• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Is the Rugby Union a popular sport in Australia?

Yes it is, and I get the impression sometimes, talking to people on this forum, and on others, that some of them don't quite get just how big it is....

eu.gif

Yes, an enormous country but virtually deserted, just 21 million people for 7 millions km2, and most concentrated on the coasts.

Yes, an enormous country but virtually deserted, just 21 million people for 7 millions km2, and most concentrated on the coasts.

yeh I was SHOCKED when I read that stat (on wikipedia...) a few months ago !! I thought for sure at least 50mil. There's more than twice as many English people.

It's like Canada, a country very large but uncrowded due to the hostile climate. Canada it's very cold, so the vast country is inhabited only in the south, on the border with USA. Australia is a hot country in the center so only the coasts are inhabited.

Cheers

yeh I was SHOCKED when I read that stat (on wikipedia...) a few months ago !! I thought for sure at least 50mil. There's more than twice as many English people.

What you was doing at school then? I think in England live ~50m people and ~60m in UK. However, based on your comments, it's quite clear to which kind of school... Study program should have been easier for mentally challenged.

Talked to Australian guy some time ago in the pub in Vilnius, according to his view, top sports in Australia are:

1. AFL
2. Rugby League
3. Cricket
4. Tennis, swimming or football
5. and only then Rugby Union

What you was doing at school then? I think in England live ~50m people and ~60m in UK. However, based on your comments, it's quite clear to which kind of school... Study program should have been easier for mentally challenged.

Talked to Australian guy some time ago in the pub in Vilnius, according to his view, top sports in Australia are:

1. AFL
2. Rugby League
3. Cricket

where the hell are these random vicious attacks against me coming from ?!! :D :D
And I'm not sure where you learned your English, but at very least have some coherence with your attacks ! You can't attack someone about his culture knowledge in broken English fella ! :p

Last edited:

1. AFL
2. Rugby League
3. Cricket

WTF?! Soccer more popular than rugby union in Australia? And why then the Wallabies have more followers on Twitter than the Socceroos?

It's like you go to England and ask a supporter of Manchester City if Manchester United is a good team. He will say that's rubbish.

If you talk to a supporter of Bath and ask for Leicester Tigers, will tell you it sucks.

Surely aussie that you spoke in favor of football and tennis, must be a soccer supporter. The Socceros not be more popular than the wallabies, ever!

Wallabies 2 times world champions
Socceros never were and never will be.

Australia is known in sport worldwide for the Wallabies

Cheers

Your arguments are invalid.

In Holland, football is by far the most popular sport despite the fact we won more world championships and olympic gold medals in field hockey, volleyball and ice skating.

Also, just because there are more followers on the Wallabies Twitter account, doesn't say anything. I, for one, am following them and I am a Dutch rugby fan supporting the Springboks.

Your arguments are invalid.

In Holland, football is by far the most popular sport despite the fact we won more world championships and olympic gold medals in field hockey, volleyball and ice skating.

Also, just because there are more followers on the Wallabies Twitter account, doesn't say anything. I, for one, am following them and I am a Dutch rugby fan supporting the Springboks.

I also follow Wallabies, why the followers of Socceros only be Aussies? and why the followers of Wallabies only be foreigners?

I have a friend who lives in Sydney and always said that soccer is unpopular there, rugby league and rugby union are more popular in Australia than soccer.

Cheers

To be honest, I don't see soccer as a popular sport in Australia.

However, one country can be successful in one sport but that doesn't mean that it's a popular sport for that nation. They're too different things, don't mix them up.

1. AFL
2. Rugby League
3. Cricket

What a hell is doing an Ozzy in a pub in Vilnus??:buddies: and talking about sports popularity? that's some kind of bizarre thing...

I also follow Wallabies, why the followers of Socceros only be Aussies? and why the followers of Wallabies only be foreigners?

I have a friend who lives in Sydney and always said that soccer is unpopular there, rugby league and rugby union are more popular in Australia than soccer.

Cheers

For the exact same reason you just mentioned. The Wallabies are a top team. They play New Zealand, South Africa, Argentina every year and play the Northern teams almost every year.

The Socceroos never play big teams. For qualification they play in Asia when they meet with Korea, Iran, China, Japan etc. The matches are less significant than the Rugby Championship, the Lions Tour (which on its own could be a big reason a lot of people follow the Twitter account lately) and Spring/November Tours. All games are much more prestigious than the football games the Socceroos play.

For the exact same reason you just mentioned. The Wallabies are a top team. They play New Zealand, South Africa, Argentina every year and play the Northern teams almost every year.

The Socceroos never play big teams. For qualification they play in Asia when they meet with Korea, Iran, China, Japan etc. The matches are less significant than the Rugby Championship, the Lions Tour (which on its own could be a big reason a lot of people follow the Twitter account lately) and Spring/November Tours. All games are much more prestigious than the football games the Socceroos play.

Yeah but soccer is more popular than rugby around the world. The Soccer World Cup looks at more people, and in Asia, the most populated continent in the world, (And where it competes the Socceros) also soccer is more popular than rugby.

So the Socceros must have supporters abroad They are one of the strongest teams of the Asian qualifiers (They participate in the Asian qualifiers).

Ok guys no one who commented on this thread knows more than me about Sports in Australia

1, Rugby Union is a sport mostly played in Australia but its not like a religion to us unlike the Kiwis but many people like me play after rugby league ( the game that Australia dominates at) but a majority of rugby league fans enjoy Rugby Union too.

2. Soccer is the popular sport too due to the Multi-curtural societies who enjoy soccer but the game is mostly played by Europeans in Australia (a.k.a ****) and some Asians like to play soccer but all the islanders like to play both Rugby league and Union

3. AFL is a popular sport but its usually popular near the Melbourne Area

Ok guys no one who commented on this thread knows more than me about Sports in Australia

1, Rugby Union is a sport mostly played in Australia but its not like a religion to us unlike the Kiwis but many people like me play after rugby league ( the game that Australia dominates at) but a majority of rugby league fans enjoy Rugby Union too.

2. Soccer is the popular sport too due to the Multi-curtural societies who enjoy soccer but the game is mostly played by Europeans in Australia (a.k.a ****) and some Asians like to play soccer but all the islanders like to play both Rugby league and Union

3. AFL is a popular sport but its usually popular near the Melbourne Area

I'm terrified to know what that a.k.a was.

Yes it is, and I get the impression sometimes, talking to people on this forum, and on others, that some of them don't quite get just how big it is....

eu.gif

Wow, didn't realise you can drive from Brisbane to Warsaw in just a few hours :)

WTF?! Soccer more popular than rugby union in Australia? And why then the Wallabies have more followers on Twitter than the Socceroos?

It's like you go to England and ask a supporter of Manchester City if Manchester United is a good team. He will say that's rubbish.

If you talk to a supporter of Bath and ask for Leicester Tigers, will tell you it sucks.

Surely aussie that you spoke in favor of football and tennis, must be a soccer supporter. The Socceros not be more popular than the wallabies, ever!

Wallabies 2 times world champions
Socceros never were and never will be.

Australia is known in sport worldwide for the Wallabies

Cheers

You are comparing the Wallabies and the Socceroos; a comparison which others have already called invalid.

If you compare playing numbers (not a good comparison, admittedly) soccer is on top.

I think most telling is that soccer in Australia actually has a national league and rugby in Australia has never been able to sustain one. I think this shows that there are at least more fanatical soccer fans than fanatical rugby fans.

I also think you can't really compare Swimming and Tennis with team sports. It's not like you would get 80,000 to the Olympic Stadium to watch some swimming.

Ok buddy, if you say so...

130919042841335316.jpg

Yeah. Posting one picture doesn't overcome centuries of social animosity between the two codes. I hope you don't really think because two rugby players posed with a NRL jersey that all that disappears? Especially when one of the players in the picture actually considered playing league. The animosity comes from some of the fans, not the players.

You are comparing the Wallabies and the Socceroos; a comparison which others have already called invalid.

If you compare playing numbers (not a good comparison, admittedly) soccer is on top.

I think most telling is that soccer in Australia actually has a national league and rugby in Australia has never been able to sustain one. I think this shows that there are at least more fanatical soccer fans than fanatical rugby fans.

I also think you can't really compare Swimming and Tennis with team sports. It's not like you would get 80,000 to the Olympic Stadium to watch some swimming.

ARU have 5 teams in Super Rugby, the rugby clubs tournament more competitive around the world. And you're talking about the Fu**ing Australian Soccer League????

Super Rugby is like the UEFA Champions League in Rugby Union, teams like Brumbies or Queensland Reds are famous all over the world of rugby, and you're talking about the Australian Soccer League??? that in the soccer world anyone heard of them? This is ridiculous...

Yeah. Posting one picture doesn't overcome centuries of social animosity between the two codes. I hope you don't really think because two rugby players posed with a NRL jersey that all that disappears? Especially when one of the players in the picture actually considered playing league. The animosity comes from some of the fans, not the players.

There are differences between the supporters, I know. Especially for the supporters of Rugby League who always criticize Rugby Union, they say that Rugby Union is too slow, they say that Rugby Union lose a lot of time on set pieces, and they say that in Rugby Union just it's necessary to have a good kicker to win a game.

League supporters say crap, but the most important part of the game, the players, there is a good relationship, there is camaraderie:

Cross-code training session between Melbourne Storm and Melbourne Rebels:

130920054947996127.jpg

130920054945483738.jpg

130920054944188547.jpg

Cheers

Latest posts