• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Lions and Sharks flirting with pro14

John Smit's take on the how South African teams should divide between SH and NH. Interesting and controversial view. Personally, i kinda like it. Not sure it'd work tho.

http://www.skysports.com/rugby-unio...-south-africa-should-rotate-their-pro14-clubs

EDIT: sarcasm removed.

I saw this and thought much the same. Gotta say I'd be much happier about the Sharks being in the comp on a term basis knowing they'd be back to SR in time, but I don't think SANZAAR would allow us to have one foot in and one out in this manner, surely not any more then they already have. Also there's a risk of say the Cheetahs getting used to the NH teams and style and then having to go back to SR where they'll struggle and have to relearn again and vis-a-vis when they go North again. A good solution to the problems of playing 2 club comps but I'd rather we split 3 teams in each and if we want any more we have loads of local franchises who would be willing to come into either comp. I'm in favour of the Pumas nd Griquas joining the Pro14 and leaving our bigger/stronger franchises in SR but I know a lot of Saffas are in favour of the north and want our best teams over there, I just don't see it yet aside from a better time bracket and new teams to compete against, not necessarily better or worse just different. Can't help feeling we will have to choose one or the other eventually

John Smit's take on the how South African teams should divide between SH and NH. Interesting and controversial view. Personally, i kinda like it. Not sure it'd work tho.

http://www.skysports.com/rugby-unio...-south-africa-should-rotate-their-pro14-clubs

EDIT: sarcasm removed.

It certainly is interesting. And I guess is that if this was a future plan, then it will depend on the contractual obligations the franchises have with Pro 14 and SANZAAR. It won't be as simple as just switching teams year in and year out. But then again, we all thought that at the end of 2015, there will be 18 teams in Super Rugby up to 2020 when the deal expires, and look what happened in 18 months time...

BTW, @Cruz_del_Sur, did you manage to get more info on those letters the Lions and Sharks wrote to Sanzaar? It's been nearly a whole week, without a single news outlet covering the story... Seems to be a slow media week.

Not a fan of rotation personally. It is hard enough to create rivalries over time without chopping and changing. I don't see a problem with SA sides being in two competitions and I disagree that there are too many sides in SA. Every sizeable city in rugby playing countries should strive to have a professional rugby side and youth setup.

Plus, rotation would mean we'd have the same issues of too long a season that the Cheetahs and Kings will experience in early 2018.

I shouldn't have removed the sarcasm bit in my previous post. I did it fast enough so i am 100% certain nobody actually read it, so i thought to myself, "no harm done". I thought you wouldn't go sour grapes on me. I tried to take the high road instead and paid for it. Silly me. Won't happen again.

BTW, @Cruz_del_Sur, did you manage to get more info on those letters the Lions and Sharks wrote to Sanzaar? It's been nearly a whole week, without a single news outlet covering the story... Seems to be a slow media week.
Not really. I am not a journalist nor interested enough to follow this constantly nor endlessly. Google is your friend, don't be shy, if you are as interested as your posts suggest, use it.
If i come across something i'll let you know, rest assured. Happy to stand corrected the issue, i don't really mind.
Having said that, i am pretty sure finding nothing doesn't really reinforce your pov, nor mine for the matter.

We are looking into updating the rules of the forum. I will definitely ask the other mods to consider this request.
I am incredibly curious H, how's that working out? I'm sure the mod/admin team was fascinated by your proposal and it's only a matter of days before it is implemented.
Keep us posted, please. I am dying to know.

I thought you wouldn't go sour grapes on me
I can't help thinking that would have fit nicely in a private convo.

On topic: I don't see rotation of SA franchises working (though selected players may rotate by moving to a different SA team) - but I do like the idea of more games between SR and European teams.
At least some challenge matches in May or July for teams that miss out on the QFs in EPCR and SR. (will be easier after the int tours move to July?)
Or even go crazy and have a mini-tournament of some kind every 4 years at the expense of a shorter SR season and no Champions Cup that year.

How can someone who created a thread partly based off of not liking a guy's "appearance" be questioning someone else for what they consider worthy of a thread?

Ugh! If you guys are just going to team up and attack me the whole time, then why bother?

But to answer your questions.

When it comes to the mods, I'm a junior here, and doesn't have as much rights and privileges as other mods such as @TRF_Olyy , @TRF_Fullback or @TRF_Josh. I have made recommendations regarding forum rules. But it's not up to me on how it will be invoked, or if it will even be approved or not.

As for comparing this thread to mine about Elton Jantjies. That is not a fair comparison. I even said in my thread that it is my opinion, and that I accept that not everyone will agree with me. Everyone is entitled to their opinion. If you don't like my opinion, then add me to the ignore list.

As for this thread, a link was added to this thread. And it was a blog that someone wrote. And myself and others pointed out that we don't think the blog is factually correct. Yet, I am the only one who is consistently being heckled. I keep on asking for more proof, as no mention whatsoever anywhere on the web mentions what that blog is saying, and I find that extremely odd. That not even one local journalist/blogger would pick up on that story and run with it?? Not even the fake news articles, Bell Pottinger, the Guptas or any other corrupt outlet has picked that up.

By the lack of evidence, it seems to me that the articles is false, and I cannot in good conscience just sit idly by and watch as untrue/false/fake remarks are made about SA Rugby or any of the SA teams.

I feel it's my responsibility as a proud South African, to represent my country on this forum, and with the knowledge and experience I have, ensure that the correct information is given to the rest of the world.

Yes, I'm also only human. Yes, I have an opinion. Yes, you might not agree with me. But to attack me or my integrity, is not something I take lightly, and will not simply let this go.

SR history has shown us a new team needs about 6 to 7 years to settle. Cheetahs at least do have some sort of player base but the Kings are starting afresh. Rotating will mean our teams will never settle and players will have to keep adapting to new conditions.

If we rotate while SH and NH seasons aren't lined up we'll have to deal with bumper seasons as well.

And then lastly just as foreign viewers get used to our sides and us to theirs and rivalries might start to develop we bury that.

Seems poorly thought through to say the least IMO.

Eighteen days on, and still there is no information on any other news site than the Times and some no-name blog.

Looks like fake news to me, and the story is a dead duck

Eighteen days on, and still there is no information on any other news site than the Times and some no-name blog.

Looks like fake news to me, and the story is a dead duck

Stuart Lancaster may be in on the "fake news" conspiracy too. :p

I'm going to guess that South African posters here don't pay too much attention to Leinster assistant coach Stuart Lancaster's comments after a game in a supporters club bar. After last night's game, he was asked about Leinster's experience in SA where they played the Kings and Cheetahs. His comments are around 4 minutes into the clip at this link:

For those who don't click the link, he says Leinster had Stormers coaches Robbie Fleck and Gert Smal involved in training sessions. When asked what they made of the Pro14's expansion into SA, they said they'd love the Stormers to be a part of it.

Whether that's the position of the Stormers leadership is another question but given the rumours around a month ago that the Lions and Sharks were also interested in switching to the northern hemisphere season, I thought it was interesting.

Stuart Lancaster may be in on the "fake news" conspiracy too. :p

So an informal discussion between 2 coaches now means that SA teams have officially written to SARU and requested to join the Pro14???

To quote Mr. Lancaster "He said, we'd love to come". So Gert Smal, said they'd love to come. And of course he would say that, because all the SA unions bought into the idea of joining the Pro14, and they all sat around the same table and discussed the plan forward.

But Gert Smal, is not with either the Sharks nor the Lions, and I doubt he'll be talking on their behalf. And again, saying we'd love to come, doesn't mean that there is official intent of the franchise wanting to ditch Super Rugby, or request SARU to make a plan for them to join the Pro14.

If senior representatives from clubs are showing an informal interest publicly in joining the Pro14, does that make it more or less likely that formal, but confidential, correspondence with the SARU on the matter has taken place? Discuss. :p

If senior representatives from clubs are showing an informal interest publicly in joining the Pro14, does that make it more or less likely that formal, but confidential, correspondence with the SARU on the matter has taken place? Discuss. :p

I think some of you are trying to pull the lake from under the duck.

Stop trying to make each and every discussion between coaches a letter of intent that they want to leave SANZAAR/Super Rugby.

I'm sure every coach of a union in SA would say the same thing as Gert Smal when asked. It's a shiny new toy dangling in front of them. It doesn't mean they're going to grab it.

So an informal discussion between 2 coaches now means that SA teams have officially written to SARU and requested to join the Pro14???

To quote Mr. Lancaster "He said, we'd love to come". So Gert Smal, said they'd love to come. And of course he would say that, because all the SA unions bought into the idea of joining the Pro14, and they all sat around the same table and discussed the plan forward.

But Gert Smal, is not with either the Sharks nor the Lions, and I doubt he'll be talking on their behalf. And again, saying we'd love to come, doesn't mean that there is official intent of the franchise wanting to ditch Super Rugby, or request SARU to make a plan for them to join the Pro14.
You're absolutely right, informal chit chat between Lancaster, Fleck and Smal doesn't amount to negotiation to join the Pro 14.

The comments are interesting though especially as they relate to another SA Super Rugby team outside of the Lions and Sharks who there were rumours about.

All of this is to be taken with a pinch of salt but rumour, conjecture and adding 2+2 together to make 5 makes for good discussion on a forum!

Latest posts