• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Official RFU announcement and screens for The Rugby World Cup 2011 Official Game

I dont know... from the screenshots it looks just like the R08 animations looked like. The only thing different is the crowd. I really don't see what's improved

Think you might be correct there; the first shots just looked so poor, that these looked Awesome; but after looking at Rugby Challenge, again...well still a big quality difference between the two.

I dont know... from the screenshots it looks just like the R08 animations looked like. The only thing different is the crowd. I really don't see what's improved

Let's pick apart your post, the way your picking apart these screenies. There is a similar team working on this rugby ***le as were working on Rugby '06 & '08. It stands to reason there will be fine similarities to the original games. Sidhe's graphics as good as they are, are not much better than this. There is a side by side comparison on their forum done today by a guy called "dizal" which says and shows as much. Also at the end of the player editor video from Sidhe today you can see movement and graphics in action. Not from a gameplay aspect but an on-field realtime cut-scene.

The created player looks great, but kinda cartoony, nothing hugely better than what we are seeing here.

How can you tell how the animations for this game going to be from still images? You can't. You can guess that there might be similarities. That's about it. They will have refined a lot of animation cycles and added a lot to the game as it stood from '08. They've had to update it all to HD. It's going to be better than '08 by quite some way.

If anyone had asked what they want in a new rugby game from HB, they would've said,

better gameplay (we've heard it is so far),
online play (it's there),
a player editor (Alaistair has answered a question on here to say it's there but we don't know to what extent yet)
HD graphics (it's there)
better AI (we've heard it's better, but people are disputing it on the basis of still image bunching. These shots have been from the conclusion of a chase, where the whole line has been broken, not from a standard mid-field bust!!!).

Now that there are two rugby games coming out peoples expectations have gone through the roof!!!!!

Before either of these two games were announced people were begging on here, yes begging for a game of any kind on the new consoles. People were listing the things they'd sacrifice about graphics or feature wise, if only there'd be a rugby game for the new consoles.

"Just add online to Rugby '08 and release it", we'd hear.

But here we are, typical greedy modern consumers, want it all and even then, IT ALL is not enough. We want it all, plus more.

For goodness sake people. We need to support both of these games if you ever want the games to turn into franchises.

Let's pick apart your post, the way your picking apart these screenies. There is a similar team working on this rugby ***le as were working on Rugby '06 & '08. It stands to reason there will be fine similarities to the original games. Sidhe's graphics as good as they are, are not much better than this. There is a side by side comparison on their forum done today by a guy called "dizal" which says and shows as much. Also at the end of the player editor video from Sidhe today you can see movement and graphics in action. Not from a gameplay aspect but an on-field realtime cut-scene.

The created player looks great, but kinda cartoony, nothing hugely better than what we are seeing here.

How can you tell how the animations for this game going to be from still images? You can't. You can guess that there might be similarities. That's about it. They will have refined a lot of animation cycles and added a lot to the game as it stood from '08. They've had to update it all to HD. It's going to be better than '08 by quite some way.

If anyone had asked what they want in a new rugby game from HB, they would've said,

a player editor (Alaistair has answered a question on here to say it's there but we don't know to what extent yet)
HD graphics (it's there)
better AI (we've heard it's better, but people are disputing it on the basis of still image bunching. These shots have been from the conclusion of a chase, where the whole line has been broken, not from a standard mid-field bust!!!).

Now that there are two rugby games coming out peoples expectations have gone through the roof!!!!!

Before either of these two games were announced people were begging on here, yes begging for a game of any kind on the new consoles. People were listing the things they'd sacrifice about graphics or feature wise, if only there'd be a rugby game for the new consoles.

But here we are, typical greedy modern consumers, want it all and even then, IT ALL is not enough. We want it all, plus more.

For goodness sake people. We need to support both of these games if you ever want the games to turn into franchises.

^^^^^^ GREAT POST!

I totally agree :)

HD graphics (it's there)

Wow, took the words out of my mouth, However as with every new game release there will be people who wil hate it and belive they could do better themselves!

HD graphics (it's there)

I have to disagree. In a a analytic/argument sense I don't think you picked his post apart at all. And just to clear up, your saying that the created player of Sidhe is to the same quality of HB in game players; then where do to stand on Sidhe's in game players? Are they high or equal quality?

Big improvements on graphics from HB. I'm still leaning heavily towards Sidhe due to the leagues involved, but gameplay will ultimately decide.

I have to disagree. In a a analytic/argument sense I don't think you picked his post apart at all. And just to clear up, your saying that the created player of Sidhe is to the same quality of HB in game players; then where do to stand on Sidhe's in game players? Are they high or equal quality?

Big improvements on graphics from HB. I'm still leaning heavily towards Sidhe due to the leagues involved, but gameplay will ultimately decide.

I did a much finer job of "picking apart" (disputing) his argument, than he did of disputing the improvements in this rugby ***le. He proved very little in the way of logical arguments to back up his post.

Also, Sidhe's created or edited players are going to have to fit into the game very well, given that there are several whole Super 15 teams, the South African team and doubtlessly a few others that will need to be created or edited to by users to feel like the game is authentic. Not saying HB's game won't have players that'll need some form of editing (they obviously will), but my point still stands that overall there is not enough evidence for either game to say that there is a definite graphical winner at this point, much less a landslide victory.

There's a lot to come out about each game yet, and as I have said now many times, Sidhe could have the better game, HB may, but based merely on what we've seen so far, it's naive to declare a winner right now.

Also, shouldn't the winner be both teams? They both deserve a win if possible for their efforts towards rugby gaming, there's not really a lot of other dev teams out there who could care less about our game. So why should it be trophies and accolades for one and a noose for the other? Seems a bit mad to me.

Let's pick apart your post, the way your picking apart these screenies. There is a similar team working on this rugby ***le as were working on Rugby '06 & '08. It stands to reason there will be fine similarities to the original games. Sidhe's graphics as good as they are, are not much better than this. There is a side by side comparison on their forum done today by a guy called "dizal" which says and shows as much. .

I wasn't comparing it to RC, I was stating that the game looks pretty much like Rugby 08 did. I am aware that the same engine was used and tweaks were applied but is it really a new gen graphics? I mean... there was a time when the Quake 3 engine was used a lot in many many games, but at the end of the day it was the same Quake engine...

I wonder if this game will open up EA's eyes and make then respond with a good game as well in years to come ? Maybe a little competition will get them to do something nice again for the rugby fans.But I would not put my mind on it.They are sooooooo worried a bout piracy and the fact that not enough people are buying Rugby games.Well let's see what happens

some nice screens. I still think rugby challenge has a definite advantage in engine tech being used.rwc 2011 is definitely not ps1 graphics now though like so many on here were claiming it was. it will of course as always come down to the gameplay and until we see video or a write up from someone that has played both games nobody will know for certain which game is better. rwc is definitely going down the righ track though with the new screens and the exclusive rfu announcement

I disagree, compare the detail in the scrum picture (i.e the material of the socks/shorts) to this:
http://image.com.com/gamespot/images/2007/206/941842_20070726_screen007.jpg

Of course Olyy no-one will look at that picture you've linked, which proves this game has stepped up it's graphical efforts. It'll be "ignore that and come back in two days with the same "Sidhe's ones are better" or the now classic, "there's no graphical improvement at all from Rugby '08" ".

No-one is claiming that it's going to be better than Sidhe's for graphics, that's apparently all been decided, but we haven't compared a lot of other aspects that need considering and haven't been shown yet.

Actual game-play animation. Bad animations in the actual gameplay situation can make pretty graphics look not so good at all. That could happen for either game.
Poor implementation of game-play timing (it could be that one game has really average programming of passing timing, speed of players on defence and attack in relation to kicking and passing.
Collision detection in tackles, rucks, dives etc.
Overall controllability of players on defence and attack.
The fun factor in the control schemes for set-pieces and general play.
The overall common sense in the programming of the in-game logic systems for things like who wins a ruck and what factors get added together to produce a result etc.
The sound and atmosphere of the games.
The levels of lag or lack of in online games.
The in-game record keeping and stats.
Frame rate slow down or not?

That's just some of the important things that we really have no idea about right now.

Please try and realise that this isn't a war here, we're hoping for two good games of rugby and whats really important isn't all "who's got the best graphics right now" and the licenses.

The important details in helping people decide which game is the best is still not out there.

I'm taking more of the attitude of thinking about how can I find another fiver to put away in my "Rugby gaming money jar" (I really have one), so that I can have the both of them.

it's not far off what RC has got. They new kits wont be shown until August due to licensing release issues... everyone should know that by now?? So both ***les are trying to get exclusives on international teams... kidna buggers us up but gives us a reason to buy both lol

It's tweaked, I admit. But not much... The players are slimmer and better defined but look at the scrum image in particular. Notice the palms of the scrum half, the joining of the scrum (I think the no.8 has serious shoulder problems :))... it all looks too similar to what R08 was...

That's because Rugby '08 actually looked pretty good for the budget of a rugby game and a medium sized step up is probably good enough for the first iteration of their rugby on these consoles. Sidhe have done a fine job graphically, but honestly their previous Playstation and Xbox efforts with rugby league have proven pretty average, but had pretty good graphics for their time. Graphics have never been something I'd describe as Sidhe's problems in the past. Gameplay has. I've never played Rugby League 3 (Wii only), but apparently that was a lot better.

As for knocking HB's number 8? That's a laugh, it's one frame, he could change body position as he's setting himself at any moment!

What about the picture released here http://rugbychallengegame.com/ by Sidhe that has a Number 8 putting his arm through a lock's hip and body area????? That's just something I'm sure they've fixed, but come on, give HB some credit too!

I did a much finer job of "picking apart" (disputing) his argument, than he did of disputing the improvements in this rugby ***le. He proved very little in the way of logical arguments to back up his post.

Also, Sidhe's created or edited players are going to have to fit into the game very well, given that there are several whole Super 15 teams, the South African team and doubtlessly a few others that will need to be created or edited to by users to feel like the game is authentic. Not saying HB's game won't have players that'll need some form of editing (they obviously will), but my point still stands that overall there is not enough evidence for either game to say that there is a definite graphical winner at this point, much less a landslide victory.

There's a lot to come out about each game yet, and as I have said now many times, Sidhe could have the better game, HB may, but based merely on what we've seen so far, it's naive to declare a winner right now.

Also, shouldn't the winner be both teams? They both deserve a win if possible for their efforts towards rugby gaming, there's not really a lot of other dev teams out there who could care less about our game. So why should it be trophies and accolades for one and a noose for the other? Seems a bit mad to me.

His argument is weak, but I feel that you didn't really "pick it apart". Looking at all the screen shots it does have a Rugby 08 feel to it, which could be a good or bad thing. I'm just stating that you didn't discredit his statement, just started comparing it to RC rather than Rugby 08, which was Beerholder's original complaint.

That's a interesting point. I do remember playing with Rugby 08 with created players and their heads were massive. But i'm not to sure if the contrast is going to be big as your suggesting. I was impressed with detail of the Sidhe creation mode, and I personally think, especially if we can share files, that some talented artistic rugby fans somewhere will be able to create a fairly realistic South African/England side. I feel at this point that creating/editing players won't be an issue, and, for player likeness Sidhe has it nailed. Not to sure who the England 9 is in the HB screen shot.

As for both teams winning it's a double ended sword for me. I don't like all this jazz with licensing, but it is capitalist market so it will push each team to deliver a better product.

I agree at this point it is naive to throw your hat into one ring. However saying that, what Sidhe are offering with their product is a lot easier to get excited about. Not declaring winner by any stretch but there is a clear leader at the moment, which could change by the end of this week, but at the moment...

The only animation anyone'sw seen so far in public is the celebration on sidhes player creation vid. Must admit in that case it looked like the player walked with a carrott up his arse.

Shouldn't say that though, accusations of bias etc.

I'd suggest waiting to see both in action before coming to judgement about AIs.

His argument is weak, but I feel that you didn't really "pick it apart". Looking at all the screen shots it does have a Rugby 08 feel to it, which could be a good or bad thing. I'm just stating that you didn't discredit his statement, just started comparing it to RC rather than Rugby 08, which was Beerholder's original complaint.

Apparently he has changed his mind.

Latest posts