• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Look what Allistair Coetzee said after the Aus game

Well, one thing is clear, Coetzee is not the coach to develop our game. Not that we didn't know that though. You can look at the teams he has been involved with. Not that he hasn't achieved anything but its not pretty.

So the options are keep Coetzee and accept his MO or drop Coetzee but for whom though? White is available (probably?) but TBH I'd rather Coetzee actually. Mallett isn't stupid enought o get back on that horse while Ackermann has made it clear he wants to win the SR ***le with the Lions first. Seemingly the Bok coaching gig is off limits to foreigners and I doubt many (any?) of them would want the job in any case.

If anything this win and the way we went about it is exactly what notSA rugby needed.

Sooooo, Coetzee it is. He has to find the right pieces for what he wants to do though and I expect it will be a lot harder for him to do so than it was for White. Not least because of the ever increasing political pressure and the quota system. And I'm not just speaking on the Bokke here but on the SR sides, CC, Junior Bokke and Varsity Cup sides which feed into the test side. On top of that more and more of our best go overseas and then the cherry is that our SR sides are looking to develop their game at SR level. That creates a mismatch between what our players do and what sort of players we want in our test side and SR sides. Not ideal.

I think we will continue to see ourselves fall further behind till we make the necessary adjustments at one end or the other.

Last edited:
I think as a coach he is pretty average, but in all honesty until you get rid of the quota system you are going to struggle to attract a decent coach, what is the stance on a non SA coach? not that anyone apart from John Mitchell would do it in the current environment.

The Indaba conference for all rugby brains of SA Rugby to take place after conclusion of RC will be the platform where all these ills experienced by our country will be addressed, chief among them the way we want to play and how to implement accross all structures and levels.

So - SA defence is better! Really?
The short answer is yes up 7% from the previous game against NZ.

However SA tackles made was still only 82% (95/116) that's 21 missed tackles. I think it's less a case of good defence by SA and more a case of missed opportunities by the Wallabies.

Interestingly Wallabies tackles made was 87%.

My biggest concern is that SA still spent 67% of the second half in their own territory and never once looked like they were going to score a try.
92 runs and only 7 line breaks but against NZ they had 77 runs with 6 line breaks - so SA ability to cross the advantage line has gone backwards.

Add to that 13 turnovers conceded and it spells a whole lot of trouble.

There is a long long way to go yet.

Latest posts