• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Lions selection>>>> Based on this 6 nations!

1. Corbisiero
2. Hartley
3. Cole
4. Gray
5. Palmer
6. Warburton
7. Haskell
8. Heaslip
9. Youngs
10. Flood
11. Bowe
12. Hook
13. O'Driscoll
14. Ashton
15. Foden

16. Rees
17. Healy
18. O'Connell
19. O'Brien
20. Phillips
21. Jackson
22. Evans

Coonor, surely Warburton and SOB the other way round?

What is the big deal with Warburton? I haven't seen a whole lot of him at all..

1-Corbisero -(jenkins if fit)
2-Hartley
3-Cole
4-Bradley Davies (beast)
5-Gray
6-Sean O'Brien
7-Barclay
8- ? no standouts for me but Heaslip is best mix of the lot
9-Youngs
10-Flood
11-Ashton
12-Roberts
*---because they are utterly fantastic together
13-BOD
14-Bowe
15-Foden

16-Healy
17-Rees
18-Croft
19-Shaw
20-Meh O'Gara or Jones
21-Sean Lamont
22-Lee Byrne ?
21-

Not sure I get all this Sean O'Brien nonsense. If we're picking a team based purely on the 6 Nations, then surely the best player so far from the best team should get in. Which means James Haskell.

If we're picking a team based purely on world class ability, and not worrying too much about this 6N in particuar, then you have Tom Croft at 6. It's an either/ or situation really. And SOB doesn't fit in because he's not as good as Croft, and he's a poor man's Haskell. Not to mention that O'Brien's not really stood out (great ball carrying, never ever passing and giving away penalties aside)

that's my tuppence anyway

I don't know where this 'Sean O'Brien gives lots of penalties away' stuff comes from. If someone could present any evidence backing it up I'd be okay with it, but as showed earlier, his penalty count for the first 3 games at least was pretty low.

Sean O' Brien has not in fact given away half as many penalties as people are making out , the talk that he is a poor mans Haskell is utter tripe , Haskell has not made the breaks or picked the lines O'Brien has in either the six nations this year or the Heineken Cup.

I do think Haskell is a good player but in all fairness he does not crash it up as well as SOB nor does he pick the lines either. the talk of not passing stems from one instance of him wasting an overlap against Scotland which was a mistake indeed but hardly as big a deal as people make out.

Haskell not been making the linebreaks or running lines? Bloody lucky he's not an inside centre then.

What's SOB been like at hitting rucks and winning turnover ball so DURING THE SIX NATIONS? (If somebody mentions "His Leinster form" as justification for their POV again my head may explode).

What is the big deal with Warburton? I haven't seen a whole lot of him at all..

Because he is pretty decent and earned a lot of praise during this 6 Nations, good in the tackle situation, good in the loose and a good lineout forward. Still a little raw and young but give him another season or so could be a very very good player.

Wales vs Ireland: O'Brien gave away 4 (50% of the Irish penalties)
Italy vs Ireland: Gave away 1
Ireland vs France: Gave away 1
Scotland vs Ireland: Gave away 1

With the exception of Cian Healy he gave away the most penalties in the Irish squad - it's not a massive amount, no, but considering how close the Wales vs Ireland match was, to give away 4 is pretty bad (it's twice as many as the next guy - from either side)

I don't know where this 'Sean O'Brien gives lots of penalties away' stuff comes from. If someone could present any evidence backing it up I'd be okay with it, but as showed earlier, his penalty count for the first 3 games at least was pretty low.

scrum.com puts him on 6 conceded this tournament, with 4 in the Wales game alone. Considering Kidney was meant to have read the riot act, thats pretty bad. Two were kickable iirc as well - forget blaming Sexton, Mincer or Allen, thats your six point difference right there...

The fact O'Brien never passes isn't entirely his fault, but its true. I think its more there's no support runners for him to pass to. His tackling's been fine, his rucking's been meh. Saying he makes more line breaks than Haskell is laughable, they've both been good to very good there, saying O'Brien is good on crash ball isn't true either. No more than average and frankly if Ireland had sense they'd tell him to wait for second phase.

I'm still going to wait for the final game before naming my team, but right now the back row would look like this

6. Haskell 7. Warburton 8. O'Brien 19. Wood

Wales vs Ireland: O'Brien gave away 4 (50% of the Irish penalties)
Italy vs Ireland: Gave away 1
Ireland vs France: Gave away 1
Scotland vs Ireland: Gave away 1

With the exception of Cian Healy he gave away the most penalties in the Irish squad - it's not a massive amount, no, but considering how close the Wales vs Ireland match was, to give away 4 is pretty bad (it's twice as many as the next guy - from either side)

He gave away 0 against Scotland

Haskell not been making the linebreaks or running lines? Bloody lucky he's not an inside centre then.

What's SOB been like at hitting rucks and winning turnover ball so DURING THE SIX NATIONS? (If somebody mentions "His Leinster form" as justification for their POV again my head may explode).

3 times better than Haskell according to espn scrum

Last edited by a moderator:
Lads how come noone has Buckley in their Lions squad seen as he'll be on plane soon :p

Haskell has had a good tournament but lets remember he is behind a front five thats always going forward and alongside backs that always run support lines and break through tackles. If O'Brien had the experience Haskell has and was playing for England I think he would be twice as effective.

Healy
Best
Ross
Wyn Jones
Palmer
O'Brien
Barclay
Heaslip
Phillips
Sexton
Evans
Roberts
O'Driscoll (C)
Bowe
Earls

Redoing mine now that it's over,
Bloody hard to choose a squad because of some players playing well to start with and then being shite, and vice versa

1. Paul James? Need someone good in the scrum, so Healy's out (I like my props to scrum well before looking at their loose play)
2. Rees
3. Cole
4. Gray
5. Palmer
6. Wood
7. Warburton
8. Heaslip
9. Reddan?
10. Flood
11. Bowe
12. Lamont
13. BOD
14. Ashton
15. Foden

16. Thompson
17. Ross
18. O'Connell
19. Barclay
20. Peel? (Only played 20minutes but looked good in that 20 - possibly Youngs, but he's been very hot/cold)
21. Sexton
22. Ansbro (or Evans)

In the 22:

7.5 = English (.5 = Youngs)
3.5 = Welsh (.5 = Peel)
7 = Irish
4 = Scottish

Last edited:
Look... I don't like doing this sort of thing... but both of you should be strung up and shot for not picking Richie Gray... I mean, srsly...

Anyway, the Lions team based solely off this tournament goes:

1. Corbierso
2. Rees
3. Cole
4. Davies
5. Gray
6. O'Brien
7. Warburton
8. Brown
9. Youngs
10. Flood
11. Earls
12. Lamont
13. BOD
14. Ashton
15. Foden

16. Best
17. Healy
18. Palmer
19. Wallace
20. Lawson
21. Hook
22. Bowe

Also touring: Both Welsh props, Hartley, DOC, Kellock, Wood, Heaslip, Haskell, Reddan, Jackson, Hook, Roberts, Davies, McFadden, Trimble, Patterson, Halfpenny

Conclusion: Dear ******* god but we need things to change or we'll get whupped. Jenkins and Jones sorely missed, we need a hooker who's more than solid, scrum-half is dodgy as ****, fly-halves a wee bit inconsistent, centre situation is dire and tbh I'd like a few more fit, firing wings.

Eying up some bolters: Joe Marler, Jamie George, Dan Tuohy, Turnbull, Dominic Ryan, Chris Robshaw, oh shite there's **** all at scrum-half, Tovey, Luke Marshall, Manu Tuilagi, Craig Gilroy, George North, Ansbro if he stays fit... the talent's there, but it needs a bit of development.

Redoing mine now that it's over,
Bloody hard to choose a squad because of some players playing well to start with and then being shite, and vice versa

1. Paul James? Need someone good in the scrum, so Healy's out (I like my props to scrum well before looking at their loose play)
2. Rees
3. Cole
4. Gray
5. Palmer
6. Wood
7. Warburton
8. Heaslip
9. Reddan?
10. Flood
11. Bowe
12. Lamont
13. BOD
14. Ashton
15. Foden

16. Thompson
17. Ross
18. O'Connell
19. Barclay
20. Peel? (Only played 20minutes but looked good in that 20 - possibly Youngs, but he's been very hot/cold)
21. Sexton
22. Ansbro (or Evans)

In the 22:

7.5 = English (.5 = Youngs)
3.5 = Welsh (.5 = Peel)
7 = Irish
4 = Scottish

I thought you said you liked your props to scrum :lol:

ObviousTroll.jpg

Latest posts