• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

[November Tests 2016 EOYT] Wales vs. South Africa (26/11/2016)

Yes hope to see him back with the bokke @10 , huge Lambie fan but he is just not cutting it ATM ,Lambie played very flat at the start career now he is bloody deeper than morne steyn ....

Apart from that. I honestly believe he is our next captain. There is nobody that has that leadership qualities in SA at the moment than him.

Apart from that. I honestly believe he is our next captain. There is nobody that has that leadership qualities in SA at the moment than him.

Yes I can't wait for Pollard to play for the Springboks again. I just hope he will be the same as he was back then. Not pull a DDA on us.

They have a point. If youre going to play more risky attacking rugby there's a greater chance for the opposition to counter attack.

And another point on that. I see calls for Sam Davies, Keegan Giles etc to be playing. If Giles did replace Cuthbert then from a defensive point of view it's a 12st winger replacing a 16.5st winger.

That's the problem Wales find themselves in at the moment. Their success under Gatland was based on defence but thats not as effective anymore. Now the public want to see more attacking rugby but they'll have to pick smaller players for that.

i get the counter attack, but we are woeful in defence even after the opposition have had multiple phases.

as for the winger weight comment, its all very well and good having a heavier/stronger winger but cuthbert is often floundering around in defence, although i will give him a little credit as he has improved in the past couple of games in this aspect (apart from the liam williams yellow card part). Giles has been solid in defence (albeit at regional level)

I want the Boks to win but I also want AC gone.

If AC stays I feel we are going to have to accept and adapt to his priorities and 'style' as coach. Though I would be all for us developing our game AC is not the man to do it, even less so than Meyer was. The best team AC could pick would be one to play a narrow game and play it well. That would mean getting Bismarck, Vermeulen, Frans Steyn etc etc back and looking to strangle opposition. getting our best kickers in there (whomever that might be) as well as an actual fetcher.

Picking youth and picking 'expansive/creative' players won't fix anything if the structures aren't riht and we've seen promising players in that mold go to poo under AC's structures; Taute and especially Jantjies at the Stormers spring to mind. So we are stuck in a time warp and either have to pick a 2007-esque squad to match the coach or go with the best available players we have and hope they can make something work even with one arm tied.

As for who I'd like to see coach the Bokke;

1 Eddie Jones :p (if he can drop the Stormers he can drop England for 'a challenge'- even let him come over after 2017 when England gets the new record win streak)
2 Nick Mallett - might not be in the loop and as sharp as at his best one would expect but he knows SA rugby, the ins and outs, our strengths and challenges
3 Robbie Deans - I think Aussie threw away a brilliant coach
4 Johann Ackermann - probably the most realistic of my picks (only realistic?) but he has stated he wants to achieve his goals with the Lions first. Hopefully a Lions SR ***le 2017 and taking over from AC with two years to work towards the next RWC.

1. EJ?, Ha haa - bet u got a few Englishman cursing for mentioning him.
2. Nick - He might have been a good candidate before he took the SuperSport gig.
3. Robbie Deans - An ideal foreign candidate even ahead of John Mitchell. I also feel a foreign coach woudl be better equipped to side-step the "hospital-pass" situation AC was given with regards to his assistants.
4. Ackermann - Certainly the best local candidate, other wise a definite future prospect. But first needs to keep his Lions roaring above the rest.

I beg to differ that AC's appointment was political, but it did fit the profile and what transpired in the Bok's results this year (so far) was just a reflection of him as a coach. He did fairly well domestically (in comparison), but the international stage is too big for him, plain and simple.

I was also one of those who actually wanted the loss against Italy and am hoping for the same result this week. Because in the face of 6 losses he was still talking about a good set-piece and taking positives?! lord knows how a win over Wales would be the worst thing ever for SA Rugby. Oh the irony.

liam williams yellow card part). Giles has been solid in defence (albeit at regional level)

Eh? I thought Cuthbert had one of his worst defensive displays against Japan, and that's saying something. Got caught out with two chips over his head, and another grubber on the floor + over committed in the lead up to Japan's third try.

He was competent against Argentina, but they didn't exactly test him at all, which shows how poorly they played.

Eh? I thought Cuthbert had one of his worst defensive displays against Japan, and that's saying something. Got caught out with two chips over his head, and another grubber on the floor + over committed in the lead up to Japan's third try.

He was competent against Argentina, but they didn't exactly test him at all, which shows how poorly they played.

yea in the argentina game mainly. made a couple of tackles into touch if i remember correctly. but nowhere near reliable enough. the chips over the head could happen to any winger really but he doesnt commit to tackles at all most of the time, always up to another player to snare the attacker then he joins in.

i expect we'll get williams at 15 with halfpenny and north on the wings. at least i hope!

This headline from WOL -:

Wales look set to revert to the team that beat Argentina for Saturday's final autumn international against South Africa at the Principality Stadium.

If that is the case I suggest a fan boycott until we are rid of Howler and Gareth perfect hair Davies, because with those two in their current position we are F**ked

It's not got Lydiate or Roberts I suppose. It will be a massive let down if we don't give Sam Davies a proper chance.

This headline from WOL -:

Wales look set to revert to the team that beat Argentina for Saturday's final autumn international against South Africa at the Principality Stadium.

If that is the case I suggest a fan boycott until we are rid of Howler and Gareth perfect hair Davies, because with those two in their current position we are F**ked

It's all speculation from WOL, which is par for the course with them. I wouldn't be surprised if it is true, but it's not long now until we know for sure. I'm certain Biggar will start, but just hoping they have enough sense to leave Roberts and Lydiate out. The only thing that's certain is that the selection will be conservative, which puts us in a very bad position. Just waiting for the 'We've picked a very experienced side...' waffle.

Here is the team, Warburton injured apparently.

15. Leigh Halfpenny (Toulon) (65 Caps)
14. George North (Northampton Saints) (64 Caps)
13. Jonathan Davies (Scarlets) (58 Caps)
12. Scott Williams (Scarlets) (40 Caps)
11. Liam Williams (Scarlets) (37 Caps)
10. Dan Biggar (Ospreys) (50 Caps)
9. Gareth Davies (Scarlets) (21 Caps)
1. Gethin Jenkins (Cardiff Blues) (128 Caps) (CAPTAIN)
2. Ken Owens (Scarlets) (44 Caps)
3. Tomas Francis (Exeter Chiefs) (16 Caps)
4. Luke Charteris (Bath Rugby) (70 Caps)
5. Alun Wyn Jones (Ospreys) (104 Caps)
6. Dan Lydiate (Ospreys) (59 Caps)
7. Justin Tipuric (Ospreys) (45 Caps)
8. Ross Moriarty (Gloucester) (11 Caps)

REPLACEMENTS:
16. Scott Baldwin (Ospreys) (27 Caps)
17. Nicky Smith (Ospreys) (6 Caps)
18. Samson Lee (Scarlets) (28 Caps)
19. Cory Hill (Newport Gwent Dragons) (2 Caps)
20. Taulupe Faletau (Bath Rugby (61 Caps)
21. Lloyd Williams (Cardiff Blues) (28 Caps)
22. Sam Davies (Ospreys) (2 Caps)
23. Jamie Roberts (Harlequins) (85 Caps)

- - - Updated - - -

Disappointed to see Halfpenny back to FB and Sam Davies only on the bench, Lydiate really needs to play the game of his life now to prove selection although SA being direct will play into his strengths. I also thought that Nicky Smith had done enough to get a start but it is very much 'tried and tested' team and disappointingly safe selection. I reckon if Warburton hadn't been injured he would have replaced Tipuric.

Very predictable, then. That's a real shame about Warburton - would have liked to see him at 6 and if SA target the breakdown then we may see Tipuric frequently out of position again as he was against Australia, hopefully they've thought about that and worked on the issues there.

Looking at the team now I almost wish Jamie Roberts was starting - you just know Sam Davies and him are going to come on at the same time or thereabouts, which will once again limit how much impact Davies can have on the match as our most creative centre leaves the field. Still, glad to see Davies get a spot on the bench and hope he's actually used properly this time. What a wasted opportunity for Keelan Giles though - in camp for the whole campaign and doesn't get a look in with a team that is desperate for some energy and pace.

Not sure what to expect results-wise, it's all going to be down to South Africa and how fired up they are when they come to town. We shall see.

If Wales played anything looking like an expansive game then I would be confident of getting a result. But if they are just going to go one up runners each phase then I'm sure SA will win by 10 points. What ever happens in attack Wales need to have intensity in defence which they have lacked so far and also need to do something at the breakdown as they could get dominated.

South Africa

15 Johan Goosen, 14 Ruan Combrinck, 13 Francois Venter, 12 Rohan Janse van Rensburg, 11 Jamba Ulengo, 10 Elton Jantjies, 9 Faf de Klerk, 8 Warren Whiteley, 7 Uzair Cassiem, 6 Nizaam Carr, 5 Lood de Jager, 4 Pieter-Steph du Toit, 3 Lourens Adriaanse, 2 Adriaan Strauss (captain), 1 Tendai Mtawarira

Substitutes: 16 Malcolm Marx, 17 Steven Kitshoff, 18 Trevor Nyakane, 19 Franco Mostert, 20 Jean-Luc du Preez, 21 Piet van Zyl, 22 Pat Lambie, 23 Lionel Mapoe

Last edited:
Springbok Team: http://www.sport24.co.za/Rugby/Springboks/coetzee-rolls-dice-with-4-debutants-20161124

15 Johan Goosen,
14 Ruan Combrinck,
13 Francois Venter,
12 Rohan Janse van Rensburg,
11 Jamba Ulengo,
10 Elton Jantjies,
9 Faf de Klerk,
8 Warren Whiteley,
7 Uzair Cassiem,
6 Nizaam Carr,
5 Lood de Jager,
4 Pieter-Steph du Toit,
3 Lourens Adriaanse,
2 Adriaan Strauss (captain),
1 Tendai Mtawarira

Substitutes:

16 Malcolm Marx,
17 Steven Kitshoff,
18 Trevor Nyakane,
19 Franco Mostert,
20 Jean-Luc du Preez,
21 Piet van Zyl,
22 Pat Lambie,
23 Lionel Mapoe

Here is the team, Warburton injured apparently.

15. Leigh Halfpenny (Toulon) (65 Caps)
14. George North (Northampton Saints) (64 Caps)
13. Jonathan Davies (Scarlets) (58 Caps)
12. Scott Williams (Scarlets) (40 Caps)
11. Liam Williams (Scarlets) (37 Caps)
10. Dan Biggar (Ospreys) (50 Caps)
9. Gareth Davies (Scarlets) (21 Caps)
1. Gethin Jenkins (Cardiff Blues) (128 Caps) (CAPTAIN)
2. Ken Owens (Scarlets) (44 Caps)
3. Tomas Francis (Exeter Chiefs) (16 Caps)
4. Luke Charteris (Bath Rugby) (70 Caps)
5. Alun Wyn Jones (Ospreys) (104 Caps)
6. Dan Lydiate (Ospreys) (59 Caps)
7. Justin Tipuric (Ospreys) (45 Caps)
8. Ross Moriarty (Gloucester) (11 Caps)

REPLACEMENTS:
16. Scott Baldwin (Ospreys) (27 Caps)
17. Nicky Smith (Ospreys) (6 Caps)
18. Samson Lee (Scarlets) (28 Caps)
19. Cory Hill (Newport Gwent Dragons) (2 Caps)
20. Taulupe Faletau (Bath Rugby (61 Caps)
21. Lloyd Williams (Cardiff Blues) (28 Caps)
22. Sam Davies (Ospreys) (2 Caps)
23. Jamie Roberts (Harlequins) (85 Caps)

- - - Updated - - -

Seems questionable to swap Liam and 1/2p again, but I can't say I'm too disappointed with the selection. It's a strong physical side but with plenty of guile at 7, 12 etc. At least Lydiate's a natural 6, and I don't have a problem with Moriarty starting at 8, he deserves it. Pretty good options off the bench and I hope Sam D gets a good run out.

WE JUST NEED QUICK BALL!!!!

Not a bad Springbok team. Now we only have to see if they have a game plan for once.

Latest posts