Academy Player
Country Flag
Ireland
Club or Nation
Ulster
Micky Skinner
Peter 'The Claw' Clohessy
Wayne Shelford
Trevor Brennen (Ire) - saw him knock out a Saffa supporter during an Ireland A game in Pretoria. Said Saff was giving Trev abuse as he was sitting on the subs bench. Trev called the guy down from the stand saying he couldnt hear him. The Saffa obliged, said he what he had to say (something about knowing Trevs mother apparently) and he was knocked two rows back. BOSH

Any others?

Micky Skinner
Peter 'The Claw' Clohessy
Wayne Shelford
Trevor Brennen (Ire) - saw him knock out a Saffa supporter during an Ireland A game in Pretoria. Said Saff was giving Trev abuse as he was sitting on the subs bench. Trev called the guy down from the stand saying he couldnt hear him. The Saffa obliged, said he what he had to say (something about knowing Trevs mother apparently) and he was knocked two rows back. BOSH

Any others?
This sir, is incorrect. He hit one of Gods people... Thats right an Ulster fan... And it was in belfast not as exciting as Pretoria... And he was playing for Toulouse

EDIT: Story below
http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/rugby_union/my_club/ulster/6459417.stm

@irelandfan123 - you are quite correct, I do recall that incident (some accountant you would like your daughter to marry - poor fella), but the Pretoria incident happened also. The man clearly has form.

For me I put Brad Thorn and Jerry Collins in that list. Both dudes just never took a step back and were the two best enforcers I've seen.

My father swears by 'Cowboy' Mark Shaw as one of the toughest players.

Wayne 'Buck' Shelford and Joe Worsely for having their "sack" ripped open after being stamped on during a ruck; both went off and had it sewn back up and then played on. Ouch; respect!!!

Rocky Elsom.
I've been watching quite some Tri-Nation matches from around 2008-2011...this guy is incredible. He looks like the obscure hero from some of those action movies, never caught smiling, always with a straight face, never satisfied with what's going on, taciturn - talks very little, and always fighting for his team with no credit expected.

That dude...is HARD.

Rocky Elsom.
I've been watching quite some Tri-Nation matches from around 2008-2011...this guy is incredible. He looks like the obscure hero from some of those action movies, never caught smiling, always with a straight face, never satisfied with what's going on, taciturn - talks very little, and always fighting for his team with no credit expected.

That dude...is HARD.

I object!

That dude never stopped *****ing and moaning to referees.

My picks:

1. Norm Hadley from Canada, who was actually voted by BBC as the hardest man in not just rugby but in all sport. He was a member of the team in the early 90's, when the team took many tier 1 scalps and were known for their uncompromising and brutal in your face style and was the centrepiece of that style that Canada played at the time. He played for Wasps in the UK and on the London Subway roughed up a bunch of hooligans who were harrassing a woman and won national praise in the UK.

z-Wasps7214Squad1.jpg

2. Jamie Cudmore, the guy looks like he just escaped from a maximum security prison. He did jail time in Canada when he was younger and used to be an enforcer for a drug gang. He also started playing rugby after he got out of jail because in his words, "he was allowed to beat people up and not go to jail"... hahaha

CUDMORE

Last edited:
Buck Shelford any day! Richies pretty tough though aswel to play through a rwc with a broken foot in three places, and to constantly be a victum of dirty play and never retaliate excessively or moan about it.

Buck Shelford any day! Richies pretty tough though aswel to play through a rwc with a broken foot in three places, and to constantly be a victum of dirty play and never retaliate excessively or moan about it.

McCaw takes a lot of damage - but you know if someone did it to Thorn or especially Collins - they'd spend the rest of their lives flinching and drooling into watered down soup.

Remember when John Smit shoved Thorn's face in the dirt?

What qualifies as a hard man in rugby??

Because Gavin Henson could also fall under this category for completely different reasons...

I thought I said /thread.

C'mon, Tiaan Strauss wrestled and put down grown Wildebeest in his spare time for practice. Top that.

Last edited:

Latest posts