. Shota Horie
17. Liam Coltman
18. Tom Franklin
19. Gareth Evans
20. Brad Weber
21. Peter Breen
22. Matt Faddes

good to see Collins get a start

Yep, good to see Collins get a chance. Not a bad looking side - my only complaint in the forward pack would be that Ioane is starting, as he has been a complete liability for us this season. He knocks on the ball 2-3 times a game, and stifles any backline attack by spending the game standing at first-receiver and just hitting it up even when we have space out wide. I feel Ensor is a bit lucky to still be in the team after having a bit of a shocker against Hawke's Bay - I would have quite liked to see Breen get a start at fullback as he has looked very comfortable whenever he has come onto the field thus far (and I still think he is a better 15 than a 10).

This is a big game for us - it is a game we really need to win, as we are certainly going to be up against it in our final two games of the regular season (Wellington and Auckland..).

Taranaki v Waikato shield game!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1

If Waikato can pull their fingers out and get themselves up for one big match of the season, this is it. (Well, two, including our next home match against HB, should we win this one...).

Manawatu side (to get beaten by Otago):
Lewis Marshall, Craig Clare, Jason Emery, Matenga Baker, Nehe Milner-Skudder, Nathan George, Papa Wharewera, Hamish Gosling or Antonio Kiri Kiri, Callum Gibbins, Nick Crosswell (captain), Michael Fitzgerald, Reece Robinson, Ma'afu Fia, Rob Foreman, Grant Polson.
Reserves: Bryn Templeman, Eric Fry, Fraser Stone, Antonio Kiri Kiri or Mua Sala, Karl Bryson, Shaun Curry, Willie Paia'aua.

A very solid looking forward pack, but not the most impressive backline, especially now that Cama is also out injured. If Otago go back to the expansive rugby that has been so successful for them this season (as long as the conditions are ok) I am quietly confident we could pull off the win.

Onto the Shield Challenge. Both sides have been named:

Waikato:

Trent Renata, Declan O'Donnell, Save Tokula, Jackson Willison, Tim Mikkelson, Sam Christie, Tawera Kerr-Barlow, Alex Bradley (c), Zak Hohneck, Matt Vant Leven, Sam Kilgour, Romana Graham, Ben May, Marcel Cummings-Toone, Toby Smith.
Reserves: Vance Elliott, Latu Talakai/ Ted Tauroa, Anthony Wise, Rory Grice, Brendon Leonard, Piers Francis, Joe Webber

Taranaki:
Kurt Baker, Andre Taylor, Willie Rickards, Jayden Hayward, Frazier Climo, James Marshall, Jamison Gibson-Park, Kane Barrett or Blade Thomson, Chris Walker, Jarrad Hoeata, Jason Eaton, Craig Clarke (captain), Michael Bent, Laurence Corlett, Chris King.
Reserves: Timo Tutavaha, Carl Carmichael, James Broadhurst, Barrett or Thomson, Berny Hall, Brett Goodin, Jack Cameron

Taranaki obviously enter the match as firm favourites given the way Waikato have played this season (and their own strong form). Waikato certainly have the personal to pull off the upset, but just haven't looked cohesive at all this season.

cant see waikato doing it but Barlow is so red-hot or cold you never know. I think he's cost waikato games this season but he's just as likely to have a blinder and have some of his plays create magic.

The pack looks stronger with Toby Smith, Matt Vant Leven and Romana back but Sam Christie has been really unimpressive IMO. I think for a big game like this they should put Renata at 10 and Mikkelson at 15, Webber on the wing.

They are just off the pace in general, they are a shade of the team they were with Beaver, Hunga and Mega in the ranks. Also a real shame we've not see Holah this year. He was an absolute giant at the breakdown, seemed like when ever he got over the ball at a ruck he was impossible to move.

Oh FFS, get TJ Ioane off the field!

(of course as I say that he scores a try!)

Last edited:
Big game from Otago by the looks of it... They really are a revelation this season. Just shows that home grown talent (and coaches!) is the way to go.

Oh FFS, get TJ Ioane off the field!

(of course as I say that he scores a try!)

Looks like he score twice. I didn't catch the match, but I am guessing he wasn't too spectacular, tries aside.
Two for Ensore as well, by the looks of it.

Big game from Otago by the looks of it... They really are a revelation this season. Just shows that home grown talent (and coaches!) is the way to go.

Yep a good win by Otago. Our defense is still very poor, but when you are scoring 40-50 points you can afford to concede a few tries! It is great to have the home grown players, and we are actually playing some expansive for the first time in almost 15 years, which certainly helps bringing the crowds along to the home games!

Looks like he score twice. I didn't catch the match, but I am guessing he wasn't too spectacular, tries aside.
Two for Ensore as well, by the looks of it.

Yep despite scoring 2 tries Ioane was shocking. Absolutely shocking. I think I posted that comment after he had lost the ball for the 3rd time in a 5 minute period, and his handling didn't get any better! He just doesn't have any basic ball skills - he looses the ball in contact frequently (often as he has the ball in one hand), knocks it on when trying to pick it up from the ground, doesn't pass the ball (or when he does throws it as hard as he can at the supporting players head). In addition he was penalised 3-4 times during the game too for silly offenses at the breakdown. He is very powerful with ball in hand (and the commentators seem to rave on about him whenever he touches the ball), but that doesn't make up for turning the ball over (literally) 5 times a game!

Ensor in contrast was superb. He had a shocker last week, but this week he was the best player on the park by a long way in my opinion. He has some serious pace, and his second try was probably the best individual try of the season, with him running from deep inside his own half and beating 3-4 players on the way to tryline. I will attach a link of that try when I can find the video!

ensor is the new ben smith.....

i just hope tony can pick the real performers for the team (tanaka, ensor, parker, evans et al) and add some muscle to them next year, concentrate on the best defenders in the club comp next year

do you now ensors background darwin?

puts things in perspective if Liam Edwards was too poor a defender to make this team...

you know if Tanaka and Horie are back next year Darwin? do we think seeing this was a big old gamble most of the team would only have one year contracts?

I can't stand players like that. We have Turnbull. He cocks up constantly, puts in one tackle and then gets tipped for Wales.

Ensor looks like a great prospect. JJ needs to ensure he becomes a Highlander.
The Blues fans on FB all want Ben Smith, so it could be handy to have a few back three players around.

I am so pleased for Otago this season. It was probably a very stressful off-season and build up for the fans, but Otago have looked great. Not perfect, as we have said, but certainly some young talent.

it could all end in the next game and i would still consider it a huge success :)

ensor is the new ben smith.....

i just hope tony can pick the real performers for the team (tanaka, ensor, parker, evans et al) and add some muscle to them next year, concentrate on the best defenders in the club comp next year

do you now ensors background darwin?

puts things in perspective if Liam Edwards was too poor a defender to make this team...

you know if Tanaka and Horie are back next year Darwin? do we think seeing this was a big old gamble most of the team would only have one year contracts?

I think he is more of an Israel Dagg... either way he is certainly a keeper! Canterbury wing Johnny McNicholl is the new Ben Smith, but that is another story :) Here is a link to Ensor's try too for anyone who is interested (http://tvnz.co.nz/rugby-news/otago-blow-away-turbos-5112556.

I'm not very familiar with Ensor's background at all. He is apparently a Balclutha boy (like both the coach and captain), and he wasn't even originally in the Otago squad at the start of the season - he was only added later after some standout performances filling in during the pre-season. He looks in line for a Highlanders wider training squad contract at the very least (which should allow him to put a bit of muscle on which he will need for the next level).

As I understand it both Tanaka and Horie are only on one year contracts, but I'm sure Otago will be keen to get them both back next season! As a slight aside, I have been very impressed with Anderson-Heather this year - I thought he was clearly the 3rd choice hooker going into the season, but he has more than justified his starting position in most game this year.

I can't stand players like that. We have Turnbull. He cocks up constantly, puts in one tackle and then gets tipped for Wales.

Ensor looks like a great prospect. JJ needs to ensure he becomes a Highlander.
The Blues fans on FB all want Ben Smith, so it could be handy to have a few back three players around.

I am so pleased for Otago this season. It was probably a very stressful off-season and build up for the fans, but Otago have looked great. Not perfect, as we have said, but certainly some young talent.

You can have TJ Ioane too if you want. For free. In fact we will pay you to take him away!

Luckily Ben Smith isn't going anywhere. He signed a 3 year contract with the NZRFU last season, and I can't see him playing for any teams other than Otago and the Highlanders.

You can have TJ Ioane too if you want. For free. In fact we will pay you to take him away!

Luckily Ben Smith isn't going anywhere. He signed a 3 year contract with the NZRFU last season, and I can't see him playing for any teams other than Otago and the Highlanders.

Thanks! How about we trade Scott Andrews for Owen Franks, to balance things out?

...so not as good as Ben smith then

I was thinking more in style of play than playing ability - Ensor is brilliant one minute, then makes basic errors the next (where-as Ben Smith has never made an error in his entire career... at least in my eyes...). So 'not as good as Ben Smith then' probably sums it up pretty well!

Thanks! How about we trade Scott Andrews for Owen Franks, to balance things out?

No thanks. You can have Jamie Mackintosh if you like though. He is really big - he must be a good rugby player ;)

Last edited:
Can he play wing?

He does spend some time standing on the wing, so I will say yes. He is probably equally as effective running on the wing as he is propping a scrum ;)

Last edited:

Latest posts