• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Hec 2005/2006

Originally posted by loratadine@Jan 14 2006, 09:31 PM
its mathematically impossible
No, we can finnish second in our pool(as we are just now)...just not qualify for the next round.

Well looking ahead to the quarter finals, it's shaping up nicely, realistically I don't think Leinster will make, think Leeds will end up getting the final runner up spot.

As I see it at the moment

Bath v Leeds
Stade Toulousain v Munster
Biarritz v Leicester
Perpignan v Sale

Obviously though other teams have an outside chance of qualification, Leinster need to win at Bath, tall order, Saracens need a win down in Biarritz, again similar task to Leinster, if not tougher, Cardiff need the bp win in Leeds and other favours, Stade Francais will need a bp if they lose tomorow, although they're capable of winning and shouldn't be written off just yet which could throw Leicester into runner-up contention, but defeat tomorow and they'll need a bp win over the Ospreys next week to just get to 20 points which again will need favours from Bath and Biarritz.

Well seeing as Bath seem in-f***ing-capable of beating Leeds in any meaningful fixture, the West Yorkshire shithole could be represented in the semi finals!

That would make baby Jesus cry...

Sale predictably enough were able to get the bonus point win against the Dragons today at Edgeley Park, sets up next weekend's match nicely now with the try count level at 12, Munster know that a bonus point win denying Sale a bonus will see them top the pool, tall order I know, Munster have been stung twice going for bonus point wins against the Dragons, they should go for the win primarily but with Kidney you can never be sure anymore.

Leicester have pretty much wrapped up their qualification after coming from 22-12 down to score 17 unanswered points to beat Stade Français 29-22. Should have been a different story though had Andy Goode had his kicking boots on.

That result could see SF eleiminated although they may still sneak a runners up spot with a bp win and a Leinster loss, although it may also come down to try count with Leeds who still haven't played their match with Calvisano so they may have a similar situation to Leinster a few years back when we had to play Newcastle at Headingly the Wednesday before we were due to play Toulouse in France and we got a hockeying as well.

Just did some quick maths to work out what the quater-finals are at the minute.

Sale (1) V Leinster (8)
Bath (2) V Munster (7)
Toulouse (3) V Perpignan (6)
Biarritz (4) V Leicester (5)

The difference between Biarritz as 4th seeds and Leicester as 5th is a points difference of +4.

Not that this means that much. Just got bored...

Final Round of Pool Fixtures

20/1/06 20:30 P3 ASM Clermont Auvergne v Leicester Tigers Stade Marcel Michelin Sky Sports
20/1/06 20:30 P3 Stade Francais v Ospreys Stade Jean-Bouin Sport +

21/1/06 13:00 P6 Llanelli Scarlets v Toulouse Stradey Park Sky Sports / Sport +
21/1/06 13:00 P6 London Wasps v Edinburgh Gunners Causeway Stadium
21/1/06 16:00 P4 Benetton Treviso v Ulster Stadio Comunale di Monigio Sky Italia
21/1/06 16:00 P4 Biarritz Olympique v Saracens Parc des Sports Aquiléra FR2 / Sky Sports
21/1/06 17:15 P1 Dragons v Castres Olympique Rodney Parade
21/1/06 17:15 P1 Munster v Sale Sharks Thomond Park RTE / Sky Sports More

22/1/06 13:00 P2 Leeds Tykes v Cardiff Blues Headingley Stadium Sky Sports
22/1/06 14:00 P2 Perpignan v Calvisano Stade Aime Giral
22/1/06 15:00 P5 Bath Rugby v Leinster The Recreation Ground Sky Sports
22/1/06 15:00 P5 Glasgow Warriors v Bourgoin Firhill Stadium

Regarding Leeds fixture with Calvisano, the ERC will make a statement prior to this weekend's fixtures but it won't be played now before the Round 6 fixtures, seems a bit unfair, fixture should have been played midweek as the precedent had been set before with Leinster and Newcastle.

can't wait till this weekends game especially saracens as this is probably the biggest game the club has ever had, but as i said it is make or break for so many teams and i just hope that we can pull something out the bag as i dont want heineken cup rugby to end here.
bring on biarritz

In all the permutations I forgot that if Sarries just win, just win I know it's a huge ask, but if they do then they top the group leaving Biarritz on 20 pts with a decent chance of getting a runner up spot provided Bath and Sale can do them a favour.

Seriously I don't know what the hell or who the hell is running the ERC with the news that Leeds have been awarded 5 points for their fixture with Calvisano, they gave Leeds the points after charging Calvisano with misconduct for failing to prepare a suitable match venue and refusal to fulfill a rescheduled fixture when directed to by ERC.

This is a pile of crap the ref said the pitch was playable on Sunday, yet it was the Leeds coach who said it wasn't, refs word should be final. It was clearly Leeds who refused to fulfill the fixture not Calvisano.

If that's the case Newcastle should have been charged with misconduct in 2002 and the points awarded to leinster and we'd have had a better chance of preparing properly before the Toulouse match when they hockeyed us cause we were shattered and lost Nathan Spooner in the rescheduled game. They're a joke.

Totally agree - seems a crazy decision, especially as it puts Leeds level with Cardiff and the two play each other for 2nd place in the group on Sunday. Thin i'll actually find myself wanting awelsh team to beat an english one..... i need a shower.

It just devalues the competition if a team qualifies for the quarter final by getting points by default.

The ERC decision is weird according to what we all know. There must be something which has not been made public yet.

You'd think so but the ERC weren't very forthcoming in their statement.

Just can't get my head around this, it was Leeds who refused to play not Calvisano, how can they be charged with misconduct for failing to prepare a suitable match venue when the referee deemed it playable?

its is a shocking decision

i cant wait for this weekend of rugby - its going to be huge with some massive games

munster vs sale
bath vs leinster
blues vs leeds
saracens vs biarritz

Leinster have made 2 changes from the team which beat Glasgow last weekend, with Will Green and Jamie Heaslip returning to the pack instead of Emmet Byrne and Eric Miller. Backs are unchanged, so no Kearney again, didn't see last weekend's game but Hickie hasn't convinced me since his return that he deserves a spot ahead of Kearney.

All kicks off tonight though with Stade Français desperate for a 5 point haul against the Ospreys and Leicester looking to secure a home quarter final with an away win in Clermont.

Tigers win in Clermont to go through, Varndell scoring four tries. Stade utterly bum Ospreys 45-10.

stephen jones looked very good behind a beaten side - he looked really lively and always seemed to be looking for work - good omens for wales.

Latest posts