New Zealand
Club or Nation
Hurricanes
nzol7o.png

Round 3 Fixtures

Wellington.png
Versus%20H-Cup.png
North Harbour.png

Westpac Stadium, Wellington (Wednesday, 06:35 GMT / 19:35 NZST)

Canterbury.png
Versus%20H-Cup.png
Waikato.png

Rugby League Park, Christchurch (Thursday, 06:05 GMT / 19:35 NZST)

Counties Manukau.png
Versus%20H-Cup.png
Tasman.png

Growers Stadium, Pukekohe (Friday, 06:35 GMT / 19:35 NZST)

Auckland.png
Versus%20H-Cup.png
Bay%20of%20Plenty.png

Eden Park, Auckland (Saturday, 01:35 GMT / 14:35 NZST)

North Harbour.png
Versus%20H-Cup.png
Northland.png

North Harbour Stadium, Albany (Saturday, 04:35 GMT / 17:35 NZST)

Southland.png
Versus%20H-Cup.png
Taranaki.png

Rugby Park Stadium, Invercargill (Saturday, 06:35 GMT / 19:35 NZST)

Wellington.png
Versus%20H-Cup.png
Manawatu.png

Westpac Stadium, Wellington Sunday, 01:35 GMT / 14:35 NZST)

Otago.png
Versus%20H-Cup.png
Hawkes Bay.png

Forsyth Barr Stadium, Dunedin (Sunday, 03:35 GMT / Sunday, 16:35 NZST)

Early start to the round this week and a few teams playing twice (feel free to edit Admin):

Wellington V Harbour 28/8 @ 7.35
Canterbury v Waikato 29/8 @ 7.35
Counties v Tasman 30/8 @ 7.35
Aucland v BOP 31/8 @ 2.35
Harbour v Northland 31/8 @ 5.35
Southland v Taranaki 31/8 @ 7.35
Wellington v Manawatu 1/9 @ 2.35
Otago v HB (Shield game) 1/9 @ 4.35

Early picks for this week subject to teams (went 5/7 last week I think)
Wellington 20+
Canterbury 15+
Counties
BOP to upset Auckland EDIT - seen the teams named - don't think BOP can beat this Auckland side! Auckland by 10+
Northland
Southland
Wellington 25+
Otago to hold the shield!

Last edited:
Game 1 Wellington v Harbour (Copying this over from the previous thread)

Notable changes for Wellington - Thrush back and captain, Vito rested on the bench & Levave starts at 8, TJ Perenara to start, Ngatai shifts in from 15 to 12 & Treeby benched, Proctor shifts from wing to fullback, Ardie Savea gets a start at 7 & Shields starts at 6.

Wellington: Matt Proctor, Joe Hill, Tim Bateman, Charlie Ngatai, Ambrose Curtis, Lima Sopoaga, TJ Perenara, Faifili Levave, Ardie Savea, Brad Shields, Vaea Fifita, Jeremy Thrush (c), Jeff Toomaga-Allen, Motu Matu'u, Reggie Goodes. Reserves: John Schwalger, Eric Sione, Kaipati Gaualofa, Adam Hill, Victor Vito, Frae Wilson, Shaun Treeby

Harbour have made 11 changes. Saili will start as will captain James Parsons.

North Harbour: James Semple, Jona Tuitoga, Francis Saili, Tua Saseve, Tevita Li, Codey Rei, Bryn Hall, Viliami Fihaki, Nepia Fox Matamua, Irwin Finau, Brandon Nansen, Chris Smith, Ropate Rinikama, James Parsons (c), Alex Woonton. Reserves: Adrian Smith, Greg Pleasants, Malakai Ravulo, Scott Uren, Luke Hamilton, Jon Elrick, Nafi Tuitavake

Wellington should smoke them. Only question is will they be able to beat the points??? 25+?? Chances are they will so long as the weather is good. I think this Wellington team is a massive contender to win the ITM cup this year. Their team stacks up nicely with lots of fringe ABs but very few starting ones. In particular they have several guys really pushing to get AB positions like Vito, Shields, Thrush, TJ, even Bateman, A Savea, Toomaga-Allen for end of year tour possibilities. Add to that quality players like J Hill, Proctor, Ngatai, Matu'u, Goodes, Schwalger, Treeby, Sopoaga in all likelihood I see this years premiership as a Canterbury Wellington final and I'd give the edge to Wellington!

Article in stuff saying Wellington were very dissapointed with last weeks performance and the coach wants them to run from everywhere. Weather looks pretty good hear in Wellington at the moment. Should be a good game to watch.

Game 2 Canterbury v Waikato:

Canterbury get Slade back and will play him at 15 and L Whitelock who will play No. 8.

Canterbury: 1.Paea Fa'anunu, 2.Ben Funell, 3.Nepo Laulala, 4.Joel Everson, 5.Matt Symons, 6.George Whitelock (captain), 7.Matt Todd, 8.Luke Whitelock, 9.Willi Heinz, 10.Tyler Bleyendaal, 11.Milford Keresoma, 12.Ryan Crotty, 13.Adam Whitelock, 14.Patrick Osborne, 15.Colin Slade.
Reserves: 16.Marcel Cummings-Toone, 17.Sione Faletau, 18.Luke Katene, 19.Jordan Taufua, 20.Andy Ellis, 21.Jamie Verran, 22.Belgium Tuatagaloa.

Waikato have lost their captain Vant Leven for the season replaced by Adam Burn. Tameifuna gets a start. Jack Lam is out.

Waikato:
1.Toby Smith, 2.Brayden Mitchell, 3.Ben Tameifuna, 4.Brian Alainu'uese, 5.Sam Kilgour, 6.Rory Grice, 7.Zak Hohneck, 8.Adam Burn, 9.Kylem O'Donnell, 10.Wharenui Hawera, 11.Save Tokula, 12.Joe Perawiti, 13.Jackson Willison, 14.Semisi Masirewa, 15.Joe Webber.
Reserves: 16.Vance Elliott, 17.Paul Alo-Emile, 18.Nick Ross, 19.Jono Armstrong, 20.Mick Snowden, 21.Tim Mikkelson, 22.Trent Renata.

Can only see a Canterbury win here as Waikato have looked pretty average this year so far and Canterbury have looked good and are stcked with good players!

Afeaki missing from the Harbour squad? Maybe the injury to Franks is worse than they first thought?

Afeaki missing from the Harbour squad? Maybe the injury to Franks is worse than they first thought?
Mmmm didnt notice that but yes he looks to be out (after only returning last week). I havent heard anything though and doubt it would have anything to do with Franks as Afeaki needs game time.

Guys, I updated the OP (Thanks for starting the thread). Unfortunately, I haven't had enough time to do a nice preview but next week I'll try to get a proper thread started again. Apologies.

Cheers mate.

Last night Wellington got up by ONLY 35 - 27
Crazy thing is I had to stop watching after 30min when the score was 21 - 0 to Wellington. (not quite sure how the game turned so much - to the point it seemed that NH actually had a good chance of winning)
The one thing that struck me in the first 30 min was about 6 of 7 Wellington lineouts going astray. Matuu was rubbish along with his jumpers. I felt like if they'd worked their lineout properly they could have been up by 40 in the first half.

Anyway Wellginton won and grabbed a bonus point - got a feeling they will get a drilling during the week though and expect them to come out and smash Manawatu

Harbour very unlucky not to take the losing bonus point.

Harbour just weren't in it first 30 minutes and I thought it was going to be a pantsing, then some individual brilliance from Saili and Tevita Li brings it to within 7 by half time and momentum was with Harbour. Second half was fairly even, Wellington deserved the win, hopefully Harbour can take the momentum from that game into Saturday vs Northland, need to get a win on the board soon. In any case, big improvement from the Counties game.

Game 2 Canterbury v Waikato:

Canterbury get Slade back and will play him at 15 and L Whitelock who will play No. 8.

Canterbury: 1.Paea Fa'anunu, 2.Ben Funell, 3.Nepo Laulala, 4.Joel Everson, 5.Matt Symons, 6.George Whitelock (captain), 7.Matt Todd, 8.Luke Whitelock, 9.Willi Heinz, 10.Tyler Bleyendaal, 11.Milford Keresoma, 12.Ryan Crotty, 13.Adam Whitelock, 14.Patrick Osborne, 15.Colin Slade.
Reserves: 16.Marcel Cummings-Toone, 17.Sione Faletau, 18.Luke Katene, 19.Jordan Taufua, 20.Andy Ellis, 21.Jamie Verran, 22.Belgium Tuatagaloa.

Waikato have lost their captain Vant Leven for the season replaced by Adam Burn. Tameifuna gets a start. Jack Lam is out.

Waikato:
1.Toby Smith, 2.Brayden Mitchell, 3.Ben Tameifuna, 4.Brian Alainu'uese, 5.Sam Kilgour, 6.Rory Grice, 7.Zak Hohneck, 8.Adam Burn, 9.Kylem O'Donnell, 10.Wharenui Hawera, 11.Save Tokula, 12.Joe Perawiti, 13.Jackson Willison, 14.Semisi Masirewa, 15.Joe Webber.
Reserves: 16.Vance Elliott, 17.Paul Alo-Emile, 18.Nick Ross, 19.Jono Armstrong, 20.Mick Snowden, 21.Tim Mikkelson, 22.Trent Renata.

Can only see a Canterbury win here as Waikato have looked pretty average this year so far and Canterbury have looked good and are stcked with good players!

Gonna be a cold night down in Christchurch as well so expect a bit of a forward battle and maybe a slightly dull game. Still think Canterbury will have way too much for Waikato though.

Highlights link for the Harbour Wellington game for those who are interested. Someone needs to tell TVNZ to stop including the highlights of the kicks at goal though unless they are crucial....

http://tvnz.co.nz/rugby-news/highlights-wellington-v-harbour-video-5547147

Check out Tevita Li's try for Harbour and then watch some more highlights on this Youtube clip - particulalrly love the Try he scores at 2:21 and the fend at 3:13

Last edited by a moderator:

Counties Manukau: 1. Sam Aiono, 2. Hika Elliot, 3. Jarrod Firth, 4.Ronald Raaymakers, 5. Jimmy Tupou, 6. Adam Cathcart, 7. Maama Vaipulu, 8. Fritz Lee (c), 9. Augustine Pulu, 10. Baden Kerr, 11. Tony Pulu, 12. Bundee Aki, 13. Rey Lee-Lo, 14. Frank Halai, 15. Sherwin Stowers.
Reserves: 16. Michael Lea, 17.Simon Lemalu , 18. Johnny Kawau, 19.Sean Reidy , 20. Kane Hancy, 21.Sam Vaka 22.Ahsee Tuala.

Tasman: 1. Tim Perry, 2. Quentin MacDonald, 3. Sila Puafisi, 4. Alex Ainley, 5. Joe Wheeler, 6. Liam Squire, 7. Shane Christie (c), 8. Tevita Koloamatangi, 9. Mark Swanepoel, 10. Hayden Cripps, 11. James Lowe, 12. Tom Marshall, 13. Kieron Fonotia, 14. Bryce Heem, 15. Marty Banks.
Reserves: 16. Francis Smith, 17. Siua Halanukonuka, 18. Tevita Cavubati, 19. Gary Redmond, 20. Kaide Whiting, 21. Billy Guyton, 22. Mitchell Scott.

Tasman and Counties both punch above their weights in my opinion. I wouldnt be surprised if Tasman upset Counties tonight. They won the same fixture here last year. However my lean is to Counties. Last week they showed good form. I think they will match Tasman in the forwards but their backs will be dominant.

Counties by 7

Tasman gave Counties a real touch-up, getting a 40-20 bonus point win, with fullback Marty Banks scoring 20 points on his ITM Cup debut.

There were some outstanding tries scored, including a great midfield switch-play.

Three matches in and Tasman still have not lost a line-out on their own throw.

I didnt get to watch the game but heard Tasman were extremely clinical. Not a single line out lost? WOW. Maybe Quentin MacDonald should be considered a bit more at Super Rugby level? That's pretty impressive.

I wondered if an upset could be on the cards but am quite surprised to here Counties got drilled by so much! It has always been their downfall though, coming up against teams who are clinical in the forwards. Tends to force the expansive Counties players into making too many mistakes! Well done Tasman!

Just caught the last 20 of the Southland - Taranaki game. Some very tired bodies out there. Not sure whether it was fatigue or not, but felt Southland were very poor at half back and it cost them a few opportunities to take the game at the end. Taranaki's Nemia Soqeta had a few good drives and looks like a big back row, albeit against a tired Southland pack.

Its the first of the cup I've seen this year. Looking at the table, perhaps it was a tale two struggling teams?

Just caught the last 20 of the Southland - Taranaki game. Some very tired bodies out there. Not sure whether it was fatigue or not, but felt Southland were very poor at half back and it cost them a few opportunities to take the game at the end. Taranaki's Nemia Soqeta had a few good drives and looks like a big back row, albeit against a tired Southland pack.

Its the first of the cup I've seen this year. Looking at the table, perhaps it was a tale two struggling teams?

It was one of the worst games of the season so far :p Southland are typically a bit one dimensional on attack, and Taranaki haven't shown much either this year.

I didnt get to watch the game but heard Tasman were extremely clinical. Not a single line out lost? WOW. Maybe Quentin MacDonald should be considered a bit more at Super Rugby level? That's pretty impressive.

I wondered if an upset could be on the cards but am quite surprised to here Counties got drilled by so much! It has always been their downfall though, coming up against teams who are clinical in the forwards. Tends to force the expansive Counties players into making too many mistakes! Well done Tasman!

one of the most underrated players in NZ rugby. Was epic for the crusaders coming off the bench for Flynn, moved to the blues in search of more game time then ended up being behind james parsons and kev. when he does get on the pitch however he always gives it his all, i rate him highly

francis saili is a game winner.. what an impact he made in the harbor game, hes running is sublime always sneaking through the tightest of gaps, and his kicking game is ridiculous which id never really noticed before! Give him a go against Argentina common

WoW! Simply fantastic Shield game. Congrats HB!!

So The Shield goes from a province that hadn't had it for 56 years, to one that hasn't had it for 47 years...

Such is the joy, the glory and the anguish that is the Ranfurly Shield

Latest posts