• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

HB STUDIOS Q&A vol. 3

We need more customisation

Player creator on the old rugby games were shocking!
Can you guys make it more like a FIFA or NBA create a player????

Also, hurry up! Dying for another rugby game! I've gone through 4 PS2's and need some new players!

Also Player ratings need to be more accurate from the last bunch of games...

That is all for now!:)

Game has to have a career mode of some sort. i understand that hb are trying to get the gameplay right which is fair enough but even a basic manager mode or something would make the game that much more appealing.

Not on PC?!
That is:
a) Missing a HUGE market gap.
b)Totally messed up.
c)Annoying because I'm on PC.
d)Totally messed up!

One of the main reasons I joined the Rugby forum so I could here more about Rugby 2012 and now it's not on PC. Grrrr....

get a ps3 man

And PLEASE HB can yous do something about the speed of players? on rugby 08 and most of the rugby games I have habana trying to out run the front rows but they still catch up can you guys fix that.. because in a real game the fittest backline can out ran the fowards

No sport games are on PC anymore, i bought an xbox just so i could play the latest NHL lol.

get a ps3 man

I know that hardly any sports games are sold on PC any more but lets get one thing straight; One day the PS3 and the Xbox 360 are gonna go out of date (Even if that's not relatively soon). PCs will never die out. Ever.
Also in case you don't know Sony has only just got the PS3 to pay for itself. Its been out for years now and sold millions, but because they invested so much on extras for it (Blu-ray, HD games, Some 3D Games), the sales have only just payed for the cost of all the extras they put into the project. That's why Sony havn't even considered a PS4 yet and why I'm not getting a Playstation, and I won't get an Xbox because the online costs money, and the graphics aren't even close to the PS3 (Sorry Xbox gamers.)
My machine is a bog standard Windows XP Pro with a Nvidea GTX 240 graphics card and the graphics can be just as good as on a console.

That's no different to one day your PC will go out of date. Probably sooner in fact. And the console will be cheeper to replace as PCs move further and further away from the old upgrade mentality and turn into a ready-out-the-box method like Macs.

Besides, there should be another good 5 years in the 360 and PS3 yet.

As for the visuals, they only depend on 2 things:
1. If the developers are lazy or not- There are still PS3 and Xbox games that look like they belong on an N64.
2. If the game is multi format - They will be developed so they run on the lowest common denominator. It happened with the Snes & Megadrive, the Saturn/Dreamcast & PS1, Xbox & PS2 and now the PS3 and 360. The developers don't/won't develop a game twice, so will develop it to make sure the slower of both systems. Any visual tweaks that come from game will be from the individual machine firmware mechanics: The PS3 has higher contrast on the colours while the 360 tends to brighten the image.

Plus console gaming saves a ton of mucking about with setting up the "quirks" of of optimising. And piracy isn't as rife therefore the publishers aren't as likely to drop a ***le like a hot stone because they're not seeing a return on their investment.

can the guys in HB at least give us weekly updates rather than 2-3 months later. maybe just show what part of the game yous are working on and maybe get some feedback.

i agree with mate_ma'ta_tonga because i look everyday and i get quite annoyed when i see there is nothing new :(.....

We won't have anything to tell you for a while I'm afraid. But trust me when I say that's really really good news! :)

I don't really mind the lack of info, at the end of the day it shows that HB are hard at work doing the game rather than fussing about tweaking screenshots etc for public viewing. I can see a "proper" update (screenshots etc) around 6 nations.... TBH that would be the best way to create hype, get some advertising in match day programmes - I'm sure the rugby community will promote the game (cause its the first in a while). Till then i'll be watching all the games i can and be playing RLL to death (only just received it through the post after a 3 week wait). Can't wait to see what we have in store especially because theres two games in time for the world cup :D :D

Are we likely to get a little peek before Christmas or new year? That would launch me so happily into 2011!

EA do make games.
EA Canada made Fight Night Round 4 and FIFA 11 and correct me if I'm wrong but I think NBA and NHL also.
And then EA publish those games made.

Yes, EA Canada. Much like how EA LA made C&C 4. But this isn't actually Electronic Arts, it's still developers they've set up or taken over. For example, EA LA was the remnants of what was once the independent "Westwood Studios". Now, after the abysmal and deserved failure that was C&C4 EA LA was shut down, but that's not the same as EA going bankrupt if you follow me. It simply means that a subsidiary has no longer proved profitable. And that's what these EA devs are, subsidiaries. They are beholden to EA, but that doesn't make EA a developer; it simply means that EA controls a vast number of developers, some of whom it owns directly and others it merely contracts for specific projects, but these are still separate organs. It's quite possible for EA Canada to be bought out by a rival gaming corporation and then given a new ***le to reflect that publisher.

In any case it doesn't change the fact that EA have the means to fund the development of a great rugby game if they really wanted to, but they have consciously decided that Rugby is not for them and that it doesn't deserve the kind of investment that American Football and Soccer command.

In any case it doesn't change the fact that EA have the means to fund the development of a great rugby game if they really wanted to, but they have consciously decided that Rugby is not for them and that it doesn't deserve the kind of investment that American Football and Soccer command.
Or even MMA... :(

when will the next update be or can you put a weekly diary on youtube because that would make everyone here happy

Guys this will be the first Rugby game on next gen. Lets just thank baby jesus and all the guys with the brains (devs) and the guys backing this with real money that we are getting one finally. For those of you who think they will get something like Rugby League Live that will not be the case. Rugby 08 was leaps and bounds ahead of the league game and I have no doubt that 2012 will destroy all aspects of RLL!

Everyone wants a manager mode similar to FIFA (Even tho FIFA manager has serious flaws with regards to many, many things including SPL season finishing at 33 games with the remainder 5 not accruing any points towards the overall league ladder, WTF!!!) but I think something like what they had done previously may be a little more realistic where you can play a whole season then once finished game over (E.g. Super 14). That would be a good addition to 2012 which would add to the longevity. Obviously this would not include player trades and we should all be OK with that because realistically players do not move from club to club as they do in soccer anyway.

That being said this is what they really need to work on...

1. Gameplay at breakdown... This would have to be one of the hardest things to get right and the most important. Maybe something simlilar to button timing like what you see on Guitar hero- as players go into the ruck/maul the team which has most forwards or suporting players closer to the breakdown having less or easier combinations of sequence ( PS3 x, x, x, x, o, o as oppossed to x, o, triangle, x, triangle, o,o if that makes any sense???) to give a realistic advantage also player skill would need to be implemented. Maybe including the R1 button with the button sequence mentioned for quick ball recycle at the cost of increased probibilty of knock ons or penalties? This is not button mashing it is button timing. For those who do not want to complicate the controls at the breakdown I would say that this part of the game must be complex because it is the very part that makes Rugby Union uniuqe from all other codes and achieve a game seperate from anything we have seen before. Forwards must be given the ability to make a difference in this game or else it will become a "who has the fastest winger" game.

2. Sliders. 2K sports and the guys who make MLB 'The show' out of San Diego are the masters at this. Even Madden 11 with all its fumble and break tackle bugs and OL crumble etc etc. is playable once a fully researched slider set has been implemented. This is so important as if something like knock ons become to prevalent you can adjust knock ons to being less frequent- It can make a huge difference to gameplay even make a game playable that is not playable when on default settings (ala Madden).

3. Licensing is important but player likeness not so at this early stage. Just make sure the guys have the right skin colour and hair length and colour. Dont worry about player create/ Team custom mode. We want a realistic game not one with me playing as an All Black at centre or Paraparaumu college playing in the super 14. Do not waste time and resources on this please! at least not yet.

4. Dont worry about making it fun for fickle people.....Dont add any silly features like 3 v 3 online or player mode where you move up the ranks to play for your country. This cannot be done unless the game is fully authentic and will take years to even get anywhere near games like The Show or 2k11 NBA(And even those guys dont have it anywhere close to 100%).

5. Online play. All features like WC online similar to Madden online franchise(One of the greatest ideas EA have ever come up with although have not extended on the platform since 10 which is a shame) could be something added in the next version but for now just keep it basic. Us hardcores will develop websites for our competitions like we have been for many, many years so all we need is flexible game options like weather stadium selection squad selection strip selection before the game commences(Dont miss this one- the last thing we need is a WC quarter final between Scotland and New Zealand in the mud). Updated rosters would be good but not something we need straight away if to hard to implement.

Thats all for now as I really do have to get back to work.

Thanks again to all those responsible for getting this game up and running and to all those involved with the development of this game.

Last edited:
Originally posted by BullittThat's no different to one day your PC will go out of date. Probably sooner in fact. And the console will be cheeper to replace as PCs move further and further away from the old upgrade mentality and turn into a ready-out-the-box method like Macs.
What I meant was that there will be nothing to stop me using Windows 98/XP/Vista/7/Whatever in one hundred years time, same with consoles.
But the difference with PCs is that if I have Windows ME or better, I can upgrade to Windows 7 Pro for less than it costs to but a console, and 99% of the time, keep my 'good-as-a-console' graphics card.
You can't upgrade the original Playstation into a PS3, or the original Xbox into a 360.
Also on the subject of 'Pace-of-the-worst-console' and all that, a PC with a reasonable graphics card is level a PS3 for graphics content and a megabucks expensive gaming PC (see Acer Predator!) is way better.

Kind of off subject, but is it just a rumour that someone's trying to make a network so that all consoles, and PC can play each other online (Kinda like a Games for Playstation Network Live kinda thing)?

It's always hyped up about how "PC GRAFIX PWNS CONSOLEZ", but at the end of the day a game is developed to look as equal as it can on all platforms.

The exception being DiRT 2, which implemented DX10. They spent all that extra money on the game to re-develop it and have the "extra visual detail" - Which required a £2000 PC I may add - But anyone who says they could tell the difference between that and a 360 version running side by side while playing (instead of doing the usual "oh, well if I take this screenshot and zoom in to this one inch square" rubbish) is a bare faced liar.

Great point Bullit, especially with the HD cables that consoles provide now and the fact that TV's have improved 10 fold over the past few years.

Latest posts