Hairy Scot

Academy Player
Country Flag
Scotland
Club or Nation
Scotland
Two rather skewed articles in the New Zealand Herald :-
http://www.nzherald.co.nz/nz/news/article.cfm?c_id=1&objectid=10780141
http://www.nzherald.co.nz/sport/news/article.cfm?c_id=4&objectid=10780061&ref=rss

This paper, in common with most of the NZ press, was strangely mute when the rest of the world's press was discussing the failings of Bryce Lawrence during the RWC 2011. A sharp contrast to the villification that was heaped on Wayne Barnes for a far lesser offence 4 years before.

While many in the sport feel that Lawrence should never referee at the top level again, the fact that he has been given any part in the Super XV is a slap in the face for World Rugby, not to mention a gross insult to the South African teams.

NZ's Top Ref ......... NOT!

Not quite sure what you mean by that.

However, to emphasize the point about Lawrence and the stupidity of NZRU, here is a quote from Pharside.UK :- http://www.pharside.co.uk/rugby/bryce-lawrence-lets-have-a-chat/

"It seems the NZRU have officially turned Rugby into a complete joke, to award someone who clearly is the worst referee in the IRB as Referee of the Year either doesn't say much for the level of referees in New Zealand, or its a middle finger to the Rugby community. All in all its just an absolute embarrassment for themselves, they clearly aren't a very bright bunch, they know how much controversy was sparked off following Bryce Lawrence's performance during the World Cup with calls of match fixing, yet they go one step further to confirm all that with giving Bryce Lawrence an award for what seems as a thanks for handing them the World Cup, I mean seriously, are these people thick or what?"

Last edited:
I totally agree! Just because you're paranoid doesn't mean they're not out to get you.

Wasnt that game last year man???....forget about it. 2012

Wasnt that game last year man???....forget about it. 2012

It's not about that game, it's about the fact that an incompetent and perhaps biased referee is considered fit to officiate at any level of the game.

It's not about that game, it's about the fact that an incompetent and perhaps biased referee is considered fit to officiate at any level of the game.

How is he perhaps biased? I would have thought you are either biased or not.

I do know that opinions on the ref's biase tend to increase when decisions don't go your way or when your on the losing team.

How is he perhaps biased? I would have thought you are either biased or not.

I do know that opinions on the ref's biase tend to increase when decisions don't go your way or when your on the losing team.

Given his performances in last years Super15, in particular the strange penalty decision against the Sharks in one game, and the subsequent fiasco in the RWC it could be said that he is biased against SA teams.
But that could just be coincidence.
I was trying to be charitable and give him the benefit of the doubt.

In the Super15 last year there were a number of occasions when strange decisions that went against SA teams were given by antipodean refs.
If it were not for the RWC then I'm sure the Dick would still be top of the hit list of many SA fans.

He might be a poor ref but he's certainly not biased. Besides old news

The complaint is not about the SA vs OZ fiasco but about the fact that he is incompetent yet he has just been voted NZ's top ref and he is still being allowed to officiate in top level games when he should be demoted to school leagues.

The complaint is not about the SA vs OZ fiasco but about the fact that he is incompetent yet he has just been voted NZ's top ref and he is still being allowed to officiate in top level games when he should be demoted to school leagues.

As Sam said your talking about games that took place last year. I think you need to stop worrying about it, it's done now.

I do not know what his stats are and how many top flight games he has been involved in but I am sure there are some where he did very well. I was reading an article where someone said from South Africa said that his first WC game was ref'd really well.

As Sam said your talking about games that took place last year. I think you need to stop worrying about it, it's done now.

I do not know what his stats are and how many top flight games he has been involved in but I am sure there are some where he did very well. I was reading an article where someone said from South Africa said that his first WC game was ref'd really well.

I am not basing my opinion on just one game, but on a whole series of incompetent displays.
He did ref his first game in RWC 2011 quite well, but unfortunately that type of performance would seem to be an exception.
The fact is that the man is a poltroon who has no place in top flight rugby.
But let's be charitable and wait and see how he performs in 2012.

To accuse any top flight referee of bias is an indication of a seriously deluded mind. Yeah mate, he hates South Africans. He has dedicated his life to this career, but hes willing to throw it all away because he doesn't like the Sharks very much.

I would like to point out that for all of the Kiwi *****ing about Wayne Barnes, the critique was that he was trying hes best but wasn't up to refereeing a game at that level at that stage in his career. No one said he went out there with a vendetta to purposely take the game away from them. Because thats ****ing stupid.

Also, do you think there is a cave somewhere full of world class referees just waiting for someone to be demoted so they can step up? Refereeing is a **** job by in large; finding anyone willing to do the job is hard enough, let alone ones that are actually good at it. Bryce Lawrence is pretty average, but there arent too many other options. If you think hes that bad that you could do a better job, get off the computer, go volunteer at your local union and work up to take his place.

To accuse any top flight referee of bias is an indication of a seriously deluded mind. Yeah mate, he hates South Africans. He has dedicated his life to this career, but hes willing to throw it all away because he doesn't like the Sharks very much.

I would like to point out that for all of the Kiwi *****ing about Wayne Barnes, the critique was that he was trying hes best but wasn't up to refereeing a game at that level at that stage in his career. No one said he went out there with a vendetta to purposely take the game away from them. Because thats ****ing stupid.

Also, do you think there is a cave somewhere full of world class referees just waiting for someone to be demoted so they can step up? Refereeing is a **** job by in large; finding anyone willing to do the job is hard enough, let alone ones that are actually good at it. Bryce Lawrence is pretty average, but there arent too many other options. If you think hes that bad that you could do a better job, get off the computer, go volunteer at your local union and work up to take his place.

Question:

Do you like your red bar, or can I add some greenery in their? :D

My exact words were "perhaps biased", a description that could be applied to some other supposedly top level antipodean refs.
All we want to see is some consistency rather than have a good game ruined because the ref is suffering from PMS.

The fact is that Lawrence is perhaps the top ref from a rather mediocre bunch. In fact, can you name a good ref from OZ or NZ?
Based on what I saw in the ITM cup, there are a lot of good refs in NZ waiting to get into the top level but they are being held back by dim wits like Bryce Lawrence and Vinny Munro.
Not to mention the twin jokers in the pack; Lyndon Bray and Paddy O'Brien. Neither of that pair was what one could term impressive at any stage in their careers.
Seems that as far as rugby refs go, so far NZ has produced quite a few duds.

Last edited:
Your knowledge of refereeing is clearly - 0. You don't have the slightest clue. Your accusations are nothing more than a baseless conspiracy theory. How does it feel being on an even lower intellectual level than stupid americans who believe 9/11 and the moon landing was a hoax?

Get a clue. Bryce is a competent super rugby ref, and one of NZ's better referees. I bet you can't name 3 referees who could actually ref a better season of super rugby than Bryce, let alone "a lot of them".

I'm all for accurate criticism of the refs and there is plenty of things to criticize Bryce Lawrence about. But in a grand total of 7 posts in this thread, you haven't mentioned ANY of them. Instead, just wasting server space with more baseless, bias and opinionated garbage.

As Ranger mentioned earlier, post something of substance, or "jog on" thanks.

Last edited:
An Englishman, a Aussie and Kiwi all agreement. Like the song say's it's the world in union :D

Last edited:
Look, I think everyone can agree the man (Lawrence) isn't the greatest ref ever and had one of his worse games ever in the RWC QF. Accusing him of intentional bias smacks of paranoia yet so does him refusing to ref any games in SA. In fact, I find that quite amusing. Yes, tempers flared after the game and we were all a bit hot under the collor and our media ofcourse wanted to keep the money coming in so they kept fanning the flames and putting bullshit up in neon lights even though everyone just wanted to move on. But to not come to a country because people critized your performance? ...

Your knowledge of refereeing is clearly - 0. You don't have the slightest clue. Your accusations are nothing more than a baseless conspiracy theory. How does it feel being on an even lower intellectual level than stupid americans who believe 9/11 and the moon landing was a hoax?

Get a clue. Bryce is a competent super rugby ref, and one of NZ's better referees. I bet you can't name 3 referees who could actually ref a better season of super rugby than Bryce, let alone "a lot of them".

I'm all for accurate criticism of the refs and there is plenty of things to criticize Bryce Lawrence about. But in a grand total of 7 posts in this thread, you haven't mentioned ANY of them. Instead, just wasting server space with more baseless, bias and opinionated garbage.

As Ranger mentioned earlier, post something of substance, or "jog on" thanks.

My knowledge of refereeing is obviously a good deal greater than your knowledge of etiquette and your ability to understand plain english.
I said he could perhaps be accused of bias, and a no time did I suggest any conspiracy, theoretical or otherwise.

As for opinionated garbage, read your own post.

Let's see how Brycie boy does in the games he has this year.
One thing is for sure, he can't do any worse than last year.

That aside, he is incompetent, and that is a fact.

Repeating lies doesn't make them true, and that basically sums up your posts. The claim "he can perhaps be accused of bias" is still unsubstantiated garbage. It's like me saying "perhaps the moon landing was a hoax" and having a cry every time someone tries to hold me to my words. Drop the conspiracies mate.

Anyway...8 posts and Bryce's biggest critic still hasn't found any valid some criticism, validated his other claims about referee's being held back or given us any reason to believe Bryce Lawrence is incompetent to ref super rugby.

Don't worry though, you'll fit right in with our other crackpots on TRF. They provide most of the humor.

Accusing him of intentional bias smacks of paranoia yet so does him refusing to ref any games in SA. In fact, I find that quite amusing.

The article says SANZAR don't want him reffing there (because they don't want some sort of sideshow going on), while he wants to. Don't know whether this is accurate or not though.

Last edited:

Latest posts