• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Lions and Sharks flirting with pro14

The Guinness "well I guess if no one else wants you we could fit you in somehow" Pro 50, coming soon to an empty stadium near you

Adding these two teams would still make the competition work well and I guess you can keep the conferences as they are but just adding one of those teams to each. I really hope something can be done here

Hope it happens it'll keep the Pr€mier$hip a wasteland for guys who couldn't cut it in our league a while longer before the eventual death of Irish, Welsh and Scottish club rugby. Need that money from Africa badly!

the CEO of Aus rugby Bill Pulver was saying on the GAGR podcast that there should be a Aus/NZ/Asian/PI league not the current setup.

I don't have enough knowledge of how wide the pay disparity is between the Pro14 and SR in terms of TV money and exchange rates. But if it is a wide disparity, then the perverse situation is that the SR sides could become feeder clubs for the Pro14 ones.

Its good that the SA union has options, but I hope that their long term solution is a result of factors like fan demand and TV viewing figures, rather than exchange rates and panic by the ARU.

If this happens, then one season later South Africa will be your new Six Nations champions.

My guess is that if the Lions and Sharks go, you'd probably have to take the Bulls and Stormers too ... can't see any enthusiasm for a Trans Tasman/PI comp here in NZ TBO ... probably just go it alone with an expanded Mitre 10 cup, but whether that's affordable or not.

I know the top echelon of NZ players favour still playing the South African sides

can't see any enthusiasm for a Trans Tasman/PI comp here in NZ TBO ... probably just go it alone with an expanded Mitre 10 cup
The time frame complicates this factor. Before 2023, you're probably right. If SA eventually realign in another 10 years... well it will be a different world. The game is growing fast, and Japan will probably be seen almost as equals, USA where Argentina is now. SA will still be missed, but it wouldn't quite be the end of SR.

There are some notable absences in this story

1. There are no names of any Lions or Sharks or SARU management mentioned

2. There are no quotes from anyone or interviews with anyone

3. There is no mention of this on ANY of the usual South African sports media (SuperSport & Sport24)

SuperSport Rugby page https://www.supersport.com/rugby

Sport24 rugby page http://www.sport24.co.za/Rugby

No mention in either, in fact this article says that SARU are committed to SANZAAR

http://www.sport24.co.za/Rugby/south-africa-committed-to-sanzaar-roux-20170901

The Times article all sounds like some NH journalist interviewing his own keyboard on a slow news day..

Last edited:
Course, tons of speculation at this point.
Having said that, as per the article, there are 3 parties involved here: Sharks, Lions and SARU. I can understand why all of them would like to keep this under the radar for the time being.

At a press conference Roux of the SARU was asked a very mumbled question about whether there were other players and (I think) teams wanting to relocate to Europe and he stated "I wouldn't tell you even if there were" which provoked a few laughs.

I'd be surprised if there wasn't some mileage in these stories. Hard to see what concessions they'd want or get from Super Rugby - if this is simply a negotiating ploy.

At a press conference Roux of the SARU was asked a very mumbled question about whether there were other players and (I think) teams wanting to relocate to Europe and he stated "I wouldn't tell you even if there were" which provoked a few laughs.

I'd be surprised if there wasn't some mileage in these stories. Hard to see what concessions they'd want or get from Super Rugby - if this is simply a negotiating ploy.

Like an NRL player's manager hinting at negotiations with an RU team regarding a possible code switch..

Depends on the money doesn't it. If they can get more money playing in Europe then its a no brainer that they're at least considering the possibility of switching tournaments. Those teams will have all the figures in front of them and they'll have a good estimation of how much money they will earn with a move.

Latest posts