• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Hardest men in Rugby - past or present

Does being dirty make you hard?

Well, you can have hard villains. Colin Meads got hold of Ken Catchpole once and snapped bits off him.

Johnno broke Duncan McRea. Lions fans smiled and notched it up to karma.

P.S.

Totally agree with Canadian_Rugger for championing Jamie Cudmore. I love that guy. He's like Mickey Rourke's character Marv from Sin City, blatently born about 1000 years too late!

Last edited:
Well, you can have hard villains. Colin Meads got hold of Ken Catchpole once and snapped bits off him.

Johnno broke Duncan McRea. Lions fans smiled and notched it up to karma.

P.S.

Totally agree with Canadian_Rugger for championing Jamie Cudmore. I love that guy. He's like Mickey Rourke's character Marv from Sin City, blatently born about 1000 years too late!

The guy is a total animal! He is the last of an old breed of Canadian rugby player that we have moved away from which is unfortunate because we used to have a forward pack with players that didn't take one step back. Like I said before, he has done time in jail as well and in his younger days was considered one mean SOB.

tumblr_mnxy5yn45k1qcvq4wo1_500.jpg

Last edited:
I object!

That dude never stopped *****ing and moaning to referees.

You're going to hate this, like, way past just an annoying joke, but here goes:
at least he's not actually cheating the entire 80minutes of every single one of his 120+ test matches on the field like a certain Richeat McCaw.... : rolleyes :

And, facts be given with no bias or complex....Rocky Elsom...rock hard.

Do you remember when Chabal hit Alli Williams?

Ali Williams breaks his jaw from Sebastien Chabal:

That's hard!!!

131108045617161677.jpg

131108045615947243.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Mamuka Gorgodze

And Henry Tuilagi

Last edited by a moderator:
You're going to hate this, like, way past just an annoying joke, but here goes:
at least he's not actually cheating the entire 80minutes of every single one of his 120+ test matches on the field like a certain Richeat McCaw.... : rolleyes :

And, facts be given with no bias or complex....Rocky Elsom...rock hard.

Meh, it's about as funny/annoying as everything else you say. Take that which way you like.

As for Elsom - he was stipped from being captain because of how he talked to referees, it was embarrassing. I don't think I've ever noticed him making any particularly big hits or play an enforcer role. He was reasonably ****ly at the breakdown, but I just don't see how he's amongst the hardest players...

Meh, it's about as funny/annoying as everything else you say. Take that which way you like.

As for Elsom - he was stipped from being captain because of how he talked to referees, it was embarrassing. I don't think I've ever noticed him making any particularly big hits or play an enforcer role. He was reasonably ****ly at the breakdown, but I just don't see how he's amongst the hardest players...

theeeeeeere it is...thanks for reminding me why I haven't replied to you in some time !

Please don't feel the need to break momentum and start up again.

Gratuitous meanness, uncalled for, 100% deliberate, and abundant. So, so unjustifiable !...God bless you man, you need it. I'm not saying I don't need it, I do very much. But you sure do too.

Surely Neil Best will have to be in this list somewhere

You guys are kidding with some of these nominations. Modern players almost don't qualify purely due to the nature of the game these days, i.e. You can't do any of the brutal stuff that used to be pretty standard. Club rugby in NZ almost used to be a running battle in the 60s/70s/early 80s. Some names from NZ; Mark 'cowboy' Shaw, Gary 'axle' Knight, Frank 'filth Oliver. Some of the stories about these guys are legendary in the Manawatu rugby, e.g. Oliver knocked out a teammate for kicking an opposition player in the head.

Put a modern player in one of those old games and they'd be bigger and faster, but would get the **** beaten out of them the first time they were in a ruck. SBW would last about 4 minutes.

What about the Namibian, Schalk Van De Merwe who wrestled a lion and has a crap load of wild stories about him....http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/rugbyunion/international/2423473/Tarzan-is-alive-and-kicking-and-playing-for-Namibia.html

Loved Canadian Rugger's pick of Norm Hadley, guy was a monster, 6'8", 21 stone. Here's a great story of former England player Jason Leonard (a big enough man himself) punching him as hard as he could at a ruck, to which Norm replied..."is that all you got princess" LMFAO :D

http://www.rfu.com/twickenhamstadium/worldrugbymuseum/walloffame/jasonleonard.aspx

Latest posts