• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Minnows XV

Aedaphon

Bench Player
Country Flag
England
Club or Nation
Barbarians
As I adore the 'Second Tier' sides of the game and seeing as it's coming up to the RWC and all I thought I'd ask the forum what their Minnows XV would be.

Just to specify by this I mean any team that isn't: New Zealand, Australia, RSA, England, France, Ireland, Wales (...just at the moment)

So without further ado, my XV (actually 22):

1. Soane Tonga'uiha (Tonga)
2. Mario Ledesma (Argentina)
3. Martin Castrogiovanni (Italy)
4. Jamie Cudmore (Canada)
5. Richie Gray (Scotland)
6. Juan Martin Fernandez Lobbe (Argentina)
7. Jacques Burger (Namibia)
8. Sergio Parisse (Italy)

9. Mike Blair/Chris Cusiter (Scotland) -Edit: Kahn Fotuali'i (Samoa)
10. Felipe Contepomi (Argentina)
11. Alesana Tuilagi (Samoa)
12. Seilala Mapusua (Samoa)
13. Gabiriele Lobovalavu (Fiji)
14. Tim Visser (Netherlands/Scotland)
15. Isa Nacewa (Fiji)

16. Cencus Johnston (Samoa)
17. Leonardo Ghiraldini (Italy)
18. Euan Murray (Scotland... And if it's not a Sunday)
19. Kelly Brown (Scotland)
20. Juan Martin Hernandez (Argentina)
21. Takudzwa Ngwenya (USA)
22. Chris Patterson (Scotland)

And there you have it. My attempt to pick a Minnow's XV. Feel free to pick it apart/debate/add your own. Personally I'd back that team over just about any team barring a full strength New Zealand... But I did pick it :lol:

Last edited:
No DTH Van Der Merwe? Finishing 2nd in Magners Leagure try scoring is no small feat, especially for a Canadian. :p

Kahn Fotuali'i IMO is top 5 in world in his position. Have a look at the tape and see his pass, kick, tackle run. He has it all and is why Deans had earmarked him for AB's prior to signing as coach of Oz.

Great looking team, OP! I'm sure that that team would be able to beat even a full strength NZ team if they had time to gel. Only weakness IMO is at 9/10 (not necessarily bad players but not as good as the rest of the team). I'd like to suggest Fotuali'i and a fit Hernandez at 9 and 10 respectively.

Pppssshhhh Ed Fairhurst not at 9 ... jog on.

My bad... I actually love Fotuali'i as a player, I just completely forgot about him. And Hernandez is slightly injury plagued (which is such a shame, because he's a massive talent).

I'm certain I could still be corrected on quite a few of these though.

Any team for which Caucaunibuca is eligible and not picked does not deserve my attention. [/exageration]

Now, a bit more seriously, I'd rather have Tchale Watchou than Cudmore in there. If he hadn't had a test for Cameroun when he was 19, he would surely have been capped already by France.

And I think the backs have a lot of strength and go forward, but you could have more class​ somehow... perhaps Bosch at 13? Contepomi at 12 and someone else at 10?

Firstly Argentina, Italy and Scotland are minnows..... no and I do not take it lightly.

Minnows are officially those belonging to the third tier but according to some this can be expanded to the second tier too. The first tier, as stated by the IRB are as follows: Argentina, Australia, England, France, Ireland, Italy, New Zealand, South Africa, Scotland, Wales. The second are, again officially stated, as follows: Canada, Fiji, Japan, Romania, Samoa, Tonga, USA. All others are third tier. Yes, this means Georgia, Uruguay, Namibia and all other prevous RWC sides are not regarded as second tier.

What is a minnow then.... well certainly not Argentina who were third in the world four years ago. Really, shocking call to the creator of this discussion. For me its third tier teams and arguably second but its debatable. To make it simple I´ll say second tier qualify but from the perspective that some second tier sides should be considered first soon. Samoa and Fiji being cases in point.

This side would be awesome.....

15 Chris Wyles (Saracens & USA)
14 Taku Ngwenya (Biarritz & USA)
13 Albert James Vulivuli (Racing Metro & Fiji)
12 Seilala Mapusua (London Irish & Samoa)
11 Daniel van der Merwe (Glasgow & Canada)
10 Seremaia Bai (Castres & Fiji)
9 Kahn Fotuali’i (Crusaders & Samoa)
8 Henry Tuilagi (Perpignan & Samoa)
7 Todd Clever (Suntory & USA)
6 Jaques Burger (Saracens & Namibia)
5 Mamuka Gorgodze (Montpellier & Georgia)
4 Jamie Cudmore (Clermont & Canada)
3 Davit Zirakashvili (Clermont & Georgia)
2 Marius Tincu (Perpignan & Romania)
1 Tonga Lea'aetoa (Bayonne & Tonga)

p.s. A team of Argentina + Italy + Scotland would be favorites to win the World Cup.

15 Rodríguez
14 Camacho
13 Evans
12 Contepomi
11 Mirco Bergamasco
10 Hernández
9 Blair
8 Parisse
7 Barclay
6 Fernández Lobbe
5 Albacete
4 Grey
3 Castrogiovanni
2 Ledesma
1 Ayerza

As a defence I call these teams 'minnows' because they have never been sides that truly look in contention to win the RWC. Call it as disgraceful a call as you like but I'd stand by my decision to class them as such.

These are the sides that we class a victory over the sides I exempted as truly exceptional. Between NZ, Aus, RSA, England, Ireland, France and Wales, there would almost certainly be favourites for every match, but it wouldn't go down as a historic moment when the underdog scored a victory over the favourite.

The recent victories of Italy over France and Samoa over Fiji edit: AUSTRALIA, and the massive upset they've caused in 'established' nations, those are the reasons I'd term these as 'minnow' sides.

Last edited:
As a defence I call these teams 'minnows' because they have never been sides that truly look in contention to win the RWC. Call it as disgraceful a call as you like but I'd stand by my decision to class them as such.

These are the sides that we class a victory over the sides I exempted as truly exceptional. Between NZ, Aus, RSA, England, Ireland, France and Wales, there would almost certainly be favourites for every match, but it wouldn't go down as a historic moment when the underdog scored a victory over the favourite.

The recent victories of Italy over France and Samoa over Fiji, and the massive upset they've caused in 'established' nations, those are the reasons I'd term these as 'minnow' sides.

Are there fijians on this board trying to make it look like their team is above samoa:lol:

I think it was far, far too late when I wrote that... I'm not even an islander :lol:

Is Nacewa a constant international player for Fiji?

It doesn't say anything about them being constant players just that they've played for them and a minute and a half still (for some reason) counts.

Do as you please, its your right to d so. But you have egg on your face. Argentina finished ahead of the sides you say are not minnows in RWC 2007. i.e. NZ, Aus, Ireland, France and Wales. Obviously your argument is poor. Ire have never been semi finalists and Wales havent in 24 years!

Clearly you don´t care for the IRB´s definition of a minnow so let me test your argument against the dictionary definition which says:

1. a small, European cyprinoid fish, Phoxinus phoxinus.
2. any other fish of the family Cyprinidae, including the carps, goldfishes, and daces.
3. any of various unrelated, small fishes.
4. a person or thing that is comparatively small or insignificant.

#4 being the one that appplies to rugby. In no way are Argentina, Scotland or Italy comparatively small or insignificant.

big ginger 8

No way would Nacewa make the team. He can only play for the Barbarians. Speaking of Islanders the best 15 is Paul Williams

Peat

Without doubt.

Last edited:
big ginger 8

No way would Nacewa make the team. He can only play for the Barbarians. Speaking of Islanders the best 15 is Paul Williams

What on earth do you mean by that? In a lot of peoples opinion he played pretty damn well for Leinster and by general consensus either him or Foden was fullback of the H C up. Williams is good but not as good as Nacewa.

Latest posts