• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Ireland Squad Annouced for 6 Nations

S

shazbooger

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/rugby_unio...ish/7189325.stm

Healy, Buckley, Jackman, Cullen, Heaslip, O'Connor and Sexton all called up.

I'm happy enough with the squad, but hey, squad has nothing to do with it really. He'll only use 17 of these players throughout the tournament. The one worrying quote is ""There's a great opportunity for the squad to get back to the standards we have achieved in the past." **** sake, and there I was thinking we'd be looking to improve on a triple crown and maybe look to win the damn tournament. Apparently not on EOS agenda.

Preferred team for me would be;

1. Buckley
2. Jackman
3. Horan
4. Cullen
5. O'Callaghan
6. Leamy
7. Wallace
8. Heaslip
9. Reddan
10. O'Gara
11. Horgan
12. D'Arcy
13. O'Driscoll
14. Kearney
15. Dempsey

Ireland squad:
Forwards: Neil Best (Belfast Harlequins/Ulster), Rory Best (Belfast Harlequins/Ulster), Tony Buckley (Shannon/Munster), Leo Cullen (Blackrock College/Leinster), Simon Easterby (Llanelli), Jerry Flannery (Shannon/Munster), John Hayes (Bruff/Munster), Cian Healy (Clontarf/Leinster), Jamie Heaslip (Clontarf/Leinster), Marcus Horan (Shannon/Munster), Bernard Jackman (Clontarf/Leinster), Denis Leamy (Cork Constitution/Munster), Donncha O'Callaghan (Cork Constitution/Munster), Johnny O'Connor (Galwegians/Connacht), Mick O'Driscoll (Cork Constitution/Munster), Malcolm O'Kelly (St Mary's College/Leinster), Alan Quinlan (Shannon/Munster), David Wallace (Garryowen/Munster).

Backs: Tommy Bowe (Belfast Harlequins/Ulster), Girvan Dempsey (Terenure College/Leinster), Gordon D'Arcy (Lansdowne/Leinster), Gavin Duffy (Galwegians/Connacht), Luke Fitzgerald (Blackrock College/Leinster), Shane Horgan (Boyne/Leinster), Robert Kearney (UCD/Leinster), Geordan Murphy (Leicester), Brian O'Driscoll (UCD/Leinster), Ronan O'Gara (Cork Constitution/Munster), Eoin Reddan (Wasps), Jonathan Sexton (St Mary's College/Leinster), Peter Stringer (Shannon/Munster), Andrew Trimble (Ballymena/Ulster), Paddy Wallace (Ballymena/Ulster)

Where's Stephen Ferris? Last time I checked, everyone Irish was stark raving mad about this guy.

Soon after, the IRFU de-camped to the Tescos at Cork to launch the defence of their Triple Crown.

irelandjs2.jpg

Where's Stephen Ferris? Last time I checked, everyone Irish was stark raving mad about this guy. [/b]

Dude, how do you stay so hip? That was ages ago!

Bit of a travesty that Jennings isn't included. With EOS asking Simon Easterby to postpone his international retirement this tournament will probably be a step back for Ireland. It's fine and well having the likes of Sexton and Healy in the squad but in reality they'll probably end up holding tackle bags and water bottles for the duration of the tournament.

Easterby's inclusion is a joke imo, wouldn't be surprised if he even starts in the 6N considering he was of our better players in France, still not saying much I know.

No Gleeson or Jennings yet Easterby and O'Connor, any sane rugby coach work that one out and then belt Eddie O'Sullivan with a 7-iron.

Good to see Sexton there but what odds EOS keeps Wallace on the bench?

Where's Stephen Ferris? Last time I checked, everyone Irish was stark raving mad about this guy. [/b]
He's been injured for the last couple of months.

By and large I don't have too many complaints about the squad. Keith Gleeson is unlucky to be left out but at 32 he won't be around for 2011 so it's an understandable decision. Shane Jennings is also unlucky to miss out - there's no way in hell that Best and Easterbunny are playing better than him right now. The only possible reason I can think of that Paddy Wallace and Neil Best are in the squad is that there's an Ulster player quota which must be filled.

I've got a question for whoever's familiar with how it works it Ireland. All those players have dual clubs, does that mean that professional rugby is not a full-time commitment in Ireland? Or do these other clubs like UCD and Belfast Harlequins pay their players a salary as well?

I am very happy Leo, he has been brilliant this season, as has Jackman. Healy is a big suprise but a welcome one.

I've got a question for whoever's familiar with how it works it Ireland. All those players have dual clubs, does that mean that professional rugby is not a full-time commitment in Ireland? Or do these other clubs like UCD and Belfast Harlequins pay their players a salary as well? [/b]

They're all full time professionals and there are 3 tiers in the system
1. International
2. Provincial (Leinster etc.)
3. Club

Provincial and international players are centrally contracted by the IRFU who control the provinces so the clubs don't pay them.
Centrally contracted players are professional (tiers one and two) while those who only play at tier three are amateur. However each player is registered to an AIL Club but the likes of BOD etc. would only play for them to gain fitness after an injury while those on the fringe of provincial teams would play for their club sides in the AIL when not involved with the provincial side.
So the average provincial HEC player never really plays for their club but they do other work for them such as promotion and maybe some coaching with the underage teams. A lot of Irish players would join the club that was linked to their school like Luke Fitzgerald and Leo Cullen at Blackrock RFC while the overseas players usually get assigned to a club unless they have a desire to join a particular one.

I hope that makes sense.

So then there are certain clubs that act as feeders into the provincial level, and the teams they feed and get support back from depends on which province they're in I assume?

So then there are certain clubs that act as feeders into the provincial level, and the teams they feed and get support back from depends on which province they're in I assume? [/b]
Yep pretty much. The Irish club game didnt disapear with the birth of professional rugby, they just werent made professional. All the clubs are still active and competing so its the natural route for a lot of the talent that continues to come through.

Latest posts