• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Heineken Cup Final 2022/23: Leinster Rugby v Stade Rochelais

I thought it was the right call. There was still four minutes to go at that stage. If they got the goal and then La Rochelle, with plenty of time, got a goal in response that would have been game over.

Going for the lineout either eats up time before scoring another penalty and/or if they score a try allows them to get outside the score difference of a kick. Easier to score against 14, even if you only have 14, too.

For A lot of kickers that wouldn't have been a high probability kick either.
I think it's a toss up. If you think you can make it take it. If you can't kick for the corner. But I do think part of what makes teams win when it matters is believing in yourself and someone usually steps up to take that kick. Leinster just didn't have a kicker who could do that today.

I read here "Sexton having a go at Peyper" in a few posts and in my mind it's ROG every time and then it sinks in and I'm just wondering why? Peyper didn't have a good day at the office and it goes both ways but on the balance you'd have to say Leinster had the rub of it.

I didn't think beforehand I had a horse in this race on the one side Leinster has the URC connection but on the other Leyds is an ex Stormer I have a big soft spot for but now I find I am disappointed. Was a cracking match in any event.

Media have picked up on the altercation

I can't think of many incidents similar to these rumours - I'm guessing player vs "spectator" would have different sanctions so it's not gonna be like Hartley getting three months for calling Barnes a cheat

Any ban is in terms of games eligible, so how many games does Ireland and Leinster have before the start of the world cup if it is a long one?

2 Warm up games and that's it. No URC games before start of world cup and then 7 games in the world cup if Ireland make the final. So if anyone and I guess there might be others looking at bans, get one longer than 9-10 weeks then they are done.

What was his Australia form like post-Saracens wake up call?
In my head he was a fraction of his club form but can't really remember tbh

Feel like he needs to be managed a certain way for him to perform at his best, dunno if EJ will inspire him to greatness or just think **** it

If true then surely any ban has to be a long one. Authorities can't be seen to be soft on that.
I think it matters on 2 key parts.
1. How accurate are reports like what happened and in what context.
2. Is hands could be anything from a pointing finger tipping off someone to full on box etc like I know Sexton didn't punch more so my point is it is still very vague.

On half time shemozzle. ROG I think was right to question ref and all.of the scuffle worked for La Rochelle as it galvanised them.
Leinster seemed to go in to shells and argubally Sexton trued to lead from line bit it needed lads in trenches and that is where there was a lack in the last 20.

Feel like he needs to be managed a certain way for him to perform at his best, dunno if EJ will inspire him to greatness or just think **** it
His international form has never been like his club form.

Seems like O'Gara has really worked well with him to get the best from him.

On the referee / Sexton issue, I just have no idea why any Leinster player / team member would have an issue with the ref, he was particularly the 16th man for Leinster in that first half

He is a complex guy. Can't understand though why Aus never built forward style to suit guys like him recently. He is a massive unit

His international form has never been like his club form.

Seems like O'Gara has really worked well with him to get the best from him.

On the referee / Sexton issue, I just have no idea why any Leinster player / team member would have an issue with the ref, he was particularly the 16th man for Leinster in that first half
That is part that confused me. Leinster fans had some hissy last week over refs that some still aren't over it. But this week can't use that. If anything got everything they complained about last week to go their way this week

Hangover isn't too bad because I went home so ******* early.

A lot of joy on twitter to see the billionaire backed, massively budgeted, totally externally grown humble underdogs beat the union backed, massively budgeted primarily homegrown arrogant favourites. Strange what sort of narratives people can make up.

LaR massively ungracious in victory citing a lack of respect? Leinster threw away a virtually guaranteed trophy to prepare for the game. ROG has been watching the Last Dance back clearly. Small team? Do me a favour.

Ross Byrne escaping a lot of criticism despite absolutely shirking his responsibility to step up to the plate and score points in the second half. Bizarre and worrying if that's the standard. We won't win in Europe with him at 10.

Leinster coaching staff also getting it very easy, four consecutive knock out games lost by a total of 6 points? Unlucky, I don't think so, mentally and tactically there's very very few guys who can get this team over the line, and there's a clear pattern of totally losing the rag in these crunch games. I've been very consistent on thinking Lancaster's time has run its course, he did fantastic in the first half of his tenure and they systems he has put in place to bring through talent will be his legacy, much like his time in England. Nienabar can't come soon enough, he's not technically as good but we were technically perfect for 20mins yesterday and it wasn't enough, we need doggedness badly.

It ******* hurts bad though - we are quite firmly the second best team in Europe, and the best team know exactly how to beat us no matter how good we play.

Can't really comment on the Sexton issue, goes back to losing the rag in big games, hopefully it's an apology and a fine or something. Don't think any true rugby fan wants his career to end like that.

Ref - apparently we got the rub of the green, never comes across that way in a stadium obviously and I won't be watching back. I thought he had a couple of real head scratchers when LaR were dominant in the second half, reffing the dominant side favourably is to be expected though. The only call I'm exceptionally annoyed at is the foul play call against Jimmy O'Brien, if I remember correctly that turned from us having the ball in their 22 after enduring great pressure to going right back under pressure and conceding, it was as fair a contest as you could ask for and he nearly won the ball. But we got three points off a very illegal scrum at one point too, shits going to happen.

Thought we had perfect tactics apart from the kick chase, kicking directly to Dulin and giving him time and space to run is very dumb. Literally giving LaR a perfect platform in our half. Tackle counts and territory show how much LaR got out of it.

Might tune in next week and, despite a lot of antics yesterday from their crowd, I hope Munster win. Think I'll go play golf though and forget about rugby until September. It's been a good run on the whole, and I'd always take Irish success over Leinster given the choice but this would have been nice.

Hangover isn't too bad because I went home so ******* early.

A lot of joy on twitter to see the billionaire backed, massively budgeted, totally externally grown humble underdogs beat the union backed, massively budgeted primarily homegrown arrogant favourites. Strange what sort of narratives people can make up.

LaR massively ungracious in victory citing a lack of respect? Leinster threw away a virtually guaranteed trophy to prepare for the game. ROG has been watching the Last Dance back clearly. Small team? Do me a favour.

Ross Byrne escaping a lot of criticism despite absolutely shirking his responsibility to step up to the plate and score points in the second half. Bizarre and worrying if that's the standard. We won't win in Europe with him at 10.

Leinster coaching staff also getting it very easy, four consecutive knock out games lost by a total of 6 points? Unlucky, I don't think so, mentally and tactically there's very very few guys who can get this team over the line, and there's a clear pattern of totally losing the rag in these crunch games. I've been very consistent on thinking Lancaster's time has run its course, he did fantastic in the first half of his tenure and they systems he has put in place to bring through talent will be his legacy, much like his time in England. Nienabar can't come soon enough, he's not technically as good but we were technically perfect for 20mins yesterday and it wasn't enough, we need doggedness badly.

It ******* hurts bad though - we are quite firmly the second best team in Europe, and the best team know exactly how to beat us no matter how good we play.

Can't really comment on the Sexton issue, goes back to losing the rag in big games, hopefully it's an apology and a fine or something. Don't think any true rugby fan wants his career to end like that.

Ref - apparently we got the rub of the green, never comes across that way in a stadium obviously and I won't be watching back. I thought he had a couple of real head scratchers when LaR were dominant in the second half, reffing the dominant side favourably is to be expected though. The only call I'm exceptionally annoyed at is the foul play call against Jimmy O'Brien, if I remember correctly that turned from us having the ball in their 22 after enduring great pressure to going right back under pressure and conceding, it was as fair a contest as you could ask for and he nearly won the ball. But we got three points off a very illegal scrum at one point too, shits going to happen.

Thought we had perfect tactics apart from the kick chase, kicking directly to Dulin and giving him time and space to run is very dumb. Literally giving LaR a perfect platform in our half. Tackle counts and territory show how much LaR got out of it.

Might tune in next week and, despite a lot of antics yesterday from their crowd, I hope Munster win. Think I'll go play golf though and forget about rugby until September. It's been a good run on the whole, and I'd always take Irish success over Leinster given the choice but this would have been nice.
Did say it. Ross showed the dufference between him and Crowley. Crowley has the confidence to step up and is a leader. As you know I'm big Byrne fan but he butchered a few opportunities yesterday too and just isn't a top top 10. Excellent club 10 that will fill in.

But think you highlighted a key part. Leadership. Have rewatched and James Ryan departing was rhe end of the game. He was leading and probably had 30 of his best ever minutes in a Leinster jersey. Alot seemed to collapse then. Lowe had his worst game, JGP was terrible, Ross disappeared and Furlong looked a shadow of himself.
I said all week too last week may have backfired in someways. Confidence was knocked and it put a seed of doubt in.
Van Der Flier was tired early and Conan was replaced as he had given his lot but was Leinster best backrow. Jenking had to come in too early also which took away his impact.
My fear for ye Alpha is Nienabar and Goodman are like chalk and cheese and fact it will be after RWC he arrives next year that may hinder Leinster and following year with Final in South Africa possibly Leinster won't get a chance as good as this.

Also Alpha I can't comment much on this but BOD and a few other Journalists commented on Leinster support. Saying they were there but only really cheered for a kick to corner or a score like and La Rochelle made as much noise throughout. And I felt dame last week. Noise levels it was like Munster outnumbered Leinster and we had support all the way through where Leinster came in and out. Now understandably last week was different. But goes back to as was mentioned. Is there a slight disconnect between players and fans that La Rochelle have that made them more likeable for neutrals. That isn't a criticism either.

Wouldn't say they were ungracious either but more ited their unhappiness at some stuff which was disgraceful but not by Leinster Rugby but by ECPR.

Last edited:
My fear for ye Alpha is Nienabar and Goodman are like chalk and cheese and fact it will be after RWC he arrives next year that may hinder Leinster and following year with Final in South Africa possibly Leinster won't get a chance as good as this
We won't have a better chance than this ever again, we played 5 matches in Lansdowne rd and couldn't get over the line. Three finals losses and three consecutive losses to one team whilst being consistently out-coached shows change is needed though.

I do think yesterday was our last chance for a couple years as favourites any way, there'll be so many moving parts in the next couple of years we'll need some luck.

We won't have a better chance than this ever again, we played 5 matches in Lansdowne rd and couldn't get over the line. Three finals losses and three consecutive losses to one team whilst being consistently out-coached shows change is needed though.

I do think yesterday was our last chance for a couple years as favourites any way, there'll be so many moving parts in the next couple of years we'll need some luck.
Hardest lesson may be what we learned many years ago. It very hard to replace greatest ever 10. Lads will be hyped but that just hardens the fall