• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

2010 ITM Cup - Formally Air New Zealand Cup - Fixtures

Honestly i would put money on Ripia losing his spot if i could, Barrett has dominated the preseason, hes got a running game that Ripia can only dream of and he gets his backline firing better than Ripia has ever done in his career, hes a much more reliable defender aswell. The only saving grace for Ripia at the moment is that he doesnt make many mistakes and his goal kicking can be very good. Think about it, what outstanding plays has Ripia pulled off in his career? his highlight reel would be very short even though he has been handed a whole lot of opportunites.
They even play for the same club side and Ripia was forced to the bench by the youngster. Barrett will overtake Ripia and he will run off to join the Melbourne Rebels.

Keats is a very solid player, but he doesn't have a great upside. The player he is now is the best hes ever going to be, whereas Goodin still has a whole lot of room to grow and could develop into a better player than Keats ever was in the long run, thats why i think he will get his share of time in the 9 jersey. I dont really like how Keats gets praise heaped upon him for unseating Weepu in the canes, sure he was chosen over Weepu during the super 14, but that doesnt mean it was a good decision, Keats had no business getting the start over Weepu and i think Cooper really messed up there.

I look forward to seeing how Barrett goes - there is no doubt he has a lot of talent. However, the step up from playing club/age-grade level to NPC level can be quite big for some players - I've seen numerous players excel at club/age grade level down here in Otago, then struggle at NPC level. Typically it takes a year or two for players to establish themselves at NPC level (if they ever do), though there are obvious exceptions - time will tell with Barrett. I'm not a fan at all of Ripia, but as you say he does the basics well, which is what is required at NPC level (though I think he is a very limited Super 14 player). What is Barrett's goal-kicking like? I suppose they can use Andre Taylor, as he is quite a good goal-kicker.

I really rate Keats as a player - whether he deserved to start ahead of Weepu or not, he certainly performed well in his starts for the Canes. Goodin, from what I've seen, seems to be a pretty under-rated player - even if he doesn't start I'd expect him to get at least 20+ mins off the bench each game. Its great for Taranaki that they have strong competition within the squad in a number of positions - I wish we had that in Otago!

Taranaki: Kurt Baker, Andre Taylor, George Pisi, Jayden Hayward, David Smith, Willie Ripia, Tyson Keats, Ben Souness, Chris Walker, Jarrad Hoeata, Craig Clarke (c), James Broadhurst (Leon Power), Michael Bent, Laurence Corlett, Shane Cleaver.

Reserves: Tutavaha Timo, Carmichael Carl, Barrett Kane, Vunisa Samuela, Goodin Brett, Tuifua Isaia, Barrett Beauden.

Northland: Jared Payne, Simon Munro, Rene Ranger, Aaron Bancroft, Lachie Munro, David Holwell, Luke Hamilton, Cameron Eyre, Sam Barker, Dean Budd, Mark Burman, Pat O'Connor, Bronson Murray, Mikaele Tuu'u, Matt Wallis,

Reserves: Tim Dow, Paea Fa'anunu, Roy Griffin, Cam Goodhue, Rhyan Caine, Iwi Hauraki, Bryce Heem.

Taranaki do have a pretty good side but I think it will be hard for them to go anywhere this season. The team has been cobbled together a little bit. Northland don't look too bad either. It's good to see David Holwell still going at it.

Hmmm I picked Taranaki to win on Super Bru, but looking at those lineups I think I'm going to say Northland by 7 points.

Paid a fortune for a Southland jersey in Queenstown, so may as well get some use out of it! Go Southland! :D

I bought the home and away jersey in Invercargil just before the season started and then they won the cup.

Northland win first up, a very impressive effort. I haven't heard of this Barrett guy but he might be in the side before long; I thought Ripia was very average tonight.

Northland win first up, a very impressive effort. I haven't heard of this Barrett guy but he might be in the side before long; I thought Ripia was very average tonight.

Absolutely. Cooper felt he had to keep Ripia on the field to kick goals, but he was doing nothing for the attack. Ripia did a **** job of running the backline, partly because he is no threat to run himself, he had a couple of dabs but noone respects his running game so they are free to drift off him and cramp the rest of the naki backline. But also Ripia just did a shitty job of getting the backs going.

Barrett showed with a couple of half breaks and offloads that he can run with the ball, he also made all the right decisions on the passing side of things. If Taranaki want to win they need to get Ripia off the field and let Barrett run the offense.

Absolutely. Cooper felt he had to keep Ripia on the field to kick goals, but he was doing nothing for the attack. Ripia did a **** job of running the backline, partly because he is no threat to run himself, he had a couple of dabs but noone respects his running game so they are free to drift off him and cramp the rest of the naki backline. But also Ripia just did a shitty job of getting the backs going.

Barrett showed with a couple of half breaks and offloads that he can run with the ball, he also made all the right decisions on the passing side of things. If Taranaki want to win they need to get Ripia off the field and let Barrett run the offense.

Do you come from Taranaki or something? You seem to know quite a lot about this guy.

Do you come from Taranaki or something? You seem to know quite a lot about this guy.

That could have something to do with it.. but New Zealand is such a tiny place, i know a thing or two about most top players in my age range just from playing with and against them up and down the country.

How did Baker do? If indeed he is the guy I'm thinking of who has scored 24 million tries in the Sevens series over the last couple of years?

I think like every year, this year will also be a very open competition. Especially with all the AB's on tour.

Last edited:
How did Baker do? If indeed he is the guy I'm thinking of who has scored 24 million tries in the Sevens series over the last couple of years?

Yeah thats the same guy, he was pretty much up to **** all to be honest. Nothing against him as a player but the backline just couldnt get ticking and he didnt really have any decent opportunites. To Northlands credit they did a brilliant job of making things as messy as possible, it won them the match but wasnt great for the spectators!

Curious about the Steamers, I lived in Rotorua supported Waikato but really liked the spirit of the Steamers.

Northland won the first game. Owing to time difference I will only watch the Waikato game tomorrow.

Canterbury v Hawke's Bay: 0-0
Manawatu v Southland: 23-37 ( saw the second part of the game, not that bad, but had to get up way to early) :)

Latest posts