• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Joe Marker's busy fingers

Was it...

• Joking around in good spirits and fine

Votes: 13 38.2%
  • Out of order, assault, worthy of a ban

Votes: 21 61.8%

• Total voters
Either way, I don't see how anyone can claim that he doesn't deserve to be punished. No matter how many club games it's happened in, the laws are pretty clear about it (and with respect, I don't think it's unreasonable to expect people playing in an event watched by millions to behave better than angry internet man did in some random junior third division game 20 tears ago).
agree. cant believe the idiots that are saying that he shouldn't be punished. its just stupid infantile yobo grubby BS. i dont care if marler thought it was funny, its offensive childish antics of a fool

good ban.
had AWJ retaliated then he wouldve been red carded when marler was obviously in the wrong. and getting a smack in the face for it is a justified reaction imo.
i still cant believe that the TMO and ref didnt make a decision on it at the time. they mustve seen the footage.

the system has worked...did something stupid...got caught...was punished

punching someone in the face (and not stopping at one) being considered justified is just silly in my mind, its the same mentality as "i shot someone for trying to steel my tv" #murica, just shows an embarrassing lack of control and ridiculous escalation

10weeks seems fair - reducing it for saying sorry is BS, however his actions don't really meet the minimum of the way it's described in the laws so a reduction makes sense for that in a roundabout way.

Three weeks for the French prop is pure madness though

10 weeks is fair, although I don't buy that the reductions are necessarily justified, especially remorse (his twitter wpuld suggest otherwise).

That all said, while I've consistently advocates for him to be punished, I do think it is slightly perverse that he got over twice what the French guy got.

the system has worked...did something stupid...got caught...was punished

punching someone in the face (and not stopping at one) being considered justified is just silly in my mind, its the same mentality as "i shot someone for trying to steel my tv" #murica, just shows an embarrassing lack of control and ridiculous escalation
sorry someone uninvited fondling my d!k and someone stealing my TV are 2 totally different scenarios. tho both would warrant a punch.

sweet if you dont mind people fondling you; each to their own. but most people would be offended and in the real world this is called sexual harrassment

and i would definitely shoot someone who came into my house to steal my TV . i have my family in my house.

sorry someone uninvited fondling my d!k and someone stealing my TV are 2 totally different scenarios. tho both would warrant a punch.

sweet if you dont mind people fondling you; each to their own. but most people would be offended and in the real world this is called sexual harrassment

and i would definitely shoot someone who came into my house to steal my TV . i have my family in my house.

i never said i wouldn't be offended, but fondling my tackle would have very little ongoing damage other than potentially to my pride...smashing someones face in would more than likely have may more serious issues...that's the definition of disproportionate

...whats your family got to do with someone stealing your tv?...if you'd said breaking into my house to hurt my family then that might make sense but your natural response is what leads to so much unnecessary violence

i never said i wouldn't be offended, but fondling my tackle would have very little ongoing damage other than potentially to my pride...smashing someones face in would more than likely have may more serious issues...that's the definition of disproportionate

...whats your family got to do with someone stealing your tv?...if you'd said breaking into my house to hurt my family then that might make sense but your natural response is what leads to so much unnecessary violence
cos my family i usually keep in my house?
if someones coming to steal my TV where else would it be? someone breaks into my house theyre gonna suffer zero tolerance full prejudice.

...and your a bigger better man than me. if someone fondled my d!k uninvited they would get a hiding. i dont see that as unreasonable or disproportionate. its simple cause and effect. dont fondle anyone who hasnt given you consent and you wont get punches in the face
...or prosecuted

cos my family i usually keep in my house?
if someones coming to steal my TV where else would it be? someone breaks into my house theyre gonna suffer zero tolerance full prejudice.

...and your a bigger better man than me. if someone fondled my d!k uninvited they would get a hiding. i dont see that as unreasonable or disproportionate. its simple cause and effect. dont fondle anyone who hasnt given you consent and you wont get punches in the face
...or prosecuted

certainly sounds like it

the fact you cant disassociate hurting your family from nicking your tv makes me worry about your decision make ability...or how much you love you tv

your last point is what im getting at, there are systems that address dickish/illegal behavior, smashing someone face in for it is thuggish

certainly sounds like it

the fact you cant disassociate hurting your family from nicking your tv makes me worry about your decision make ability...or how much you love you tv

your last point is what im getting at, there are systems that address dickish/illegal behavior, smashing someone face in for it is thuggish
no sorry your lost. u used the example of someone stealing my TV and my shooting them. i said yes because my TV is in my house, my family is in my house, so anyone coming into to my house to rob me is going to get shot if i had a gun. its not disproportionate. its a reasonable reaction. disassociating my TV , from my home then from my family is just an exercise in absolutes, which life doesnt work that way. u needed a better example. just saying

Half off you talk like you've never played rugby. When playing against friends or people you know, you always get behaviour like this. I get that's rugby as a whole doesn't want to see this on TV but at lower levels it's a common thing to see. The banter, silly actions from opposition you know it's always a great crack.

Let's not pretend it's not funny if your mate did it in a pub.

Are you ******* kidding me? This ain't a 5 a side touch rugby friendly at the town's square between high school students.
This was a pro athlete touching someone's genitalia when that someone clearly didn't want to be touched, on live tv, on one of the biggest rugby events of the year. We ask a LOT from another athletes and expect them to set the example, especially when they are on the field.

The double standard is appalling. Folau says something i consider appalling, but he does so on his personal instagram and we all condemn him, most of the people actually ask for his head. Fine.
But now someone commits sexual assault on live tv and some of the same people want a slap on the wrist?
Hypocrites.

Genitalia should be, for every and any intent and purposes, treated as eye-gouging. You just do not go there. And i'm not talking from a macho/gender/whatever point of view, i am talking from a medical and physiological point of view.

Are you ******* kidding me? This ain't a 5 a side touch rugby friendly at the town's square between high school students.
This was a pro athlete touching someone's genitalia when that someone clearly didn't want to be touched, on live tv, on one of the biggest rugby events of the year. We ask a LOT from another athletes and expect them to set the example, especially when they are on the field.

The double standard is appalling. Folau says something i consider appalling, but he does so on his personal instagram and we all condemn him, most of the people actually ask for his head. Fine.
But now someone commits sexual assault on live tv and some of the same people want a slap on the wrist?
Hypocrites.

Genitalia should be, for every and any intent and purposes, treated as eye-gouging. You just do not go there. And i'm not talking from a macho/gender/whatever point of view, i am talking from a medical and physiological point of view.
Toats agree. I dunno what rugby some y'all been playing but this kind of behaviour never happened at any of my games. Guys never fondled each other "just for a laugh" when u played. Save that sht for the privacy of your bedroom

I'd say the full 12 weeks would have been best. The mitigating circumstances just aren't true but at the same time the law is written in a way that implies the person touching the genitals is doing so with the aim of causing harm, Marler quite clearly wasn't trying to hurt AWJ, just wind him up. Acceptable? No but also sexual assault has varying degrees as with any other form of assault.

I think it's bizarre how low the French props punishment was though.

I'd say the full 12 weeks would have been best. The mitigating circumstances just aren't true but at the same time the law is written in a way that implies the person touching the genitals is doing so with the aim of causing harm, Marler quite clearly wasn't trying to hurt AWJ, just wind him up. Acceptable? No but also sexual assault has varying degrees as with any other form of assault.

I think it's bizarre how low the French props punishment was though.

Too right. I would have no issues with the 12 weeks having been applied. However, it does seem bizarre that the French prop, who was presumably intending to cause harm, only got 3 weeks.

Latest posts