• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Ireland Squad Announced For RBS 6 Nations

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (feicarsinn @ Jan 20 2010, 10:01 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Incorrect. If we lose Flannery, Hayes, Heaslip, Sexton or Kearney the team would be massively weakened We don't have a second tighhead, Cronin is unproven, no second no.8, ROG is cack and Kearney is far too good to be easily replaced.[/b]

I think you are selling us a bit short.

Cronin has it all, I don't want to call him the next Keith Wood but he is the next Keith Wood. If he has to start 2 or 3 games it will be a great thing for Irish rugby.

Tighthead you are spot on, Ross and Buckley are cack, Ross is way overweight and nothing but a good scrummager, Buckley nothing but a liability at scrumtime. Court is next best but plays all his rugby at loosehead.

Heaslip, Leamy is a fine replacement although injured, 6. Ferris 7. Jennings 8. Wallace would be a fine backrow, Wally has shown he can play 8 to a high standard, although Heaslip would be a loss.

ROG may be cack, but can do a job as he showed in the 6N last year.

When it comes to Kearney I agree, but guys like Earls, Fitzgerald and Bowe can all play FB to a high standard.

1. Healy
2. Cronin
3. Court
4. O'Callaghan
5. O'Connell
6. Ferris
7. Jennings
8. Wallace

9. O'Leary
10. O'Gara
11. Earls
12. D'arcy/Wallace
13. BOD
14. Horgan
15. Bowe

16. Varley
17. Horan
18. Cullen
19. O'Brien
20. Reddan/Boss/Stringer
21. Humphries
22. D'arcy/Wallace

I'd hardly call that a terrible 22, I think we have more depth than you give us credit for. BOD and Hayes are probably the only irreplaceables tbh.

If Heaslip was injured I'd rather have O'Brien or Henry at 8 and keep Wallace at 7.

Henry's a proper 8 and he's been playing well daecent, he's in the squad. Why not use him.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (feicarsinn @ Jan 21 2010, 10:42 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE
Sexton hasn't even secured his place ahead of O'Gara[/b]
He is a far, far better player than O'Gara. Very few would argue with that. He can run, kick, pass and tackle, two of which O'Gara is useless at.
[/b][/quote]
No he's not. He has greater potential than ROG ever did, but ROG is better despite the tackle weakness: delivery under pressure. Sexton did it last season at HEC level, but ROG has been doing it for years for Munster + in the 6N. His Big Mistake on the Lions tour is debatable.

The change will come, but only Kidney decides. Could be a couple of years. Patience, glasshoppa!

Unproven basically. You are right though, options all over the place. We have an embarrassment of quality hooker and back row forwards to be honest. If given international game time, I really think Best, Flannery, Cronin, Varley and maybe Denis Fogarty could be international hookers. Plenty of Depth when it comes to wingers and Looseheads too.

We really need a tighthead though, with no sign of any youngster being ready for 2011. Declan Fitzpatrick our best hope?

Second choice scrumhalf - Who is it? ATM I think it is Isaac Boss :eek:

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (shtove @ Jan 20 2010, 11:13 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (feicarsinn @ Jan 21 2010, 10:42 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Sexton hasn't even secured his place ahead of O'Gara[/b]
He is a far, far better player than O'Gara. Very few would argue with that. He can run, kick, pass and tackle, two of which O'Gara is useless at.
[/b][/quote]
No he's not. He has greater potential than ROG ever did, but ROG is better despite the tackle weakness: delivery under pressure. Sexton did it last season at HEC level, but ROG has been doing it for years for Munster + in the 6N. His Big Mistake on the Lions tour is debatable.

The change will come, but only Kidney decides. Could be a couple of years. Patience, glasshoppa!
[/b][/quote]

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div>
His Big Mistake on the Lions tour is debatable[/b]
How? He seriously f***ed up. Poor kick followed by one of the stupidest things I've seen in the test arena.

Then of course there's the world cup during which was a shambles. Someone who folds in the two biggest competitions of his career is hardly what I'd call a great man under pressure.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (feicarsinn @ Jan 21 2010, 11:27 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
How? He seriously f***ed up. Poor kick followed by one of the stupidest things I've seen in the test arena.

Then of course there's the world cup during which was a shambles. Someone who folds in the two biggest competitions of his career is hardly what I'd call a great man under pressure.
[/b][/quote]
Simple: he wanted to win the series, the rest of the Lions folded, including Tommy Bowe who failed to follow up the kick.

RWC 07 was somebody's fault, but not his.

That first bit had better be tounge in cheek, otherwise it's one of the most stupid comments I've everread on this forum.

O'Gara was probably our worst player at the world cup.Definetely the most notably poor.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (shtove @ Jan 20 2010, 11:59 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (feicarsinn @ Jan 21 2010, 11:27 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

[/b][/quote]
Simple: he wanted to win the series, the rest of the Lions folded, including Tommy Bowe who failed to follow up the kick.

[/b][/quote]

I wouldn't bet the house on it!

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (MunsterMachine @ Jan 20 2010, 10:33 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (feicarsinn @ Jan 20 2010, 10:01 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Incorrect. If we lose Flannery, Hayes, Heaslip, Sexton or Kearney the team would be massively weakened We don't have a second tighhead, Cronin is unproven, no second no.8, ROG is cack and Kearney is far too good to be easily replaced.[/b]
Partially incorrect. Cronin is a very good player even if he is not proven at international level, Court can replace Hayes in most aspects apart from lifting, Leamy isn't far behind Heaslip and pushed him out of the starting team against Scotland last year, Sexton hasn't even secured his place ahead of O'Gara but agree with Kearney not being replaceable...
[/b][/quote]
Lets not forget Best is as good as Fla. Court, Healy can play on both sides and Wilkinson will all be pushing the bull.
Heaslip can be replaced by Leamy and I sure Sean O'Brien will be more than capable if he get chance with Leinster to show he can play 8.
ROG is on a level par with Sexton and to consider him irreplaceable after 2 caps is nonsense.
Kearney while he'd be a big loss Geordan Murphy is a capable replacement as is Tommy Bowe at 15 or Earls to a lesser extent but there is options

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (munstermuffin @ Jan 21 2010, 01:21 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (MunsterMachine @ Jan 20 2010, 10:33 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (feicarsinn @ Jan 20 2010, 10:01 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Partially incorrect. Cronin is a very good player even if he is not proven at international level, Court can replace Hayes in most aspects apart from lifting, Leamy isn't far behind Heaslip and pushed him out of the starting team against Scotland last year, Sexton hasn't even secured his place ahead of O'Gara but agree with Kearney not being replaceable...
[/b][/quote]
Lets not forget Best is as good as Fla. Court, Healy can play on both sides and Wilkinson will all be pushing the bull.
Heaslip can be replaced by Leamy and I sure Sean O'Brien will be more than capable if he get chance with Leinster to show he can play 8.
ROG is on a level par with Sexton and to consider him irreplaceable after 2 caps is nonsense.
Kearney while he'd be a big loss Geordan Murphy is a capable replacement as is Tommy Bowe at 15 or Earls to a lesser extent but there is options
[/b][/quote]
Geordan hasnt even made the squad...

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (An Tarbh @ Jan 21 2010, 12:19 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (shtove @ Jan 20 2010, 11:59 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (feicarsinn @ Jan 21 2010, 11:27 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

[/b][/quote]

[/b][/quote]

I wouldn't bet the house on it!
[/b][/quote]
Me neither! But I'd like the Sextonites to explain how ROG was at fault for the thrashing our pack received from Georgia.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (MunsterMachine @ Jan 21 2010, 05:05 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (munstermuffin @ Jan 21 2010, 01:21 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (MunsterMachine @ Jan 20 2010, 10:33 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
[/b][/quote]
[/b][/quote]
Geordan hasnt even made the squad...
[/b][/quote]
No because he has dislocated shoulder maybe ;)

As shtove said too how was it ROG's fault for Geogia bashing our pack and as for World Cup as a whole ROG was terrible but so was BOD and all our other players and they were all as bad as ROG.

MunsterMachine to your question I doubt Geordan will be in 6N squad as he will barely be back and Leamy wont be for sure but both will probably tour in Summer although Leamy may not make it back until next season.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (munstermuffin @ Jan 21 2010, 01:21 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
[/b][/quote]
[/b][/quote]

News to me that Healy can play tighthead.

Jaysus this is getting narcy. It's a bit funny though.

All you Munster fans sticking up for Rog and all you Leinster fans trying to blame him for the entire team playing **** in the world cup.

Speaking as a neutral Connacht fan, I'd rather see the Sexton start, but am far happier with RoG's form now than I was going into the AIs and think he's probably better for closing our a match than Sexton. I still have my fingers crossed for Eric Elwood making a return.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Monkeypigeon @ Jan 22 2010, 10:25 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
I still have my fingers crossed for Eric Elwood making a return.[/b]
He's the "three pounds o' haggis" man in the Bill McLaren thread. Excellent player, pity he got stuck with the lean years of Irish rugby.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Monkeypigeon @ Jan 21 2010, 10:25 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Jaysus this is getting narcy. It's a bit funny though.

All you Munster fans sticking up for Rog and all you Leinster fans trying to blame him for the entire team playing **** in the world cup.

Speaking as a neutral Connacht fan, I'd rather see the Sexton start, but am far happier with RoG's form now than I was going into the AIs and think he's probably better for closing our a match than Sexton. I still have my fingers crossed for Eric Elwood making a return.[/b]
Just saying cant blame ROG completely and for a "BAD PLAYER" he sure has achieved alot :p
As for 6Nations I'd start Sexton with ROG maybe appearing for last 20 mins or so depending on what is needed. But great to have options!!!

Ah, see this is the core of the disagreement. While alot of members seem to think it's geat to have options, I'm more of the opinion that it's good that we won't be up **** creek if we lose a man. None of the subs add a great difference in style to the starting team so they're going to be like for like swaps and they're not in the 1st 15 because they're not as good as the boys ahead of them. Hope that made sense.

Oh that's all with the exception of Leo Cullen who is ace and should be starting.