• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Rupeni Caucaunibuca joins Northland

Well, he only managed three or so games in Northland...

Yeah wonder what happened with that. I guess he can either keep playing for Northland, go to Japan or a club in Fiji.

He really had lost a lot of weight when he was at Northland this year, I hope he keeps that up.

Yeah wonder what happened with that. I guess he can either keep playing for Northland, go to Japan or a club in Fiji.

He really had lost a lot of weight when he was at Northland this year, I hope he keeps that up.

I heard he's now signed with a D2 French club.

I heard he's now signed with a D2 French club.

i see he signed with his former club agen which is 2nd in Pro D2. but i'm not sure it's really done, maybe just rumors
i like to see him come back with a decent level, so maybe we will see him at the next wold cup, a long way to go, i know, but why not...

Last edited:
He was here in singapore a month ago playing in the 7's with a team called AP Dragons based out of Hong Kong, not sure if that is a long term thing or if this team just gets together every so often, they were miles ahead of every other team though and won the final by 30 points knocking out all the other favorites on the way.

Apparently he wants to come back to fijian national team in 2014, but they are a lot of players in his position for fiji...but if Bai still plays an important role in fijian squad why not him?

Fiji could really do without him. As you say they have a wealth of talent in his position, and none of Goneva, Nalaga, Nagusa, Tikoirotuma, Nadolo, Matawalu, Talebula and Nayacalevu are to my knowledge as unfit, unreliable and frustrating for the coaches.

but it still would be a dangerous Fijian side with him at center and nalaga and nadolo at winger and nagusa at fullback

Looked really dangerous this year tho

Last edited by a moderator:
Looked really dangerous this year tho

Not really. He scored those two tries - and that was it. From memory he was either injured this game or the following (so about 4 games into the season). The rest of this year he was either injured or not selected.

Not really. He scored those two tires - and that was it. From memory he was either injured this game or the following (so about 4 games into the season). The rest of this year he was either injured or not selected.
Well thats me told lol I was going by the video anyway... I knew I should never have trusted the internet :(

Not really. He scored those two tries - and that was it. From memory he was either injured this game or the following (so about 4 games into the season). The rest of this year he was either injured or not selected.
but he also made up alot off assists aswell and remember he is 33

but he also made up alot off assists aswell and remember he is 33

Well...pretty much everything in that video is what he did this season (so I think two try assists in total). I'm a big Caucaunibuca fan - but anyone who watched the ITM Cup would say it was disappointing how little he played, and he didn't show enough to demonstrate why he should play for Fiji. Had he been fit and selected for more, then its possible he would have got more form.

I have to wonder what goes through Rupeni's head.
A potentially glittering international career perpetually stalled by abject indolence.
Criminal.

Rupeni's career will always have me talking about that try vs France in the 2003 RWC and end it'll in a big sigh and the words "if only he had the right support around him."

I was impressed by this try :

Completely forgot about Caucau. Just watched a YouTube reel...him and Dougie Howlett were a pretty awesome combination on the wings.

Such a waste of huge talent.

I think he had too many injuries to his knee which cost him his speed, something definitely happened cause he doesn't have the speed he once had and I don't think its the weight or age. That could also affect his training cause I remember hearing in 2004 that he didn't do much running in training with the Blues. Even when he came back to Northland in 2013 he was returning from knee surgery. He had a serious knee injury in 2002 when making his debut for the Blues, it put him out for that entire season and it probably dogged him his whole career. I wish someone would release footage of his tries for Northland in 2001 - 2002 cause that was him at his very fastest, and his tries for Fiji sevens in 2001

Recent article on him

http://www.espnscrum.com/newzealand/rugby/story/219727.html

Last edited:
Good article! Is he playing again for Northland this year? It wasn't exactly clear.

Latest posts