• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

new scrum engagement trial

May as well take it right back and just don't let the ref say anything. I was watching a old game a while ago and whenever a scrum was called both teams would just lock and there were no colapses throught the whole game. There was no crouch, touch, pause or engage calls they just let the players get in the scrum and it all happened alot faster than it does these days.
[/b]

the only trouble with this is a safety issue, it needs to be regulated as no one wants to see a bad or fatal injury from the scrum, whilst there will always be a risk, the ref making sure both teams are ready is better. i think the irb just need to find a system that works and stick with it and by the sounds of it this one should be fine.

I've just watched the Wellington v Hawkes Bay game and I hadn't realised that this 3 stage scrum was being trialled and actually thought the ref had cocked up at the first scrum :D

I thought however that the scrums worked very well and that the removal of the 'pause' helped. So long as the front rows aren't too far apart the lack of a pause shouldn't be too much of an issue.

Latest posts