• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Gun incidents

Rather ironically most sporting dog breeds are for use after someone's shot something with a gun. Without guns you probably would not have numerous retriever breeds.

ok, so what was the point you were making? i was saying they had benefits outside of their dangerous aspects
Point is the benefits of privately owning a dog are pretty much the same as owning a gun. Obviously guide dogs being a massive exception but why does someone need to own an Rottweiler? Or a Doberman? Or a dog that serves no purpose but personal gratification? Dogs have benefits, rescue dogs, guard dogs, sniffer dogs and guide dogs but why does anyone outside those groups need to own a dog, especially as the ability to buy a dangerous dog breed is easier (in the UK) than buying a gun and to own a gun in the UK you have a strict vetting process and all guns are carefully registered....unlike dogs and their owners..

Then the bigger one.

Apparently he is the second person killed at a traffic stop and there were 13 last year.

The policeman has been charged.

By law French police are allowed to shoot in five instances following a 2017 change in the law.
That includes when the driver or occupants of a vehicle ignore an order to stop and are deemed to pose a risk to the officer's life or physical safety, or other people's.

This seems a little excessive, and by a little I mean very.

Then the bigger one.

Apparently he is the second person killed at a traffic stop and there were 13 last year.

The policeman has been charged.

By law French police are allowed to shoot in five instances following a 2017 change in the law.
That includes when the driver or occupants of a vehicle ignore an order to stop and are deemed to pose a risk to the officer's life or physical safety, or other people's.

This seems a little excessive, and by a little I mean very.
So if someone is driving a car in a way that's endangering life the police shouldn't do what they can to stop them? Don't forget someone in France killed a lot of people using a truck as a weapon

So if someone is driving a car in a way that's endangering life the police shouldn't do what they can to stop them? Don't forget someone in France killed a lot of people using a truck as a weapon
I don't believe that 13 people last year were going to attack people with cars. It's a slippery slope as to what constitutes 'danger'. We've seen it in America where people can claim they feel threaten by someone ringing their doorbell or driving up the wrong driveway.

I don't believe that 13 people last year were going to attack people with cars. It's a slippery slope as to what constitutes 'danger'. We've seen it in America where people can claim they feel threaten by someone ringing their doorbell or driving up the wrong driveway.
No it's completely different. You can use a vehicle as a deadly weapon as the French know.

No it's completely different. You can use a vehicle as a deadly weapon as the French know.
It's not completely different. The base premise behind stand your ground and police shooting people who don't stop is fear. Shoot first before I or someone else gets hurt. It's fine if someone was going on to kill people, but there are plenty of examples where people are killed by mistake. It becomes a slippery slope because what constitutes fear? That's not a legal definition that's a subjective human emotion. On top you will now have men of black, African and Middle Eastern heritage being more worried they might be shot when stopped by police and so more likely to run, which in turn makes it more likely that they will be shot. For me any situation of shoot first and ask questions later is very dangerous and morally questionable, especially when you will still have racial bias playing a determining factor.

As this is a thread about guns, not dogs, I'm not going to do much here, but...

How much loyalty and companionship does your gun give you?
What are the health benefits of gun ownership? Physical and mental?
If I was to guess I would say the answers to these would be pretty straight forward for a lot of gun lovers. The physical benefit is it keeps you alive. If you live in the hood and witness lots of your friends getting killed you're going to feel a bit safer carrying which will help your anxiety and overall mental health and just being an object you know where you stand with regard to loyalty so it won't let you down.

I'm obviously on your side on this but I can definitely see there's certain environments that are so violent that having a gun must bring some degree of comfort whether misplaced or not.

If I was to guess I would say the answers to these would be pretty straight forward for a lot of gun lovers. The physical benefit is it keeps you alive. If you live in the hood and witness lots of your friends getting killed you're going to feel a bit safer carrying which will help your anxiety and overall mental health and just being an object you know where you stand with regard to loyalty so it won't let you down.

I'm obviously on your side on this but I can definitely see there's certain environments that are so violent that having a gun must bring some degree of comfort whether misplaced or not.
Not blaming you here but I don't see how it's any sort of rational argument to say the reason we need guns is to provide safety against all the people with guns. It's looking purely at the position of guns for defence whilst completely ignoring they are only required due to the prevalence of guns in the first place. It's a snowball argument, there are guns therefore you need more guns to protect you against the guns, therefore you need even more guns to protect you against the more guns, therefore you need even even more guns...

It lists guns as a solution to a problem cause by guns whilst ignoring the fact guns are contributing heavily to the problem in the first place.

Didn't know you were quite that local to me.

Looks like 1 teacher stabbed, in hospital but doesn't appear to be critical, arrest made nice and quickly and all kids safe.

Of course, that's the 2nd knife incident here in as many years, with 1 fatality between them (despite Mr Stabby #1's best efforts).

Thank f... we don't have many guns around here (despite the whole "you do know there are more guns in the country" thing)

Beginning to think there's something more than just sewerage in the water here!

Latest posts