• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

HB STUDIOS Q&A vol. 3

It is important in this day and age, that the trophy/achievement list be fun, varied, not too online heavy (but still feature a few online ones) and of course achievable. Around 40/50 trophies is the norm these days.

No, I understood. My point stands - they could release this any time, but they choose to rush out their product before RWC to maximise sales. I'm not saying I think the game is going to suck completely, but I am saying it looks as though it will be severely lacking in comparison to a lot of other sports ***les.

If they were that committed to delivering the best possible product they might hold back on releasing this until they have something that will really blow people away. Maybe they already have that, but from the sheer number of things they've said won't change from 08 I can't see that being the case.

I understand where you are coming from, but if they don't maximize their sales when the opportunity is presented then they will just have less funds/budget for the next time they create a rugby game. So yes maybe they are rushing the game, but I am fine with that as profit and growth leads to re-investment with then more profit and growth.

It is also about getting investors. Investors don't care that the game was ****, they want to see how much sales figures, potential growth in the market place and the profit generated. So I still hope the game is great, but if not hopefully the marketing strategy does and it leads to huge growth that turns into a yearly game that is constantly evolving.<O:p</O:p

I understand where you are coming from, but if they don't maximize their sales when the opportunity is presented then they will just have less funds/budget for the next time they create a rugby game. So yes maybe they are rushing the game, but I am fine with that as profit and growth leads to re-investment with then more profit and growth.

It is also about getting investors. Investors don't care that the game was ****, they want to see how much sales figures, potential growth in the market place and the profit generated. So I still hope the game is great, but if not hopefully the marketing strategy does and it leads to huge growth that turns into a yearly game that is constantly evolving.<O:p</O:p

The difference is this time they have competition, and by the looks of it the competition has a genuinely enticing offering. I'd really like to like this game, don't get me wrong, but by the looks of it the other crowd have really listened to what the market wants rather than merely paying lip service to it.

Is anyone else bored of the Sidhe propaganda being posted on here?

Is anyone else bored of the Sidhe propaganda being posted on here?

I don't think it's a deliberate plot, I just think there are far too many people writing-off a game in which they have little information about, because of a game which is offering plenty of extras. Despite some of the complaints that people have, I still think EA Rugby 06 and 08 created the most enjoyable rugby game to date, with the game play giving a real sense of rugby, with it overall being quite a smooth and enjoyable representation of rugby. I'm not saying that Sidhe won't create a good rugby game, heck I'll probably buy both. Rugby games don't come around very often, so I think it's great that there are two games coming out within a short period of time from one another, I just will want to see the finished articles from both games, before I whinge about either.

As it so happens, licencing is all well and good, unless it's to a game which comes up short in terms of game play. I wish both games would have the licencing but it will all come down to which is the more enjoyable and finished product, not the one in which the names and logos are the most correct. I'm looking forward to what HB can show us, and I'm sure it'll be worth the wait ;).

not that much poor gameplay haha
I mean if all they did was update the roster and stats of current teams and players, as well as the competitions, and leave the gameplay as the same as Rugby 08 it wouldn't worry me to pay $100 for it

Despite some of the complaints that people have, I still think EA Rugby 06 and 08 created the most enjoyable rugby game to date, with the game play giving a real sense of rugby, with it overall being quite a smooth and enjoyable representation of rugby.

Rugby in most countries is just a minority sport. Any country that seriously develops games like the US and the UK will see Rugby as a massive gamble.. as most gamers/people have no idea how it works, or give a toss about any other sport apart from football.. it's not particularly viable, unless you can tie-it-up with the major showpiece event, which is the RWC. That's not the developers fault.

I'm glad there's even a 3rd game coming. I expect it will be much of the same.. an economy version if you like that will please fans, and divide purists.. because we all have expectations. I remember playing Rugby Challenge. The game played well-ish, but it wasn't at all realistic.. it was more like RL actually.

I remember playing Rugby 08 for the first time after playing RC and thinking how great the game was, it was licensed mostly and very playable. I think the fact that we are still modding the game 3-4 years after release is a true testiment.

What we do need is an evolution of the game really.. i agree on that. It has to be more modern and be up there as much as it can be with other ***les in other sports. The fact is, if HB put all our suggetions into a game, it'd take more like 5 years and we'd still not be happy. Even when a phenomenal game like NBA 2K9 comes out, you will have plenty of haters.

This is a computer game. It has limits. Even FIFA has limits.. it's just our game is extremely low budget.. and we have to accept it is not going to be all-singing and all-dancing. I'd rather have a solid game that's looks nice, has replay value and is challenging than a game that has all the finer points, looks like a Michelangelo but plays like a one-legged donkey.

With games these days with DLC, it's well possible the game may well be a massive hit and they will get it up to scratch later.

Even EA had to cancel NBA Elite after it's best ever NBA Live game, so HB are doing well to even get a best-seller out.

Most people here musn't know that FIFA 11 was one of the most bug ridden games made!
And EA couldn't care less about fixing it so to be honest I would prefer EA not to be announced as publishers of this game.

EA are being outplayed by other companies who seem to have their act together more than EA!

Oh yea definately!
They are showing no loyalty whatsoever to their millions of customers spending their hard earned cash on their games. Especially when most of their games are being bought more than once a year by many people.

Even EA had to cancel NBA Elite after it's best ever NBA Live game, so HB are doing well to even get a best-seller out.
I'd wait until it's out before saying it is, especially when you've mentioned Elite in the same sentence. ;)

I just feel, that unless they go all out on this game (regardless of the cost), and make it to the best of their ability by incorporating things like manager mode, maybe a similar feature to be a pro on fifa, player improvement, fluid gameplay that doesn't seem robotic, more leagues, more teams it will just end up like many of the other brands who have made rugby games e.g. them not taking enough of a gamble and making it the best ever rugby game created with lots of different and realistic features, which results in it not selling enough games and then them not bothering to make another game as a result.

Please please please be brave and burst the bank on this game, because then and only then will you attract more customers and be able to start bringing out a regular new yearly/two yearly addition of the game that continually improves. Because lets be honest, as of late, every game that comes out is low budgeted and is pretty similar to every other game that has gone before it.

pretty depressing interview. they practically shot down every idea the forum gave them, saying "that will not be the focus of our game" or that they wouldnt change anything. to be honest, is there anything new they've told us here apart from "the game looks great"?

by the way, is this some sort of EA Games hate rally? who cares, to be honest they make the best sports games and have a lot of money, so i dont know why all these people would complain should EA become developers.

Last edited:

Latest posts