• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Ireland Squad

I love the shithousery of us playing a behind closed doors game against Portugal to get Johnny some game time.

Should it be allowed? Probably not. Would it be counted towards serving Johnny's ban if he didn't play? Absolutely not. What a beautiful technicality.

I love the shithousery of us playing a behind closed doors game against Portugal to get Johnny some game time.

Should it be allowed? Probably not. Would it be counted towards serving Johnny's ban if he didn't play? Absolutely not. What a beautiful technicality.

Don't think it was a full game, more each team gets x amount of set pieces and running opposed moves against new opposition.

England have done similar vs Georgia and we regularly use the u20s for similar.

Anyone hear anything about how it went?

Don't think it was a full game, more each team gets x amount of set pieces and running opposed moves against new opposition.

England have done similar vs Georgia and we regularly use the u20s for similar.

Anyone hear anything about how it went?
Saw a vid of our scrum crushing theirs, and Niall Horan said this is the team to take Ireland far. Nothing else though.

How come Farrell is naming his squad so late?

Long tradition of Irish coaches.

I actually don't really understand why other coaches name their squads so early (obviously things like the EPS can play a role), might as well give yourself as much time as possible.

Groundhog en route to Andy Farrell's location, while he should be on the way to Coombes to be his rebound.

5 lads dropped: Caolin Blade, Gavin Coombes, Calvin Nash, Jamie Osborne and Kieran Treadwell.
To be fair none are shocks. Gav was always behind 4 and 5th spot will go to Ryan Baird. No real shock only I suppose Cian Prendergast wasn't released too.

Treadwell is probably the most disappointed, featured heavily during the cycle and never did much wrong. Big Joe hit fitness and form at a great time though, serious group of locks to choose from.

Treadwell is probably the most disappointed, featured heavily during the cycle and never did much wrong. Big Joe hit fitness and form at a great time though, serious group of locks to choose from.
But that is same as Coombes. Gav has probably been on top of his game and would make any other nation but realistically 17/18 forwards max go.
9 are probably front row so 8/9 in back 5. 4 locks in Joe Mc, Ryan, Beirne and Henderson were cemented as were starting backrow of POM, JVDF and Doris. I don't think Conan should go but he has credit in bank of squads and is what Farrell wants so that is 8. The last guy needs to be a hybrid and while I think Gav could have done the lock role too I suppose it is Ryan Bairds spot to loose.
The biggest worry looking at squad is if VDF goes down we are goosed as there is no 7 in that squad. POM is next in line there but like for me Hodnett is only other real 7 capable of doing a real 7 job.

Presumably Frawley, Stockdale/Earls, Loughman/Kilcoyne, Prendergast and Tom Stewart will be released after England game.

Whatever about whether he should start, I don't know how you could think Conan shouldn't travel. Every since he's had the cyst removed from his pituitary gland he's been back to his best.

I think we have 5 guys who are top class backrows in at least one position in VdF, Doris, POM, Conan and Baird. Once one of Doris or VdF is on the pitch out of those 5 you can make a backrow that can deal with, if not dominate, everyone.

Whatever about whether he should start, I don't know how you could think Conan shouldn't travel. Every since he's had the cyst removed from his pituitary gland he's been back to his best.
As I think Coombes is a better player. But accept that is Munster bias. As I said I don't argue it as I see Farrells point. But think the 3 starters are miles ahead of the rest at this juncture. For example Doris at 8 is miles ahead of the rest, VDF is miles ahead of any other 7 and POM while not so much miles ahead is a good bit ahead but part of that is based on balance as a whole. Doris can play 6 and Conan at 8 but we loose a bit. And that is no reflection on Conan just Doris is the best 8. And I don't argue Baird going either as I said I not here slating Farrell for picking Conan or Baird ahead of Coombes

Rumours are that Kelleher out of RWC is the mumblings. Not sure how true. And also another unnamed player is very doubtful (and it isn't Conan)

Injured Irish trio will 'definitely' be available for World Cup selection https://the42.ie/6145668

Hamstrings are tricky injuries and Kelleher has had a horrible run but hopefully he can be fit. Himself and Sheehan is up there as one of the best hooker duos around.