• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Man fluent in 11 languages....I barely know 1

Much of what is been said of Welsh is true of Irish. Too many people have a negative attitude towards it and would rather not study it. This is largely due to the fact that it is taught fairly badly outside of Gaelscoils (which teach through Irish) and Gaeltacht areas. I personally am ok at Irish but not fluent which dissapoints me considering I have been learning Irish since I was five.

Well considering our Irish teacher isn't fluent in Irish I wouldn't be too hard on yourself.

That's true. Every Irish teacher I've had has been useless from when I first started school. Our current Irish teacher might be an exceptional brand of incompetant sh*t but he's no exception

Well considering our Irish teacher isn't fluent in Irish I wouldn't be too hard on yourself.

Yep his broken Irish works so well. Irish is taught pretty badly throughout the country. Even in the Gaeltacht it's fit in as many English words as you can. It is obviously part of our heritage and I like the language I think it sounds great but as a subject I properly hate it.

I think it should be mandatory up to Junior Cert and optional for the leaving. While many at first wouldn't do it it would drive the standard of the others up as they wouldn't be held back by people who don't want to be there.

Last edited:
Yep his broken Irish works so well. Irish is thought pretty badly throughout the country. Even in the Gaeltacht it's fit in as many English words as you can. It is obviously part of our heritage and I like the language I think it sounds great but as a subject I properly hate it.

I think it should be mandatory up to Junior Cert and optional for the leaving. While many at first wouldn't do it it would drive the standard of the others up as they wouldn't be held back by people who don't want to be there.

Clearly English is taught quite badly too. :p