• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

New Zealand v South Africa

Yes had some extremely bizarre calls. Like when Spies kicked the ball, he wasn't even given the opportunity to play the other players on, straight penalty. Frustrating stuff, there are many more examples of this utterly negative and pedantic ref from Wales.

We were just awful for the first 60 minutes, then almost did enough in the last 20 to win the game.

Its really hard to win a test match when

► You have players who cant run with the ball in their hands without losing it
► You have an opponent who can kick goals from 60m
► You have no lineout
► You have players who cannot catch a high ball
► You have players who after years of having 50/50 passes in the midfield intercepted, still haven't learned not to do it.

The Springboks weren't all that good, we just made them look good because we were so terrrible. Every 50/50 bounce of the ball went the Springboks way, and with an ounce of luck, we just might have burgled it at the end, be we would not have deserved it, and then the cracks might have gotten papered over. When we finally started to throw the ball around after 60 minutes, the Springboks suddenly looked very fragile. Why the fvck didn't we start doing that from the getgo.

IMO, some All Black careers will be over after this Tri-Nations

Andrew Hore
42 tests and he STILL can't throw a ball into a line-out

Steven Donald
even I have to finally admit he's not up to test standard. Too slow and too one-dimensional. Isaia Toeava made a tremednous difference when he came on

Ma'a Nonu

Distribution skills - NIL. What good is a 12/13 who cannot distribute the ball under pressure. He might be a bullocking runner, but what good is that if he cannot hold on to the bloody pill!!

As for Nigel Owens, well I didn't think he was all that bad, certainly not as bad as Barnes last weekend

Originally posted by Steve-o
.....some extremely bizarre calls. Like when Spies kicked the ball, he wasn't even given the opportunity to play the other players on, straight penalty

Actually I thought this was the correct call.

When players ahead of a kick fail to retire, that is under the 10m Law (Law 11.4). for that penalty, the mark is where the player infringed Law 11.4 law downfield, 10m in front of where the catcher catches the ball

However, its a different story when players deliberately run downfield from in front of the kicker. In this case, Law 11.1 ( c ) applies

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div>
LAW 11.1 OFFSIDE IN GENERAL PLAY
( c ) Offside and moving forward. When a team-mate of an offside player has kicked ahead, the offside player must not move towards opponents who are waiting to play the ball, or move towards the place where the ball lands, until the player has been put onside[/b]

This used to be called the "downtown" law

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (smartcooky @ Sep 12 2009, 12:21 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
IMO, some All Black careers will be over after this Tri-Nations

Andrew Hore
42 tests and he STILL can't throw a ball into a line-out

Steven Donald
even I have to finally admit he's not up to test standard. Too slow and too one-dimensional. Isaia Toeava made a tremednous difference when he came on

Ma'a Nonu

Distribution skills - NIL. What good is a 12/13 who cannot distribute the ball under pressure. He might be a bullocking runner, but what good is that if he cannot hold on to the bloody pill!![/b]

What about So'oialo ? Do you reckon it's over for him as well ?

Does anyone know who holds the record for the longest successful penalty kick in test match rugby?Frans Steyn must surely be right up there!

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Intercept King JdV @ Sep 13 2009, 12:00 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Does anyone know who holds the record for the longest successful penalty kick in test match rugby?Frans Steyn must surely be right up there![/b]

Don't know if it was a test match or not, but Don 'the boot' Clarke once landed 77m goal.

Great ending. Fascinating match.

The play at 28 mins summed up the strengths and weaknesses. Boks stole AB lineout on 10m line (did same 10 mins earlier and du Preez scored through kick ahead), laboured passing in to midfield, JDV coughs it up, ABs have runners taking the ball all over the shop and bring it to the 22, Boks slow it down, ABs get pinged at next contact.

Toeava made a huge difference, but JDV was so smart to intercept his first pass from Carter.

I reckon SA are as good as they're going to get. ABs and Wallabies can improve a lot.

Is the game on again? I slept until the last two minutes, and by the time I'd managed to wrestle the remote free the highlights where over.

As for the longest shot, there was one centre who kicked a peanalty goal for Wales from inside his own 22 in the 80s. It's on a 'Best of Welsh Rugby: The 80s' DVD that happens to be lieing beneath my TV.

Boks are head and shoulder above the others at the moment, made the ABs look pretty ordinary, with 3 boks win out of 3, you just can't blame the ref or a bad day at the office, they were simply outplayed and outclassed during all three games.

Boks game plan is simple,
They're rock solid in defense,
They are more determined than their opponent under high balls and tend to get the most of them,
They have improved their tackling method pretty efficiently, they systematically take the ball out of their opponent in the tackle movemement. On a few occasions I thought the ABs handling skills were poor but after some close look, it really seems the boks created most abs errors.
They're ferocious at the breakdown
Their line out is second to none
Finally their backs DeVilliers, Fourrie, Steyn, Habana are just as skilled or even more skilled than the ABs bar Carter but he can't win a game on his own

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (shtove @ Sep 13 2009, 01:42 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
I reckon SA are as good as they're going to get. ABs and Wallabies can improve a lot.[/b]

You are right were do you go after winning the WC, Lions Series and Tri-Nations the only way is down :lol:

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (TheBokke @ Sep 12 2009, 09:25 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (shtove @ Sep 13 2009, 01:42 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I reckon SA are as good as they're going to get. ABs and Wallabies can improve a lot.[/b]

You are right were do you go after winning the WC, Lions Series and Tri-Nations the only way is down :lol:
[/b][/quote]

Like loosing to Italy in the end of the year tour :ph34r: .Heaven forbid

Spring boks too good for any team at the moment CONGRATS BTW :):) The good part about it all at least the All Blacks are NOT peaking now before the World Cup

Originally posted by candybum+--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (candybum)</div>
Don't know if it was a test match or not, but Don 'the boot' Clarke once landed 77m goal[/b]
This was for Waikato v King Country in 1956/57. It was 77 YARDS (about 70 metres)

<!--QuoteBegin-DunctheDoodle

As for the longest shot, there was one centre who kicked a peanalty goal for Wales from inside his own 22 in the 80s. It's on a 'Best of Welsh Rugby: The 80s' DVD
This never happened. You are thinking of Paul Thorburn's kick, which was not anywhere near from where you say. See below.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Intercept King JdV @ Sep 13 2009, 12:00 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Does anyone know who holds the record for the longest successful penalty kick in test match rugby?Frans Steyn must surely be right up there![/b]

► In a test match, the record for the longest successful penalty kick goes to Paul Thorburn for Wales v Scotland at Cardiff Arms Park in 1986 - 71 yards (65 metres) on the angle.

<<- Click image for video

Note:

It was with a heavy quarter-stitched leather ball, much harder to kick long distances than the synthetics used today.
Also, no kicking tee or sand; just a divet heeled into the ground to make the ball sit the ball upright.

Also, note the commentary of Bill McLaren, the greatest rugby commentator ever to grace a microphone.

► In non-test matches, the record goes to schoolboy Ernie Cooper for Bridlington School's first XV against an Army XV on 29 January 1944. he landed an 81-yard (74 metre) penalty , the longest successful authenticated penalty kick in history.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/rugbyunio...the-record.html

There have been dozens of players who have kicked from close to 60m, including Don Clarke (NZ), Pierre Villepreaux (FRA), Gerald Bosch (SA), Naas Botha (SA), DeWet Ras (SA), Sam Doble (ENG) and Trevor Morris (NZ).

Trevor Morris was a prodigious kicker. His hallmark trick was to drop kick his long distance penalty kicks. I remember as a boy watching him playing for Huia in Nelson Bays Club Rugby, drop kicking penalty goals from his own 10m line. The ball would sail between the top halves of the very tall posts both at Rugby Park in Motueka and Trafalgar Park in Nelson. Penalty kicks from up to 40m out were often still climbing when they went through the posts!!!

Congratulations to South Africa on the win and the TriNations ***le for 2009. And just think the ABs now get to play the Aussies to work out final places ... before playing them again, and again, and ...

Can't remember the last time the Bokke white washed the ABs, pretty sure it was in another TriNations campaign, the one where the Blacks lost all four games :(

AB and Wallaby brain trust now get a few months to nut out how to break down that Bokke defense, and stop that bloody intercept expert from seemingly getting at least one per game.

Forgot to add, who ever does the table at the top of the forum +1 point to the ABs for finishing within seven points of the rampaging boers.

Thanks for that info smartcooky

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div>
► In a test match, the record for the longest successful penalty kick goes to Paul Thorburn for Wales v Scotland at Cardiff Arms Park in 1986 - 71 yards (65 metres) on the angle.[/b]

The 1st penalty that Steyn kicked in this match was about 62m which was pretty awesome!Taken that this game was played at sea level, just imagine what he could do when/if he plays in SA again in the highveld like at Loftus or Coca-Cola Park where the ball should travel alot further....he should be able to put them over from 70+ metres, and he is only 22 years old so he has lots of time to work on his kicking...

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Jethro @ Sep 13 2009, 08:37 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
and stop that bloody intercept expert from seemingly getting at least one per game.[/b]

Appoint one player in the backline each time we run the ball, who knows he is not going to get the ball, but whose sole job is to run head-on straight at deVilliers so that if he gets the ball, he gets an opponent arrive at the same time. Better still learn to do what the South Africans are masters at; knock him over whether he gets the ball or not.

Simple to do in theory, but difficult to execute.

The even simpler solution is for the passing player to LOOK before they pass the bloody thing!!

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Intercept King JdV @ Sep 13 2009, 08:46 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Thanks for that info smartcooky

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE
► In a test match, the record for the longest successful penalty kick goes to Paul Thorburn for Wales v Scotland at Cardiff Arms Park in 1986 - 71 yards (65 metres) on the angle.[/b]

The 1st penalty that Steyn kicked in this match was about 62m which was pretty awesome!Taken that this game was played at sea level, just imagine what he could do when/if he plays in SA again in the highveld like at Loftus or Coca-Cola Park where the ball should travel alot further....he should be able to put them over from 70+ metres, and he is only 22 years old so he has lots of time to work on his kicking...
[/b][/quote]

Yep... Then if you add a slight breeze behind him then it'd go even further... The guy is incredible.

Awesome game the Springboks are massive and Dan Carter got so frustrated with his team mates he thought he'd give The Intercept King a try good on ya Dan hahaha. But seriously the All Blacks were just outclassed and after the first half were never really in it.

Both Steyns are awesome players but my man of the match would have to go to Fourie Du Preez he is just too damn good those kicks of his were killer and the All Blacks just couldn't handle them.

Congratulations South Africa you are worthy Rugby World Cup Champions, Brititsh & Irish Lions Tour Champs and now Tri-Nations Champions and thoroughly deserve your no.1 ranking :bravo: :bravo: . I'm a All Blacks supporter through and through but I just can't help but applaud great Rugby.

I'm sure I remember Carter nailing a penalty goal for a long way out just before halftime a few years ago in South Africa. I don't know how long it was, might have happened in 2006.

I don't think we were bad last night. You can't expect to win when your lineout is so shambolic but we really came in to the game into the last 20. South Africa deserve their win. We haven't been so good over the past four years that we have deserved to win the Tri Nations four times in a row. I personally don't think we should be worried. We can beat South Africa, things just haven't come together this year.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Intercept King JdV @ Sep 12 2009, 08:36 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (TheBokke @ Sep 12 2009, 09:25 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (shtove @ Sep 13 2009, 01:42 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

[/b][/quote]

Like loosing to Italy in the end of the year tour :ph34r: .Heaven forbid
[/b][/quote]

Loosing to France could be a bit more realistic though...

just sayin... :D

I actually think that if New Zealand play with a bit more risk, from early on, then we can run most teams off the field, like we did in the last 20min. The sad thing is is that we allow SA to play their game from early in the match, and SA is the master of their type of game. It is structured, defence orrientated and has the fortune to rely on boots that can kick from all most anywhere on a rugby field. And had the all blacks emphasised a running game, and got the Springboks retreating rather then their slow but sure advancement, we may have a better chance.

Latest posts